Max Load for safety question..is there a way to know

This is a discussion on Max Load for safety question..is there a way to know within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not the brightest bulb on the tree but how do you know the safe grain count for a given handgun. I decided to get a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Max Load for safety question..is there a way to know

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Not the brightest bulb on the tree but how do you know the safe grain count for a given handgun.

I decided to get a G26..and with standard hollow points, and plus P's and different grain counts how do you know what is safe for the weapon you have without doing damage to the weapon.....

Thanks
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Are you referring to bullet weight or grains of powder in the load? If bullet size....any of the 9mm loads you can buy should be ok. I shoot 124 grain but 115 and 147 are ok too.

Yes, I am referring to grains of powder....what is max safe in this gun...+p, +P+, standard or what. I don't want to damage the weapon.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I have a G26 and I feel safe shooting +p or the Federal +p+ load. She'll handle them fine.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Not the brightest bulb on the tree but how do you know the safe grain count for a given handgun.

I decided to get a G26..and with standard hollow points, and plus P's and different grain counts how do you know what is safe for the weapon you have without doing damage to the weapon.....

Thanks
    With factory loaded ammunition, I wouldn't worry much about doing damage to the weapon. Running a ton of overpressure ammo (+P and +P+) through it may cause a little premature wear, but shooting a few here and there isn't going to hurt anything. The "grain count" on a box of factory ammo refers to the weight of the bullet and has nothing to do with the amount of powder. You may find that your G26 prefers a particular type of ammo though as far as reliability and accuracy goes. The only way to know which one for sure is to try out a few different brands, loads, and bullet weights.

Always read the manual that came with your firearm. If it is a second hand firearm, you can often find a manual on-line. You can also call the gun manufacturer. Follow their recommendations.

Great group of knowledgeable people here, but are you willing to trust your life with them? Is RETSEAL8976 really an ex-Seal/special-ops small arms expert, or 12 year old Timmy playing with his GI-Joe while typing on the computer. You'll never know.

GEnerally speaking, the the highest pressure ammunition that a manufacturer will admit to being within their limits is +p. The one exception to this rule I am aware of is HK, whose manuals state that their handguns are good to go with +p+ (meaning within warranted limits)

The only way you will know the grain weight of the powder in the rounds you are shooting is if you have loaded, or reloaded, the rounds yourself. If that is the case, you undoubtedly have reloading manuals which specifically list the recommended minimum and maximum powder charge for various bullets and powders. If you are reloading ammunition without the use of said manuals, then I would suggest you have less intelligence than you have demonstrated so far.

Ammunition manufacturers are unlikely to ever publish the actual load data on new ammunition, since they all consider their formula to be proprietary; much like the "secret sauce" recipes at barbecue contests.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

If anyone is interested, I found this....explains it well even to me...(lol)......but thanks for the input...I think the +P load in the Glock 26 will be just fine.

Thanks for the input...I appreciate it

http://http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_P_ammo.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post

Thanks
    As High Pockets said - the "grain count" you think you're talking about is something completely different than what makes a cartridge "+P" or "+P+". The "grain count" on the box of bullets is telling you how heavy the bullet is - in grains. 7000 grains is pound. So a one ounce bullet (like in a shotgun slug, for instance) weighs 437.5 grains. The weight of the bullet is going to have an effect on its initial velocity - typically it will be lower, since all ammo manufacturers are limited by SAAMI specs to a certain pressure for the caliber they are loading for. It takes more pressure to push a heavy bullet at the same speed as a lighter bullet. Since all the ammo is essentially the same pressure (unless it's +P or +P+), the heavier stuff will go slower. The trade off is that typically heavier ammunition retains more momentum, which can allow it to penetrate more deeply. There are lots of factors affecting penetration though.

Long story short - anything you can buy for your 9mm is fine. 115, 124, 127, 135, 147....not sure what other common weights are out there, as 9mm isn't my go to caliber.

Austin

I just hold them up to my ear and shake em to see if the powder has any extra room,if it makes a shaky noise you can cram a little more in there,until when you fire one you end up peeing down your leg,that there is a real +P load
    ANGLICO likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Okay, short answer--The sAAMI ma listed in a reloading manual os the hottest "normal" load you can make. +P is probably 60% hisher, +P+ is probably double that, up to the limit of case volume.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Okay, short answer--The sAAMI ma listed in a reloading manual os the hottest "normal" load you can make. +P is probably 50% higher, +P+ is probably double that, up to the limit of case volume.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

VIP Member
    Rule of thumb, check your owners manual. Bullet weight should have no effect. Round count has no effect. What you have to worry about is powder charge. Most modern guns are designed to handle +P rated loads. +P is normally figured at 10% over standard pressure ratings by SAAMI. +P+ rating is not recognized by SAAMI, however some manufacturers rate ammo as suchh. In those cases they are exceeding the standard pressure by more than 10%. Since there is not official standard for +P+ ammo, I know of no firearm amnufacturer who rate their guns for it.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Two ways--
    First: Call the powder manufacturer and ask to talk with one of their technicians. If it's a Hornady or other big name brand bullet, call them as well. Make sure they give you a 'yes' as far as loads. You're probably more likely to cause damage to even a +P+ rated gun by overpressure than +P load out of a non +P handgun.
    Second: Call the customer support line for your pistol. Unless you bought some Croatian cheap-o, there should be someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night prior who has knowledge about handloads through their pistol. Course, you always run the "We don't recommend shooting handloads" risk, but they may help you.
    Honorable Mention: refer to your owner's manual.

Many people on here will give you tribal knowledge opinions, but I trust only after verification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links