If you we're there at a mass shooting - Page 2

If you we're there at a mass shooting

This is a discussion on If you we're there at a mass shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only risk im seeing is if they saw you with weapon drawn or maybe came up while the fight was still on and somehow ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: If you we're there at a mass shooting

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    The only risk im seeing is if they saw you with weapon drawn or maybe came up while the fight was still on and somehow misidentified you as the primary aggressor. Other than that i'm not seeing some cop shooting you dead on the spot for printing or something.

It's hard to say what said person would do under such extreme circumstances... But i'd be carrying to save mine and other innocents so i'm sure i'd have to try and engage the threat. Otherwise, why carry at all.

Sure, it's mostly for personal protection. But in this situation im afraid i'd have to try and subdue the attacker with all means possible. Especially knowing that i'm the poor kids only hope.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Having a permit and carrying a gun does not make you a freelance police officer, more to the point if you try now you become the criminal. Not only are you not needed to respond to an active shooter situation that does not directly involve you at the moment it is happening. (ie you are at the other end of the mall) if you progress to the situation and engage, you have now crossed the line to being a criminal. For instance, you our outside that school today, hear shooting and kids running and screaming, bust through the door and see a man holding a gun, do you shoot him? If you said yes, you just killed an innocent man, he was a teacher that just happened to break the rules and carry a gun to work who was looking for the real shooter. You as a civilian are not required or allowed to make these decisions, that is for people with “training”. Doesn’t matter if they are right or wrong for the discussion, it’s the fact that you, by law, are not capable of making that decision. You may or may not be in real life, it’s not an insult, I’m just telling you what the law says. If you have a permit, and as the law is the same in all states with a carry permit that you are not a freelance police officer and that there are no “Good Samaritan” laws that cover the use of a firearm, you should know that you are only allowed to use deadly force when you or people that you have a personal relationship with (parent, spouse, child, employer or employees in OK) are in an immediate threat or danger….Mac
    NETim and 02R1 like this.
    “Qui Desiderat Pacem Praeparet Bellum” – “Pray For Peace, Prepare For War”

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Nobody knows how they may react with or without a CCW and I have been carring since 1955 and I can't answer, I have been a LEO and I can't answer and I have been in the military still have no answer. All I can say is pray that you are never put in that place
    You are truley blessed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTapSS View Post
    Having a permit and carrying a gun does not make you a freelance police officer, more to the point if you try now you become the criminal. Not only are you not needed to respond to an active shooter situation that does not directly involve you at the moment it is happening. (ie you are at the other end of the mall) if you progress to the situation and engage, you have now crossed the line to being a criminal. For instance, you our outside that school today, hear shooting and kids running and screaming, bust through the door and see a man holding a gun, do you shoot him? If you said yes, you just killed an innocent man, he was a teacher that just happened to break the rules and carry a gun to work who was looking for the real shooter. You as a civilian are not required or allowed to make these decisions, that is for people with “training”. Doesn’t matter if they are right or wrong for the discussion, it’s the fact that you, by law, are not capable of making that decision. You may or may not be in real life, it’s not an insult, I’m just telling you what the law says. If you have a permit, and as the law is the same in all states with a carry permit that you are not a freelance police officer and that there are no “Good Samaritan” laws that cover the use of a firearm, you should know that you are only allowed to use deadly force when you or people that you have a personal relationship with (parent, spouse, child, employer or employees in OK) are in an immediate threat or danger….Mac
    I'm not sure where you got your law degree, but you should demand a refund.
    wishyouwell, KBSR and limatunes like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm not sure where you got your law degree, but you should demand a refund.
    And why is that?

VIP Member
    And why is that?
    They gave you bad info.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

They gave you bad info.
    For the “record” of where I got my “law degree”. Oklahoma Police Academy as an active, full time police officer. And as a certified carry permit instructor currently in Oklahoma. So unless things are MASSIVLY different in Ohio, you may want to look into your laws as well.
    BritishAgent likes this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    There are no absolutes in this world. If I was their I have no idea what i would have done. Maybe first crap my pants! I know what i hope i would have done. In this type of situation its about changing the odds! People say well they first need to be "trained" while I agree, any presence of resistance has the potential to change the sitiuation giving us a completely different outcome. What we do know is that the terrorist in this situation are coward. Other wise they wouldn't take the easy way out they would fight to the death. In their minds they are in complete control and when met with any restance they off themselves. I would bet this guy killed himself at the first sound of a siren.

ps I am really starting to hate this auto correct on these phones.....
    okapi likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Afflicted View Post
    You could be in hot water because it seems to me that mass shootings more often than not only happen in "gun free zones"! I will take my chances.
    Exactly. And the gunmen KNOW and CHOOSE to open fire on innocent people where they know it is a "Gun Free" zone.

VIP Member
    For the “record” of where I got my “law degree”. Oklahoma Police Academy as an active, full time police officer. And as a certified carry permit instructor currently in Oklahoma. So unless things are MASSIVLY different in Ohio, you may want to look into your laws as well.
    So, you didn't really go to law school, and aren't a lawyer. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Ayn Rand

So, you didn't really go to law school, and aren't a lawyer. Thanks for clearing that up.
    I just happen to have the latest and greatest law book and course from our state, as we just implemented open carry and it has been updated, if you like I’ll give you my phone number and read you the material verbatim. Are you a lawyer sir? Exactly what is your occupation if I may ask?

VIP Member
    I just happen to have the latest and greatest law book and course from our state, as we just implemented open carry and it has been updated, if you like I’ll give you my phone number and read you the material verbatim. Are you a lawyer sir? Exactly what is your occupation if I may ask?
    I'm retired, which means you and I are identically qualified to offer legal advice.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Ayn Rand

All I can say is that I hope the training and education I have been given would direct me in the right path. I feel confident that, if I was herded into a room and the gunman came in and started shooting, I could stand up and fire on him to save my life. Do I KNOW this? Not a chance. I pray to God that I never have to be in that situation.

I'm retired, which means you and I are identically qualified to offer legal advice.
    Retired from what if I may ask? And actually, according to the state of Oklahoma I am more than qualified to give advice on carry laws, in fact I can be subpoenaed for it. Completed the required training and testing to teach it. And will be required to testify when my students do use lethal force as to what they were taught, so I take it very seriously.

Re: If you we're there at a mass shooting

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Since it will likely be 10 minutes or more for the police to get there; who is going to herd me anywhere? I'll have the wife go to a backroom, but as an 'ole Jarhead I'll go to the sound of the gunfire. Jarheads don't do well hiding, that's why we dig FIGHTING holes not foxholes. If you don't understand that's OK; it's a MARINE thing.
    I understand but this is not me. I will make my move away from gun fire with my five bullets and maybe a reload or two. My self defense philosophy, training and techniques are limited. My gun is just a weapon on par with a long stick but with more range. I would expect a bullet to have more or less the same effect as the well placed stick.

I would not shy away from a shot if the opportunity arose but I will cross no wilderness or no man's land to seek it out.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    Azchief likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links