new gun law could help stop tragedies like Newtown massacre

This is a discussion on new gun law could help stop tragedies like Newtown massacre within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; many private schools have such . . . good luck in the public sector...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: new gun law could help stop tragedies like Newtown massacre

many private schools have such . . . good luck in the public sector

2. Remove Ads

Living in Michigan I am looking forward to this passing. I will gladly take the additional training for the PFZ Exemption.
    As for teachers and school officials go, they are required to update and certify their teaching credentials, why can't it be written into their employment contract, that, if they choose to get their carry license and additional training for PFZ exemption, that they are required to take a refresher class with range time every year or two in the summer when they have 3-4 months off from school. They could set this up with a trained instructor over a week or 2 period.
    This would keep them up on training, improve their skills and knowledge, and if they fail to take the additional training they lose their ability to carry until they do take the training.

What just happened in CT couldn't be worse. There is no doubt in my mind that an armed teacher/staff could have at least reduced the damage.

many pvt schools have ccw types!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I am not sure how wide spread this is but here in my area we have what is called School Resource Officers. In one case here in Berea, KY. the former Police Chief is on duty and fully armed. The other two schools have officers assigned to the same position daily. They arrive before the students and remain there until school is out. Again, these to are also fully armed. Obviously one armed individual is hardly nothing more than a drop in the bucket but it is better than having someone 5-10 minutes away. All SRO's also have communication equipment that can operate on alll county frequencies as well as a county-wide mutual aid frequency. These people move about the school and have no real specific "office". The school itself is their office. Perhaps the most unique thing is that these people blen in well with the studants and facalty and often seen in the lunch room eating with the studants and interacting with them.

Some may think this is a heavy-handed approach but frankly, I like and if you speak to the students, they like it too.

Regards!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

My point was more directed at the issue of training teachers and staff to use force.
    My opinion, is that it would be safer to teach a person who is of mind to resist and fight, to be a school staff member. Rather than training people who might not be truly ready and willing to use weapons and force.
    Somone who really wants to, and does understand; how,why, and when to use force and the right amount of it.

No one wants Mrs. Smith, the math teacher, breaking up a fight between two 15 yr olds with a .45.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    many private schools have such . . . good luck in the public sector
    There just needs to be a suitable quality plan for effective recruitment of faculty/staff that either has such skills and who is willing to take on the responsibility. In time, the more-qualified candidates will be hired to fill more of the slots, just as with any other recruited skill/ability.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Saw this title, and clicked to the link expecting the worst, but was surprised by what I saw...

Michigan is considering allowing CC in schools. The legislation is apparently on the Governor's desk waiting to be signed.

Can Washington be next? I drop my daughter off every morning, and each and every morning I leave my carry rig locked in my car where: 1) it does me no good, and 2) is off my person, and therefore that much easier to steal.

In Michigan, supporters say new gun law could help stop tragedies like Conn. massacre | Michigan news | Detroit Free Press | Ifreep.com
    I too have a five year old I drop off at school. You should look closer at the gray areas of carrying on school property. The firearm is not allowed in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTapSS View Post
    That is AWSOME!! I would HAPPILY train teachers for free, without question.
    I would happily put up the money to help fund that. Of course that is after the teachers that are gonna carry have some sort of psyc evaluation. Wouldn't want one of our own turning on students. Seems like all these degenerates that shoot people up are all on some kind of anti depresents or other crazy meds.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    What just happened in CT couldn't be worse. There is no doubt in my mind that an armed teacher/staff could have at least reduced the damage.
    I completly agree. The only person that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by para owner View Post
    Living in Michigan I am looking forward to this passing. I will gladly take the additional training for the PFZ Exemption.
    As for teachers and school officials go, they are required to update and certify their teaching credentials, why can't it be written into their employment contract, that, if they choose to get their carry license and additional training for PFZ exemption, that they are required to take a refresher class with range time every year or two in the summer when they have 3-4 months off from school. They could set this up with a trained instructor over a week or 2 period.
    This would keep them up on training, improve their skills and knowledge, and if they fail to take the additional training they lose their ability to carry until they do take the training.
    sounds like u have thought this out for a while. Sounds like a great plan. If that were to happen here, I would support it. Of course with the cc teachers all getting psyc evaluations.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    we spend BILLIONS on airport security now its time to have a few armed guards at every school 24/7
    yeah...I'm not paying for that.

The people involved need to take more responsibility....teachers, school boards, parents. They need the LAWS to allow them to do so.

And let parents pay for guards if they want them.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I would of told Leyton the obvious reason for carrying in a school or day care is to prevent what just happened in Connecticut, Duh. Oh, thats right, we don't have Masters Degrees in Common Sense, NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    yeah...I'm not paying for that.

The people involved need to take more responsibility....teachers, school boards, parents. They need the LAWS to allow them to do so.

And let parents pay for guards if they want them.
    I was just saying if it came to them needing some kind of fund to help get the ball rolling, I would pitch in. My wife is almost at the point of just home schooling our kids. But ya I could see your point too. But if it came down to that I would help.and besides the teachers are all already in the classes. Would make more sense to arm them instead of one guard for the whole building. Then each classroom would be ready to bring the fight to the threat, instead of waiting helplessly while the guard comes to their aid.

Great idea. And makes a lot of sense to us who understand the defensive capability of armed+responsible people, but unfortunately the public educators aren't wanting to be that responsible (the masses in general). It will continue to be a blame game and demonize the guns. They will deny any ability to help, and call for big brother to make schools safe.

As for that CC in school proposal, Anti gunnies will say "then the bad guys would have guns on them legally in schools."

I Think a TSA version for schools would be the only option our society will consider, because it's currently not intelligent enough to arm and train educators.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links