new gun law could help stop tragedies like Newtown massacre

This is a discussion on new gun law could help stop tragedies like Newtown massacre within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Maximpactguns Why isn't your story on the mainstream media news? It's ridiculous when you find a fair answer to a problem its ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: new gun law could help stop tragedies like Newtown massacre

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    Why isn't your story on the mainstream media news? It's ridiculous when you find a fair answer to a problem its always ignored on guns
    If this story were to appear in the main stream news media, it'll be with a huge spin, making look like a crazy idea. There will be no fair reporting of facts unfortunately.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by brazildsm View Post
    I was just saying if it came to them needing some kind of fund to help get the ball rolling, I would pitch in. My wife is almost at the point of just home schooling our kids. But ya I could see your point too. But if it came down to that I would help.and besides the teachers are all already in the classes. Would make more sense to arm them instead of one guard for the whole building. Then each classroom would be ready to bring the fight to the threat, instead of waiting helplessly while the guard comes to their aid.
    I think all the instructors offering to teach teachers is awesome.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Typical MEA leader (bleeding heart liberal) thinking...

“Those who think that students and teachers will be safer with more guns in our schools are just plain wrong,” said MEA President Steve Cook in a written statement. “Thinking that teachers should carry weapons and fire on threats is a recipe for even more death—not safety.”

This guy has no idea about what 'gun-free safety zones' do for the criminal.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Typical MEA leader (bleeding heart liberal) thinking...

“Those who think that students and teachers will be safer with more guns in our schools are just plain wrong,” said MEA President Steve Cook in a written statement. “Thinking that teachers should carry weapons and fire on threats is a recipe for even more death—not safety.”

This guy has no idea about what 'gun-free safety zones' do for the criminal.OMOYMV
    You're right, he (the MEA pres) doesn't get it.

Perhaps he'd get the idea in a different setting: he's placed in an arena along with a hungry lion that's "armed" with its big teeth, while he's unarmed.

Then we'll see who's desirous of weaponry, and whether risk to the innocents (the defender) increases or decreases due to the newly-introduced weaponry. I'd bet the point would get across right quick, then.

Ban "teeth" all you want, but the lion's still gonna come at you with "teeth" (guns, knives, whatever other deadly tools he can get his hands on). And unless the defender arms himself and/or barricades himself, he's still going to be facing a fully-toothed lion with poor chance of surviving the encounter. Growfff.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 16th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't believe they should make it mandatory...but at the very least, optional. They should at least have the option. Why not put together some type of tactical response team made up of teachers within the school? Trained by local law enforcement with guns donated by the community.Trust me, I know more than a few teachers that would sign up for that program and even more people that would donate.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

I have a wife, two daughters and a daughter-in-law who teach or are now school administrators. They all have CHLs, guns and the ability and mind set protect their students and co-workers. I would not want to be the BG my wife was aiming at while protecting her chicks--she is a good pistol shot and cool headed under pressure.
    Yet they can not carry their firearms at work and is some school districts can not even have it in their car in the parking lot for protection driving home, Yes, it is time for change, but not what the media and liberals seem to feel that we need--gun restrictions.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    To resist an armed intruder requires armed defense. The antis will never understand this simple fact.
    ccw9mm and scgunlover1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I like the law but this just gives the schools an option to prohibit firearms thus negating the law.
    In MI, since the schools are run by local units of Government, we are covered by preemption. This does not apply to private schools, but public schools can not "write their own law." They must follow state law. Right now MI state law in regards to carrying firearms on school property is that carrying is forbidden. Unless one has a CPL, then they can open carry but not conceal carry. This of course only applies to regular citizens.

The new law would allow concealed carry by those with an enhanced CPL, but open carry would be totally forbidden.

This is interesting. Guns are not illegal in schools here. I guess they assume no one has a CCW permit. Anyway. One can legally carry here on campus with a CCW permit. If you work for the school you may get fired, but it is not illegal. Kind of interesting in my mind. Teachers are not police, but we are humans and we do care about our kids. I do not need a police officer to protect me, just like I do not need the government t protect me. What I need is more laws like this that allow me to protect myself. Natural selection is real people and if one needs the government to save them, you are screwed.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Right BigJohn.....this is an unfortunate example of when seconds count and LE is minutes away.......they usually come to clean up after....that's why I'm an advocate of having secure public places.....times have changed and not for the better.

Dec 21, 2012: I'm betting nothing is going to prevent a handful of murderous kooks going on rampages on the 21st, this year, what with all the recent news about others who have gotten their 15mins of infamy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I work at Liberty University in Virginia. Our campus started allowing faculty and staff to conceal carry with LU permit. Prerequisite is VA state concealed permit. In my department now there are 4 individuals who have permits and do carry each day. Virginia Tech is 90 miles from here, and their lesson was not lost on us.

Would a nutjob like this guy want to open the classroom door if he knew a teacher might be waiting on the other side with a 357 or 15-stack 9mm? Would he feel free to stroll from class to class if he knew there were armed guards somewhere? If you heard gunfire in the room next to you, how much training would it take to pull a gun and get ready to shoot someone coming thru the door with a gun?

Wish they would pass that nationwide.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

I have often been told that I would be lucky to push my truck 15 feet. However if I got the community together we could push it all over town.
    How do we get this country to "push" this all the way to pass.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links