This is what is being allowed to happen (CONN Shooting)

This is a discussion on This is what is being allowed to happen (CONN Shooting) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 9MMare We called around and went to a few gun shops...no luck. Had fun "kickin' tires" tho. So we bought sound-suppressed pellet ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: This is what is being allowed to happen (CONN Shooting)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    We called around and went to a few gun shops...no luck. Had fun "kickin' tires" tho.

So we bought sound-suppressed pellet rifles to deal with vermin here on the farm and I'm going to learn how to handle a long gun! It's a start and we can have some fun.
    On a more cheerful note: I put the scope on my new sound-suppressed pellet gun and we spent the afternoon sighting in the new scope. Never did that before. Learned to sight in a scope, proper stance for using a long gun, sighting on a target, etc.

Weather was terrible...38 degrees and raining. We stood in the carport and shot from there. We used the trunk of the car as a mount while sighting.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    On a more cheerful note: I put the scope on my new sound-suppressed pellet gun and we spent the afternoon sighting in the new scope. Never did that before. Learned to sight in a scope, proper stance for using a long gun, sighting on a target, etc.

Weather was terrible...38 degrees and raining. We stood in the carport and shot from there. We used the trunk of the car as a mount while sighting.
    Thats a good bonding activity lol

It's too painful for me to even think about the fact that children in CT likely would have been saved had staff been armed.

When will America wake up and realize that there is only one place the blame belongs, on that kid (young adult) who had the audacity to kill all those innocent kids. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. The media will blame guns,music (after columbine Marilyn Manson was blamed) , violent video games, violent movies, or anything else they can pull out of thin air. If this happened 60 years ago and you tried to blame a gun you would be laughed out of town. Everyday I see little snot nose kids blame failures on the parents or teachers or whatever else and it's disgusting. This country needs a wake up call and start placing the blame where it belongs,and start teaching our next generation that they are responsible for themselves, no one else is going to take care of you, it's not the governments job to feed or put a roof over your head.
    CookieEOD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    When will America wake up and realize that there is only one place the blame belongs, on that kid (young adult) who had the audacity to kill all those innocent kids. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. The media will blame guns,music (after columbine Marilyn Manson was blamed) , violent video games, violent movies, or anything else they can pull out of thin air. If this happened 60 years ago and you tried to blame a gun you would be laughed out of town. Everyday I see little snot nose kids blame failures on the parents or teachers or whatever else and it's disgusting. This country needs a wake up call and start placing the blame where it belongs,and start teaching our next generation that they are responsible for themselves, no one else is going to take care of you, it's not the governments job to feed or put a roof over your head.
    Thats some good red blooded American talk right there. It warms the cockles of my heart. The question is how do we undo the damage to our society short of a bloody coup and a 3rd party dictator? Lol
    AngryBadger417 likes this.

Welcome! And, I'm right there with you on that thought. 1 armed gaurd, or a right to carry would have ended that situation quick.

I hope so, I like to think there's a little humanity left in this world. It's up to our generation to realize what's going on and fix it, but the way most of the kids my age act it looks very bleak. What I would give to have grown up 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

May I recommend books by LTC David Grossman or these two books Terror at Beslan, and Innocent Targets - When terrorism comes to school. And yes it is a mindset as well as our current educational system where teacher use Hollywood films with little facts or made up facts to teach science. Or indoctrination the victimization/owe me attitude rather than a our responsibility and "God Given" Right to be self reliant. And the one that torques me is the thought that "We Belong to the Government" that is being propounded by some.

That being said, again welcome to forum by one of the Non-PC members!
    Speaking of LtCol Grossman, here's a recent article with some of his thoughts on the matter of safeguarding schools.
    Active shooters in schools: The enemy is denial
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I hope so, I like to think there's a little humanity left in this world. It's up to our generation to realize what's going on and fix it, but the way most of the kids my age act it looks very bleak. What I would give to have grown up 40 years ago.
    40 years? I think you could find a better year than 1972. Point being there were bad and crazy people then too. We had Bloody Sunday, the murders at the Olympics, George Wallace was shot. I mean pick any year. What you'd realize is that this isnt a new problem and it wont go away. And people like us were as worried then about gun control as we are right now.

I had the same thought about a trained person in the school with a right to carry a concealed weapon. I think our president will find some administrative way to impose restrictions, maybe slowly at first. Maybe by using the EPA to declare lead bullets a threat to the environment. Watch him, he's tricky.
    Ruger LCP
    KelTec P11
    Ruger P89
    Taurus M380

Quote Originally Posted by AdoptedTexan View Post
    I had the same thought about a trained person in the school with a right to carry a concealed weapon. I think our president will find some administrative way to impose restrictions, maybe slowly at first. Maybe by using the EPA to declare lead bullets a threat to the environment. Watch him, he's tricky.
    Wow... that would be unique... or corrosive primers/ emissions produced by smokeless powder discharge.... crapp.... we need to stop giving them ideas...

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Ever watch how the father and the mother behave at soccer games? If you have done that you know why you don't want the parents standing guard duty.

And let's be fair here. In today's world most adults have ZERO familiarity with either guns or how to defend with them because
    most of us live in urban and suburban areas and relatively few receive military style or police style training. Heck, even here
    there are a large proportion of participants who don't get any training beyond what is required (if at all) to obtain their license.

Can you just imagine the complicated liability and compensation issues which might follow various scenarios in which
    ordinary parents volunteered to do armed guard duty?

I have a very vague recollection that when I was in JH the school asked for parents to volunteer to stand at each
    entry/exit between classes. I know my mom did a stint of such service. In today's world that would be putting her life on the
    line. Even then, there were plenty of young people with illegal knives and illegal guns. The problem arose because
    they then let 16 year olds drop out, and they sometimes had a 14 year old g f in the JHS. So they'd try to sneak in and meet
    up in some hidden place while classes were in session.
    I am not sure how living in a rural or suburban area makes you any better at defending against a firearm. In my experience in living in the city most people seem to know how to but I imagine it is the same in rural areas. And I agree most are not police or military.

I can imagine, but it would be less than having every teacher and adult in a school armed and legally responsible for other peoples children. Interestingly as Israel was mentioned earlier and that is where the majority of armed folks come from when in schools, they are the parents of the children there and volunteer for duty. To be fair they do have more military training as they are forced to enlist in the IDF, but nevertheless they do live in a perpetual warzone.

I still don't think arming the janitors and lunch ladies along with the teachers is a better idea than having parents stand guard. As his post implied that the teachers would somehow be better than others and they are legally bound to defend the kids.

Welcome aboard CookieEOD/Josh
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by boutaswell View Post
    Welcome aboard CookieEOD/Josh
    Why thank you kind sir

VIP Member
    Umm 40 years ago was 1972-73. You wouldn't have liked it any better.

See, there never really is a golden age of peace and tranquility, harmony and serenity. It is our wish, but it won't come.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links