This is what is being allowed to happen (CONN Shooting)

This is a discussion on This is what is being allowed to happen (CONN Shooting) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In this most recent instance I'm not sure how much one teacher with a handgun would have done against a subjest with an assault rifle....

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: This is what is being allowed to happen (CONN Shooting)

In this most recent instance I'm not sure how much one teacher with a handgun would have done against a subjest with an assault rifle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

I had someone today say that I am responsible for this because I don't want any new gun bans or control type laws limiting what I can and cannot own.

How is it my fault that someone was purely evil? It's not, it's not your fault either. I don't understand why anyone would try to push blame anywhere but squarely on the shoulders of the murderer. I can't even blame the mother as she was a gun owner herself from what I understand and she was just like us. It's not her fault that her son was evil. Sometimes you think you're doing the right thing with your kids and maybe you are, but there is a point where your responsibility as a parent is lifted and it's up to them to do the right thing and be responsible for themself.

We are all saddened by the tragedy but I find no fault in anyone (except perhaps the media for how they portray things like this), but the kid who acted alone and of his own accord in this shooting. I can't begin to understand why anyone would point the finger and people living over 1500 miles away and claim that they are even partially responsible for this. That is utterly despicable to say and absolutely untrue. I am sure the mother of this kid would say something similar. When something like this happens everyone wants a reason or to point the finger and blame someone, but it's wrong to do that and it saddens me that there are some people who would rather take away our freedom than to come to terms with the fact that this kid was evil and evil will always exist in the world. It has been here since long before our time.

I am not very religions but I can't help but think that some of what is happening lately is a result of our attempt as a society to push God out of our lives. People don't want it in the pledge of allegiance, people want it off the money, people don't like it when you pray for a sick person because it might offend them, people don't like congress taking a moment of prayor or any local government opening their session with a prayor. Things like this let more and more evil in. Even if you don't believe in God the same way, I can't help but feel that sometimes the belief in a higher power does give us a little bit more clarity as to what is the correct path to choose. Sometimes I feel like everything is happening because our nation is losing it's way.
    bigdogtx and CookieEOD like this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

You lost your gun rights Nov 6th 2012 if you didn't see it coming you were sleeping. He told he would take them you chose not to listen so live with it.
    Remember all the threads that got shut down as soon as someone brought up Obama taking guns. Well we were right.
    CookieEOD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You lost your gun rights Nov 6th 2012 if you didn't see it coming you were sleeping. He told he would take them you chose not to listen so live with it.
    Remember all the threads that got shut down as soon as someone brought up Obama taking guns. Well we were right.
    This is going to go off topic but there are many people who are single issue voters and that is the problem.
    Hopyard likes this.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

My agreement with "cmdrdredd"... especially the part about a higher power. The populace has pushed God/Jesus/Holy Spirit out of the America that once was. When 'good' is removed, then 'Evil' moves in. Hence, the Newtown shootings; the Denver theater shootings; the Oregon mall shootings; the stopped Oklahoma high school planned shooting; remember Columbine?; and now, in our capitol city of Topeka just two nights later (two officers shot dead on a suspicious car call).
    Maybe... just maybe... had those perpetrators had God solidly in their lives, many lives would have been saved. Am I religious?? You bet your sweet bippy I am.
    Christian through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    When will America wake up and realize that there is only one place the blame belongs, on that kid (young adult) who had the audacity to kill all those innocent kids. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. The media will blame guns,music (after columbine Marilyn Manson was blamed) , violent video games, violent movies, or anything else they can pull out of thin air. If this happened 60 years ago and you tried to blame a gun you would be laughed out of town. Everyday I see little snot nose kids blame failures on the parents or teachers or whatever else and it's disgusting. This country needs a wake up call and start placing the blame where it belongs,and start teaching our next generation that they are responsible for themselves, no one else is going to take care of you, it's not the governments job to feed or put a roof over your head.
    I have to agree with "AngryBadger417" and also "CookieEOD"'s question as to how do we undo society's damage. My applicable senators/congressman seem to all believe as I do in that we need to return to more conservative values. However, no one want to "do" anything. Where did our great system of "Checks and Balances" go??? One other thread asks, "Why do we carry?"... do we need any more instances?

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    In this most recent instance I'm not sure how much one teacher with a handgun would have done against a subjest with an assault rifle.
    I think that is better than just standing there and waiting to be a victim. At least a shot in the BG's direction might have deflected some of his shots...or, <gasp>, eliminated the threat...

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I think that is better than just standing there and waiting to be a victim. At least a shot in the BG's direction might have deflected some of his shots...or, <gasp>, eliminated the threat...
    Or if someone had come up behind him while he was distracted...it's over.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. Back when I was in school, the coaches and most of the male teachers were WWII vets and knew how to handle firearms. Also, back then, I'd venture to say most males learned to shoot and hunt as kids. A few "trained" teachers, both male and female, with concealed carry permits and weapons at their disposal would prevent the type of crap that happened at Virginia Tech and in Connecticut. The nutcase BGs always pick "gun free zones" to carry out their ploy for publicity! Maybe not all, but a lot of lives would be saved if there had been a few armed people in Virginia, Connecticut, in the Theater, at the Mall, etc. instead of them all being "gun free zones". Yah, right, "gun free" for the innocents!!!! But not the BGs.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

The evil person had a handgun not an assault rifle so it would have been evil person with handgun vs. trained good guy with handgun.

Edit: I did a little more research. The medical examiner said a long weapon was used.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ever...school-deaths/
    Last edited by 1MoreGoodGuy; December 18th, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Can you think of anything greater than giving your life to save a bunch of little kids? Especially if one was yours? I'd do it in a second. Of course, pride and honor are rare these days. So, no, I cannot expect that out of anyone. I should be able to, but hey, anymore it's all about ME!

In today's America, of course you should not expect that kind of courage, anymore than a faculty member should be expected to carry a gun and be ready to defend kids. Both should be a given, but they aren't.
    No they aren't. As you can read and see... those values have long since been discarded. Nobody's responsible for anything at all anymore! On a personal note, some two years or so ago, my new wife (of six years at the time)(I'm 67 and she's a 'young' 70) and I were having the discussion about what I would do should a life and death situation arise. I simply stated that I would defend her to the death. Not that I'm "Mr. Macho", nor am I even close to being the bravest guy in the world either; it's just that I believe it is the 'right' thing to do as to the way I've been raised. And yes, she was pleasantly surprised by that answer. I was a little surprised that she was surprised. So... that's my spin on this idiotic situation.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    The evil person had a handgun not an assault rifle so it would have been evil person with handgun vs. trained good guy with handgun.
    Do you have a link for this information? Everywhere I search or read it comes up as him having a Bushmaster AR of some type. Generally they call it a "Military Style Assault Rifle" In order to sell newspapers.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I haven't listened to all the "latest" comments since I got fed up with listening to all the gory details. However, one item I thought I discerned from the whole thing
    here lately, was that the BG 'did' have the .223 "Bushmaster" with him and did use that to do the killing. Pardon me if I'm wrong but that's how I took it especially since they (the state police lieutenant) mentioned the 'shock' damage to the victims.

This is what is being allowed to happen (CONN Shooting)

Seeing the school shootings is always tough and it was especially tough for me when the shootings at Virginia Tech happened. I graduated from there in 96 and it will always be a place that has great memories for me. I can't imagine how the people in Newtown feel. Back when I was at VT I was in the environmental science department and we had a lot of agricultural classes as required. I remember many of the other guys and gals, myself included, always carried a pocket knife or a hunting knife on the belt. It wasn't unusual for many of us to have shotguns or hunting rifles in our trucks and cars. I'm sure such things wouldn't be allowed now and we would be kicked out of school for sure. That's not that many years ago either. When I'm back on campus for football games it always brings back memories of the great times there, but the atmosphere isn't the same. I'm not sure I could go there again as a student without being able to defend myself with the dangers out there today. Allowing cc on campus would surely help, but we know it would never happen. My friends that are teachers are hunters and responsible gun owners and having guns in their hands definitely would help in a shooter situation. Sadly it seems everyone wants to protect us by disarming us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

at the distances in this tragedy, a handgun could have as much impact as a rifle. I feel, any teacher who passes background, should be able to carry any where
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links