state trooper harassing?

This is a discussion on state trooper harassing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine told me he got pulled over & when he gave his drivers license he also showed his cc license. The trooper ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: state trooper harassing?

state trooper harassing?

A friend of mine told me he got pulled over & when he gave his drivers license he also showed his cc license. The trooper then asked my friend where his gun was & he said it was in glove box. The trooper told him that was illegal, that it had to be on his body, that it couldn't be under the seat, in console, or in glove box. He didn't give my friendfriend a ticket. I called the guy that gave me & my friend the ccw class to ask him about that & he said the trooper didn't know what he was talking about. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

I've been pulled over twice (for petty traffic crap) since I got my ccw, once by state, once by city, & neither officer cared to even look at my license or ask about my gun.

2. Remove Ads

Check on Handgunlaw.us. You should be able to get some good information there. If Gary doesn't have the information on his site, he probably has a link to a site with the necessary information.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Here's your best resource: Handgunlaw.us

Other than that, we have a bunch of Arkansas members that will respond.

Perhaps your friendfriend misunderstood what he was saying?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ofgods View Post
    A friend of mine told me he got pulled over & when he gave his drivers license he also showed his cc license. The trooper then asked my friend where his gun was & he said it was in glove box. The trooper told him that was illegal, that it had to be on his body, that it couldn't be under the seat, in console, or in glove box. He didn't give my friendfriend a ticket. I called the guy that gave me & my friend the ccw class to ask him about that & he said the trooper didn't know what he was talking about. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

I've been pulled over twice (for petty traffic crap) since I got my ccw, once by state, once by city, & neither officer cared to even look at my license or ask about my gun.
    The LEO may have been mistaken in his knowledge, but I fail to see any harassment. Look at it this way, if your friend hadn't been breaking traffic laws, he wouldn't have been stopped in the first place.
    rottkeeper, 9MMare and NY27 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Just judging from what I read on the above link for, Arkansas, the Officer might have been unclear on Conceiled Carry in Arkansas which is very similar to that of KY. As far as harrasment, I really don't see it. The officer might have been a bit intimidated [or annoyed] that your friend had a conceilment license and your friend might have sensed this and devoloped a sensistivity issue. It can happen with out warning. I have been there.

Respectifully,
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Know the gun laws in your State or where you will be traveling to,print them off if necessary,that way when an LEO spouts out his opininon you can say well that's your opinion but this is the law as you show him the relevant statute.
    daddysgirl likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Automobile carry:
    Concealed carry in the vehicle is ok with a permit. Without a permit, handguns must be unloaded and cased; glove compartment carry of a handgun is illegal; rifles and shotguns may be carried in plain view or secured in commercial cases.

Arkansas Concealed Carry Permit Information and Reciprocity
    Last edited by wishyouwell; December 15th, 2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added source

To the OP's friend, you have a CCW it belongs on you not in a glove box. Leaving it in the glove box does you and your family a disservice. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by ultra45 View Post
    To the OP's friend, you have a CCW it belongs on you not in a glove box. Leaving it in the glove box does you and your family a disservice. Just my 2 cents.
    While its vulnerable to being stolen anytime left in a vehicle, even in some of those cabled things....there are times when someone CCing has to leave their gun in the car to go in somewhere where guns are prohibited.

As an ex-park ranger who dealt with too many car break-ins to count, *if you must* leave anything of value in your car, NEVER hide it at your destination, hide it/put it away before you get there. Thieves just sit and watch for stuff like that.

I can see many times when someone might need to do so. I wonder if the trooper would have considered it an infraction (incorrect it seems) if the gun had been loaded and locked in a car safe?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I don't see it as "harassing" either. Probably just wasn't familiar with the statutes. They do have to know a bunch, and they aren't experts on it all. He probably realized he might be wrong too, since there wasn't an arrest.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

In Arkansas the State Police are the CHL issuing office. They ought to at least know their own rules.
    I've gotten more BS from a State Trooper than from any of my local LEOs. They seem to believe that their word is law, or if they don't believe it themselves, they try to convince you that it is.
    Still, I don't see harassment, just bull pooey.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Thanks for all the replys. I know the gun laws in Ar. & so does my friend. Like TALA said the troopers in Ar. Are "know it alls". I don't necessarily believe it was harassment either, just didn't know what he was talking about. The reason he had it in glove box was its just not comfortable to carry on him & he hasn't gotten around to getting a smaller one yet.

Senior Moderator
    The State Trooper didnt know what he was talking about.

Trust me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I keep a copy of Georgia carry laws in my truck....just in case I need it for reference.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links