SR40 for CCW, what do you think?

This is a discussion on SR40 for CCW, what do you think? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about purchasing a Ruger SR40 for CCW carry. I currrently carry a Glock 22, or SR9 (I prefer full size). Would like to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TX expat

Thread: SR40 for CCW, what do you think?

Cool SR40 for CCW, what do you think?

I'm thinking about purchasing a Ruger SR40 for CCW carry. I currrently carry a Glock 22, or SR9 (I prefer full size). Would like to hear pro's and con's on the SR40. What do you think?
    “Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!” - Harry Callahan

VIP Member
    What do you think the SR40 is going to give you that the G22 doesn't already cover?
    sioux565 likes this.

I have a sr40c it is my EDC and I really like it..

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    What do you think the SR40 is going to give you that the G22 doesn't already cover?
    Technically nothing. I have an oppurtunity to expand my inventory and have no experience with the SR40.
    “Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!” - Harry Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by tb8215 View Post
    Technically nothing. I have an oppurtunity to expand my inventory and have no experience with the SR40.
    Why not get something a little smaller for carrying like the SR40c or G27?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb8215 View Post
    Fair enough. Personally I wouldn't carry anything with an external safety, but that's just me. I have an SR9c for my wife to shoot and I do enjoy shooting it. Ruger makes a fine pistol in that respect.

I carry a beretta nano.Just picked up a SR40c for winter carry.I think its perfect size in some situations.I will also carry a P226 at times.I carry the biggest without printing.Just me.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Fair enough. Personally I wouldn't carry anything with an external safety, but that's just me. I have an SR9c for my wife to shoot and I do enjoy shooting it. Ruger makes a fine pistol in that respect.
    I am curious why you won't you carry anything with a external safety. If it was me I would leave it off. But it would be nice to have in some situations.

I just shot a guy's SR40 on Saturday. I was impressed with it. Nice gun. Still prefer my Glock 23 but if I could get a good deal on the Ruger I wouldn't hesitate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobster View Post
    I am curious why you won't you carry anything with a external safety. If it was me I would leave it off. But it would be nice to have in some situations.
    I don't like the idea of something that I have to manipulate to make the gun fire (other than the trigger, of course). After reading a number of books, and speaking with a number of trainers, I came to realize the wisdom of keeping it as absolutely simple and consistant as possible. Heck I switched over to a Glock after doing some work with a trainer and realizing that it was possible, however unlikely, to goon the grip enough so the grip safety on my XD wouldn't engage. Even though it was about as long a shot as possible, I decided to make a change because of it.

People can train past just about anything, so I'm not saying that an external safety makes something a "bad" choice; it's just a bad choice for me. I don't want to have to train for anything beyond pulling the trigger. Plenty of guys have carried all sorts of pistols that I wouldn't be at all interested in, and they've done it successfully, so it's completely a personal preference.

As far as the SR40 goes, I have no personal experience with them, but if the trigger is anywhere near as light as the SR9c that I bought for my wife, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable carrying it without the safety on. It's pretty light.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Cons- It's not a Glock

Pros- A good shooter at a good price.

I had looked at a SR40c this evening, I had pulled the trigger, it did seem light, but that is what I liked about it. I did like the safety on it. When carrying I think I would probable leave it off, that would be once less thing to worry about, If I ever had to draw my weapon, hoping that I never do. Since it does have a safety I do like where the safety is at. so it will not get touched by the thumb. I have a sig that does not have a safety, When at home handling them getting ready for the range and not being on my person. Is when I do like safeties. other than that I do not use them. Thank you for your response I have a better understanding. Personally I really could go either way with them.

i think the SR's are nice guns. good ergonomics. good sights, great price and great customer service. i stay away from external safeties and mag disconnects etc for my carry guns though so I don't own one. but if those features are what you're looking for, I think the SR's are a great choice.

Links