I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet - Page 2

I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

This is a discussion on I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a friend that had a similar issue. For him, it was not until he moved the gun to a different position he felt ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

I had a friend that had a similar issue. For him, it was not until he moved the gun to a different position he felt ok. In his case he went to ankle carry. The logic was it almost never point at a vital spot. After about 9 months he added a outside waist carry duty size gun. He still uses the ankle carry, he is so comfortable he just added rather than move the original gun that is now his backup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    +1!

You can also try just walking around with a round chambered while at your local range. Try and get comfortable doing this for short periods of time until you build your confidence.

Just don't get complacent.
    Interesting that I do carry hot at the range w/o any problem. Not many people around where I train.
    I know my fear in unfounded. In the back of my mind I visualize when sitting in the car, walking in stores etc..the darn thing just going off, either shooting off my foot or hitting someone nearby.

I could carry a BB gun pistol locked and loaded and would not have this fear.
    Is that weird or what?

I appreciate the encouragement. I WILL work on it.
    TX expat and fail_187 like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Something about the grip safety on the XD's makes me feel much more comfortable. But, as a previous poster noted... I don't feel carrying non-chambered is an option.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Interesting that I do carry hot at the range w/o any problem. Not many people around where I train.
    I know my fear in unfounded. In the back of my mind I visualize when sitting in the car, walking in stores etc..the darn thing just going off, either shooting off my foot or hitting someone nearby.

I could carry a BB gun pistol locked and loaded and would not have this fear.
    Is that weird or what?

I appreciate the encouragement. I WILL work on it.
    Seriously, it's just a mental hurdle. The more you make of it, the more difficult it will be to clear. Once you do though, you'll never look back.

I'll tell you something sort of funny. My first concealed carry gun was SA .45 Commander and I carried it in a Thunder Belt. You want to talk about tense for a guy just starting out!

Maybe that's a good way to get over your fears of carrying a Glock chambered; carry a cocked and locked .45 aimed straight at man parts. You'll be almost instantly comfortable carrying that Glock, I promise!

You don't owe anybody an explanation at all --your life, your gun, your choices. Plenty of soldiers in plenty of situations have been REQUIRED to carry weapons with empty chambers, which was not a policy I agreed with in many cases, but in others it makes sense.

Somebody confirm or correct my impression, please. . .doesn't "carrying Israeli" mean chamber empty, and doesn't it refer to their military carrying that way?

I understand and anticipate the objection that concealed carry people should be better trained than your average soldier, US or Israeli, but that's an assumption I don't accept. Some military people are as well-trained as can be, and some are trained in only rudimentary fashion. IMO, a concealed carry holder is a free American exercising his or her right to self-defense and defense of society to the best of their ability. It doesn't mean that everyone with a carry permit must be an Ed McGivern, Jeff Cooper, or Jerry Miculek. Everyone who carries has a duty, IMO, to be aware of their limitations & take that into account, and one can do that responsibly and effectively without being an expert shot.

Unless you're a LEO, perhaps, I don't imagine that you have a duty to be able to engage in "x" number of seconds, and nobody here has the right to try to impose such requirements on you, although of course they're entitled to their opinion and their own individual choices. Just because you feel that the appropriate balance of readiness and safety, given your unique situation, is to carry chamber-empty, DOES NOT MEAN that you're afraid of guns or afraid to use one once you decide to do so. Only you know that, and you owe other people neither explanation nor apology. Ditto for caliber choice, action, brand, ammo selection, holster, etc. etc.

Personally, I'm pretty old school and like my autos to have an external safety, and appreciate DA revolvers for their appropriate (IMO) compromise of safety and readiness. Anyone who thinks that makes me afraid of guns is barking up the wrong tree, and I think we all owe you the same respect and courtesy. It sounds like you've seen machines malfunction occasionally and people make some mistakes under stress. That experience underlies your decision, I imagine.

Best of luck to you. It sounds like you're on the track to carrying chambered if you feel at ease at the range and it's actually what you want to do. My only advice to you would be to carry chambered if that's what you desire and just don't play with it when you don't want it to go off. Once you have it carefully loaded and properly placed in the holster, no touchy! It will be just fine until either you take it off at home or until you need it. Complacency can lead to not always paying attention to what you are doing while you're handling or holstering. Never be too complacent and never lose that respect that you have for what it can do to you or others. But it is designed to be carried chambered.

I carry a cocked and locked .45 and I must admit that at first it was a bit uneasy about it. They have that unique visual about them that has ND written all over them. Through listening to others who were a lot more knowledgeable on the platform, (some from this site) and doing some of my own research, I've learned to trust the design and keep to the standard safety practices. So carrying it almost every day now for the past couple of years at 3:30-4:00 IWB, I am happy to report that I still have both butt cheeks in tact.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Is my 'chambered' Glock dangerous?
    Why yes, it is VERY dangerous...I wouldn't carry it if it wasn't.

You need to get yourself into several SD courses (2-4 days), and learn to trust your weapon.
    It's all about your trigger finger and muscle memory.
    I hope you have trained yourself well in racking a shell into the chamber without thinking about it...good luck in a treacherous scenario.

You CAN overcome your worries...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It'd probably be better to carry chambered but I feel the same way as you. It's a little uneasy.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

I don't necessarily think this is a "lack of training" or "fear of guns" in your case. For some people, yes, this may be the case. I do, however, think there's a psychological component to your hesitation to carry with a chambered round. I can completely understand your issue, I felt the same hesitation at first. There definitely is a different feeling knowing you're walking around with a "hot" gun. With both my Sig P238 (cocked and locked) and XD9 (striker-fired like the Glock), I "knew" they wouldn't and couldn't "just go off," and trained and practiced endlessly to know my firearms inside and out. However, all the range time in the world didn't help me get over my irrational fear of carrying with a chambered round.

I found by carrying them fully and safely unloaded from wake to sleep, for several weeks, I found that nothing I did (walking, sitting, standing, running, exercising, etc.) made either pistol "go off." The safety on the Sig never "flicked off" and the hammer never dropped, and the XD9's striker stayed in its "cocked" position (it's got a striker indicator on the back, don't know if the Glock has similar). I recommend, as others have, small steps. I consider it an additional kind of training necessary for some. I think, especially for those of us who carry striker-fired pistols, that the "Glock Leg Syndrome" we hear about is certainly a psychological hurdle we need to overcome. We all here are dedicated to absolute safe carry and use of our firearms. Knowing we choose to carry pistols with an unfair reputation as "accidents waiting to happen" can make for a kind of emotional conflict within us, ya know?

Of course we are safe; we train, we practice, we follow safe firearms handling. Yet we hear and read about all the Glocks and such "going off" and it makes us pause sometimes. I guess the short version of my long-winded post is, you're human; you take safety seriously, but everyone seems to know a guy that knows a guy whose gun just went off in his holster. Relax, take baby steps. It sounds like you've trained well for the condition in which you carry, which is good. Eventually, perhaps, you'll feel comfortable carrying chambered.

I agree with what some of the others have already said--take an advanced handgun/self defense shooting course! It will be well worth the money and I'm sure you will get over your reluctance to carry with "one in the pipe" by the time you have completed the course and fired a couple hundred rounds in different situation drawing from a holster and reloading while moving, etc.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Just don't switch to carrying one in the chamber based on pressure from this forum. I believe a certain amount of fear of your firearm is healthy and keeps you from getting complacent and forgetting to handle your firearm safely at all times.

Everyone starts out being new to carrying and nothing builds experience better than time. Go at your own pace and get their safely.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAlum97 View Post
    Just don't switch to carrying one in the chamber based on pressure from this forum. I believe a certain amount of fear of your firearm is healthy and keeps you from getting complacent and forgetting to handle your firearm safely at all times.

Everyone starts out being new to carrying and nothing builds experience better than time. Go at your own pace and get their safely.
    +1 to this. I think everyone has given good insight and advice concerning OP's concern. There are plenty of other forums that would rip this guy to shreds for admitting his discomfort. That's why I enjoy this forum. There is a supportive atmosphere here that allows people to feel comfortable posting their honest concerns, and admitting fears. I hope the OP doesn't take my advice as pressure. I may be passionate in sharing my similar experience, but I only do it to give advice in a supportive way. Heck, of course carry as you want and how your comfort level dictates. As long as you carry safely, no harm, no foul.

To the OP - you are not alone. I have trained with the best (ex-military and Gunsite grad from many years ago) I carry and face volatile situations every day in my job, and I still don't like carrying striker fired guns with a round in the chamber.

.45's I have no problem with, as I use a thumb strap under the hammer. You might consider switching to a hammer fired gun like the 1911, one of the Sigs, a Beretta or HK, etc. If I am going into a situation where I may need a gun rapidly, I carry a hammer fired gun in Cond 1.

Otherwise I try to avoid situations where I'm going to be a target. It's much easier than having to shoot somebody who was stupid enough to attack me. If I'm carrying my striker fired guns and I feel like I am going to enter a situation where I might need a gun fast, let's say walking through a lonely, dark parking garage in the ghetto, at midnight, alone - in that case I'd rack a round... in all three of my guns... and with one in my hand and my hand inside my handbag, I'd proceed carefully, and if someone screws with me I will shoot then right through my $100 purse.

Ave a nice day. :) :)

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    If I'm carrying my striker fired guns and I feel like I am going to enter a situation where I might need a gun fast, let's say walking through a lonely, dark parking garage in the ghetto, at midnight, alone - in that case I'd rack a round...
    Appreciated and pretty much where I'm at now. I'm a firm believer in situational awareness. As a long time martial artist I feel I have some advantage in SA.
    I have racked a live one a few times out in the world when I felt a "possible" threat level was higher than normal.

Odd thing though, even though my hands and feet can be deadly, I have little difficulty carrying them live. LOL

Thanks to all.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

GH
    After a short while you'll feel comfortable carrying hot. Almost everyone in Wisconsin is a relatively new carrier as we've only have a CC law in effect for a little over a year. There isn't a single person I know who doesn't carry with a chambered round. this wasn't true at the beginning. I think I carried unchambered for a full day, the first day I carried. That is until I thought it over.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links