I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet - Page 3

I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

This is a discussion on I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RightsEroding Agreed. I agree insomauch as I train racking with left and right hand by using the rear sights up against my ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Agreed. I agree insomauch as I train racking with left and right hand by using the rear sights up against my belt.
    Not as good as carrying hot I know.
    Please tell us you don't do this with live ammo. This is one of the easiest ways to have an accidental discharge. If you are in a high stress situation and you do this, you just may shoot yourself. I'll assume you're figuring this is a last ditch scenario. And if you are using dummy rounds you get 2 thumbs up!

Every one must make their own decision on what and how they carry. If you are comfortable with it, it's not anyone's place to make you do it differently. I don't personally agree with it, but it's your choice. Lots of people buy Glocks. I own a couple and I carry them both. With a round in the chamber. However, they may not be for you. You may need something that you feel is safer. Possibly a gun with either a heavier trigger pull, or a gun with a safety, or a revolver. Of course the revolver has a round in the chamber under the hammer. You gotta figure what's right for you.

The most important thing is, don't let others pressure you into doing something you are not comfortable with.
    Question Everything!

I have been carrying for 6 months now. Went from carrying condition 1 to 2 to 3 and back to 2. My P89 has a nice easy thumb safety that I have practiced flipping off on draw so much that when I went to 3 I couldn't get used to not flipping it off so I went back to 2. Do what works for you and go through the progression to your comfort level. Working out of your comfort zone can get you killed in shtf.
    LouisianaMan likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I respect your right to carry chambered or otherwise. What concerns me is that someday you may bring an unchambered gun to a chambered gunfight.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I carry a USP or a Glock 19. Hard for me to admit I'm much closer to 40 than 30 and getting up there, but I've been packing a handgun, both on deployments and off duty, for a long time now. I have to admit I'm much more careful and deliberate when holstering the Glock. The USP has a hammer and it comforts me to know that will move if the trigger is depressed, when sliding it into an IWB holster. So, maybe one more vote in favor of a different handgun. I also typically put on and remove the holster and weapon as a single unit.

The thing is, you must be able to holster with a round chambered. Your gear and the method of carry must support this. There's no point debating the merits of carrying with an empty chamber. As "Joe Citizen" we don't have the luxury of pulling a gun out until we don't have much of a choice. Israeli soldiers, like a lot of soldiers, don't rack a round in that bad boy because they have a rifle, and will likely never use a pistol in combat. Drawing a handgun from concealment and racking the slide, in public, at the first sign of possible trouble, is a risky practice that can get you arrested or shot by the police. Do you then drop the magazine and safe it in public when the threat has been avoided?

I agree with most that you should get comfortable carrying a hot weapon before forcing it on yourself. Where I may differ is I feel it's unsafe (as a gun-toting citizen here in the US) to carry with an empty chamber. The whole idea of the handgun is that it's small, portable, concealable, and it's there, when you need it and the rifle or shotgun were not any option. If you need it, you're gonna need it pretty quick!

I would guess that you have a lack of trust or understanding of the platform you are carrying. I would suggest getting a better understanding of the firearm you are carrying or change firearms. Have you ever considered a revolve with an exposed hammer. You would be able to place your thumb on the hammer and feel if the hammer mover while holstering the firearm.
    There are certian times when I do not like carrying a Glock. Like when when I might be drawing, shooting and reholstering often, while distracted such as cutting hay and shooting rats. If I know I will be going some place where I have remove the gun from the holster while in the car and reholster when I get back in the car I prefer something other than a Glock. For those time I like my my S&W Mod 60 or a 1911.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

I've analyzed this for some time but can not come to any understanding.

I have not carried that long. Some of you may remember my post concerning my appeal and victory.
    I've carried now about 30 days...UN-Chambered.

I am not afraid to admit I am uncomfortable carrying "hot."

My carry weapon is the Glock 27 Gen 4; a striker plate weapon with no external safety.

I FULLY realize and can logically understand this weapon will not "go off" on it's own. I've even been told by a SWAT friend of mine I could throw
    this gun against a wall with one in the chamber and the odds of it discharging are astronomical.

I also completely agree one in the chamber makes far more sense from a self defense stand point.
    I've practiced drawing, racking and trigger pull. I've had people time me. It takes me .8 to 1.1 secs to do this.
    At the range when chambered, the time is greatly reduced. I get it.

Why am I uncomfortable carrying "hot?"
    I'm sure you'll get over it with time, training, and practice. Un-chambered is better than no chamber but chambered is a much better option in my opinion. Use a decent holster that completely covers the trigger and you'll be fine. I certainly understand your hesitation though. carry however you're comfortable. I won't buy a carry weapon with an external safety and I'm plus 1 all the time.

Re: I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

To the OP, you just purchased a very expensive brick. To me, an un chambered gun is just as good as a brick.

I can't remember if it was on this forum or another, but someone made a comment about carrying un chambered that stuck with me. "Carrying a gun un chambered and thinking you can rack the slide quick enough is like driving a car without your seat belt on thinking you can buckle it before you get into an accident."

I don't want to come across as an ass, but the same people that carry un chambered seem to be the same that only would shoot to cause an injury, not death.

CJM
    Years of experience with firearms means nothing if you're not comfortable with them, or if you haven't learned to use them properly.

OP, get some real training, from a real instructor who has actually been in gunfights and won. Avoid the many Charlatans out there today with little to no real world experience who have developed a better snake oil to sell to the masses.

I am not afraid to admit I am uncomfortable carrying "hot."
    It certainly is a learning curve and mental thing, a 1911 with the hammer back still gives me pause. That said, perhaps you should consider a DA/SA with a decocker. Something like a Sig P239 DA/SA. You get the mental reassurance of seeing that the hammer is down. Decocked, it's very much like a revolver, an initial heavy trigger for stressful conditions but still has the simplicity of just pulling the trigger.

We like to imagine that, like on television, we will have the convenience and coolness of racking the slide. The reality is that there is a high likelihood my, or your, other hand will be full of squirming grandchild or similar.

Even if you have both hands free and plenty of time, drawing and racking is a very provocative act. Those three large males heading toward you at night may or may not have been a real threat, but if you draw and rack, you have created a situation that as a minimum will likely be very very expensive.

Last but not least, all the posts I've seen from people saying that they practice racking one handed on their belts or whatever; now that scares me!
    9MMare likes this.

There's nothing wrong with being uncomfortable. A loaded gun should always make you cautious. There are two moments where you are most likely to have a ND. Drawing and re-holstering. You should practice drawing (unloaded) hundreds, if not thousands, of times until you learn proper trigger discipline. Your finger should never be on the trigger as you draw. Keep doing it until it becomes instinctual. As for re-holstering, there is no prize for doing it quickly. Take your time and do it deliberately and carefully.

At the end of the day, it's your choice in how you carry.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I've been shooting for ~40 years. Never afraid of my Marlin Model 60 or my S&W revolver. Recently bought a Springfield XD, partly because of both the trigger safety and grip safety. All of sudden I was "afraid" of carrying chambered. I've put in a snap cap and banged it against my hand from different angles, holstered and unholstered, "played" with pulling the trigger to get comfortable with how much slack there was before it starts to release the striker, how much pressure it takes to pull the trigger past that point, taken it apart to understand how all of the safeties work (including the firing pin block), carried it around the house for hours to see if the strike pin ever released. I have absolutely no reason to believe it will just "go off" by itself.

That said, I'm still somewhat uncomfortable carrying it appendix, since it's usually pointing right at my femoral artery.

One thing it does make me do more so than my revolver, is to be even more careful when handling it.

I'm slowly getting more comfortable with it.
    LouisianaMan and MamaMaria like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    This guy was uncomfortable carrying with one up the pipe but he doesn't have to worry about it now.

LiveLeak.com - CCTV Records Jewellery Store Murder

Its traumatic so don't watch if you have a weak stomach.
    I think I know which video that is. It's horrible.

Altho I've always carried with one in the chamber, that is one that drove home 'what a gun fight is really like.'

I'm not watching it again, I saw it several times originally. It is very educational IMO. Esp for those that think they are going to draw against a mugger that already has a weapon out with the old 'wallet drop trick.'
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    It certainly is a learning curve and mental thing, a 1911 with the hammer back still gives me pause. That said, perhaps you should consider a DA/SA with a decocker. Something like a Sig P239 DA/SA. You get the mental reassurance of seeing that the hammer is down. Decocked, it's very much like a revolver, an initial heavy trigger for stressful conditions but still has the simplicity of just pulling the trigger.

We like to imagine that, like on television, we will have the convenience and coolness of racking the slide. The reality is that there is a high likelihood my, or your, other hand will be full of squirming grandchild or similar.

Even if you have both hands free and plenty of time, drawing and racking is a very provocative act. Those three large males heading toward you at night may or may not have been a real threat, but if you draw and rack, you have created a situation that as a minimum will likely be very very expensive.

Last but not least, all the posts I've seen from people saying that they practice racking one handed on their belts or whatever; now that scares me!
    Understanding the weapon system and what makes it go bang is the knowledge that you have to have in order to carry any firearm. My cocked and locked Kimber 1911 that I carry everyday gives me no more concern that any other chambered handgun because I know that as long as I have it on safe and and the release at the dovetail isn't squeezed it will not fire. Exercising proper safety when handling does not mean treating it like a ticking bomb. Learn your weapon system and how it works and what will prevent it from working.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Do what you feel comfortable with - don't let anyone bully you into carrying "hot" if it doesn't work for you. The Israeli Army doesn't carry anything chambered and as they will tell you they are always 2 minutes from war or seconds from a terrorist attack. They train extensively - unchambered and train to put there weapon in a chambered - ready to fire condition extremely quickly.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by mook012 View Post
    Do what you feel comfortable with - don't let anyone bully you into carrying "hot" if it doesn't work for you. The Israeli Army doesn't carry anything chambered and as they will tell you they are always 2 minutes from war or seconds from a terrorist attack. They train extensively - unchambered and train to put there weapon in a chambered - ready to fire condition extremely quickly.
    I believe that is old information and no longer true.

For very good reasons.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links