I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet - Page 4

I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

This is a discussion on I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why carry at all then....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

New Member Array Itsanaddiction's Avatar
    Why carry at all then.

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    I have not carried that long.

I am not afraid to admit I am uncomfortable carrying "hot."
    That's fine.

I started out with handguns the same way. In my case, it was with a Browning BDM with ambi manual safety. It helped me get comfortable with daily carrying, with draw/reholster drills, and with all-around acceptance that the gun wasn't going to "bite" for minor, casual missteps. For me, it was the right path to take. I spent 2yrs studying the statutes, gaining experience and competency shooting and carrying holstered (legally on my own property only), at which point I felt very comfortable when the worries were behind me by the time I applied for CHL.

Of course, a gun absolutely can do that, if one's technique isn't fairly perfect and the gun allows for minor missteps to bite you. Ultra-light triggers combine with lack of manual safety mechanisms to, IMO, make for a less-safe gun. All makers take some pains to avoid the obvious risk points, and IIRC all modern handguns are legally required to come with key safety features to help avoid such problems.

Still, you're not ready until you're ready. That'll come with experience with that specific weapon, comfort and skill with drawing safely and effectively, competent reholstering while observing all the gun handling safety guidelines. Don't rush it. The comfort level will come, in time.

I'd recommend getting some hands-on, focused instruction by a competent "pistols" instructor, someone who can help you rapidly acquire the basic skills and competency that'll rapidly win over your confidence level.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    I don't want to come across as an ass, but the same people that carry un chambered seem to be the same that only would shoot to cause an injury, not death.
    You must have me confused with someone else.
    In a me or them scenario, my current training is geared to placing a minimum of (3) rnds center mass.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post

Last but not least, all the posts I've seen from people saying that they practice racking one handed on their belts or whatever; now that scares me!
    When I practice this, it (IS) with dummy rounds of course. I don't do it often, but it was taught to me by a good friend who heads our SWAT team here in my city.
    Just knowing how to do it successfully seems advantage for the "what if" scenario.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by mook012 View Post
    Do what you feel comfortable with - don't let anyone bully you into carrying "hot" if it doesn't work for you. The Israeli Army doesn't carry anything chambered and as they will tell you they are always 2 minutes from war or seconds from a terrorist attack. They train extensively - unchambered and train to put there weapon in a chambered - ready to fire condition extremely quickly.
    Totally, totally different scenario from personal protection. Totally. Losing in a confrontation doesn't give you a second chance. You need every tactical advantage you can have. Keeping one up the pipe and being ready to send it downrange at a moment's notice gives you a better chance of walking away from an unplanned confrontation.
    chadr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    I don't necessarily think this is a "lack of training" or "fear of guns" in your case. For some people, yes, this may be the case. I do, however, think there's a psychological component to your hesitation to carry with a chambered round. I can completely understand your issue, I felt the same hesitation at first. There definitely is a different feeling knowing you're walking around with a "hot" gun. With both my Sig P238 (cocked and locked) and XD9 (striker-fired like the Glock), I "knew" they wouldn't and couldn't "just go off," and trained and practiced endlessly to know my firearms inside and out. However, all the range time in the world didn't help me get over my irrational fear of carrying with a chambered round.

I found by carrying them fully and safely unloaded from wake to sleep, for several weeks, I found that nothing I did (walking, sitting, standing, running, exercising, etc.) made either pistol "go off." The safety on the Sig never "flicked off" and the hammer never dropped, and the XD9's striker stayed in its "cocked" position (it's got a striker indicator on the back, don't know if the Glock has similar). I recommend, as others have, small steps. I consider it an additional kind of training necessary for some. I think, especially for those of us who carry striker-fired pistols, that the "Glock Leg Syndrome" we hear about is certainly a psychological hurdle we need to overcome. We all here are dedicated to absolute safe carry and use of our firearms. Knowing we choose to carry pistols with an unfair reputation as "accidents waiting to happen" can make for a kind of emotional conflict within us, ya know?

Of course we are safe; we train, we practice, we follow safe firearms handling. Yet we hear and read about all the Glocks and such "going off" and it makes us pause sometimes. I guess the short version of my long-winded post is, you're human; you take safety seriously, but everyone seems to know a guy that knows a guy whose gun just went off in his holster. Relax, take baby steps. It sounds like you've trained well for the condition in which you carry, which is good. Eventually, perhaps, you'll feel comfortable carrying chambered.
    I's agree with this. Carrying my .38 made me nervous at first (internal hammer) so around the apartment I'd often carry it with snap caps just to see if it would fall out and go bang doing ordinary things like the laundry. Eventually I got comfortable with it enough so I nearly forget I had it on me. Nowadays I have a Glock 27 on me and yes, one in the pipe. But no playing around with it. The .38 stays in the bedroom with the CTC grips.

Jim

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mook012 View Post
    Do what you feel comfortable with - don't let anyone bully you into carrying "hot" if it doesn't work for you. The Israeli Army doesn't carry anything chambered and as they will tell you they are always 2 minutes from war or seconds from a terrorist attack. They train extensively - unchambered and train to put there weapon in a chambered - ready to fire condition extremely quickly.

Israeli Carry

Remember that for the general Israeli military the handgun is a SECONDARY weapon and the PRIMARY firearm is a rifle.
    Also: Israeli Special Forces now carry the GLOCK and NOT empty chamber.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

I had many years of safety on training drilled into me and it took me a while before I was comfortable carrying chambered.

And I would down vote all of these comments that are so negative if I had that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I had many years of safety on training drilled into me and it took me a while before I was comfortable carrying chambered.

And I would down vote all of these comments that are so negative if I had that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had zero yrs of training or exposure to guns.

I took my training, got my gun, did my research and was told/read that carrying with one in the chamber of my striker-fired weapon was safe (if properly handled) and the correct and most effective way to carry it.

It never phased me a bit. I had no pre-conceived notions of 'more dangerous.' To me, the firearm itself was only as dangerous as I was. And I took my committment to carrying very seriously.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I could be totally wrong about the Israelis, but I can assure you that the US military distinguishes SIGNIFICANTLY between what Special Operations forces do and what "regular GI's" do, in many respects. Your point about the sidearm being a secondary weapon is a good one, but it brings up the question: how do Israeli troops carry their rifles? My guess--and that's all it is--is that soldiers considered to be on duty in an environment requiring the fastest reaction are directed or allowed to chamber a round. Everybody else is *probably* carrying empty chamber.

It wouldn't bother me one iota to be proven wrong, but I suspect my estimate is correct.

I don't fully understand the tendency of some posters here to consider the OP to be a raw incompetent at best, just because he chooses to carry as he does. An "expensive brick," for God's sake? It is beyond question that SD reaction time is sometimes zero, in which case it doesn't always suffice to be carrying a gun in each hand, fingers on triggers. It is also beyond question that loaded gun with empty chamber would prove sufficient in many instances. The OP feels comfortable at that point on the readiness spectrum, others don't. Everyone here is free to make his own choice, right?
    yz9890 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaMan View Post
    I don't fully understand the tendency of some posters here to consider the OP to be a raw incompetent at best, just because he chooses to carry as he does.
    I'm basing the "dithering" (for lack of a better term) on his acknowledgement of being new to carrying and, by implication at least, handguns. As you suggest, it comes down to personal levels of comfort with the pros/cons/skills/procedures involved.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I chose my carry gun based on the same logic. Everyone pushed me to glock however after renting many guns I decided I was not comfortable carrying a striker fired gun with one in the pipe. I was very comfortable with revolvers however I did not like the capacity restriction. I started looking at da/sa pistols however I just did not like the sa mode. I ended up renting a Sig p250 and loved it. I especially liked the flat exposed hammer. I place my thumb over the hammer to press it into the holster. This is what i am comfortable with. Everyone is different.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaMan View Post
    I could be totally wrong about the Israelis, but I can assure you that the US military distinguishes SIGNIFICANTLY between what Special Operations forces do and what "regular GI's" do, in many respects. Your point about the sidearm being a secondary weapon is a good one, but it brings up the question: how do Israeli troops carry their rifles? My guess--and that's all it is--is that soldiers considered to be on duty in an environment requiring the fastest reaction are directed or allowed to chamber a round. Everybody else is *probably* carrying empty chamber.

It wouldn't bother me one iota to be proven wrong, but I suspect my estimate is correct.

I don't fully understand the tendency of some posters here to consider the OP to be a raw incompetent at best, just because he chooses to carry as he does. An "expensive brick," for God's sake? It is beyond question that SD reaction time is sometimes zero, in which case it doesn't always suffice to be carrying a gun in each hand, fingers on triggers. It is also beyond question that loaded gun with empty chamber would prove sufficient in many instances. The OP feels comfortable at that point on the readiness spectrum, others don't. Everyone here is free to make his own choice, right?
    I was in the Air Force until October. I deployed with joint units and we did what we wanted with our handguns, but, the rest of the Air Force, when they draw their 9mm handguns from an armory or their arms room, loads a mag, chambers a round and switches the safety to the "fire" position before holstering. This is how all USAF personnel are trained. If you see an Air Force member packing a handgun, it's loaded with a round in the chamber and the safety off.

All that said, the military in general is not a good example of what's safe or tactically sound. I encountered personnel on numerous occasions (Army troops and Navy aircrews) carrying rifles or handguns who did not possess a single round of ammunition. Some army bases downrange would require us to carry a weapon at all times with an empty magwell, filling the weapon's internals with crud and dust. Remember 99% of the US military, even in deployed locations, does not EVER leave the safety of a heavily fortified installation. Their procedures are adapted accordingly. Comparing to a citizen carrying a concealed defensive weapon is not a valid comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post
    I was in the Air Force until October. I deployed with joint units and we did what we wanted with our handguns, but, the rest of the Air Force, when they draw their 9mm handguns from an armory or their arms room, loads a mag, chambers a round and switches the safety to the "fire" position before holstering. This is how all USAF personnel are trained. If you see an Air Force member packing a handgun, it's loaded with a round in the chamber and the safety off.
    Maybe if you're SF, TACPs, or the like, but the last four deployments I was on (all Air bases in Iraq) everyone had a rifle but it was in the armory and you only drew it if you needed it to go somewhere else or for an exercise. In the former case you would usually get one mag and the latter you would get no ammunition at all. Only our SNCOs and Os were armed at all times (with pistols) and they had their magazines zip-tied into their mag pouches so they couldn't easily remove them. Most of them saw running around with an M9 as a hassle and would rather have been without.

I guess what I'm saying with is that for a variety of reasons military practices, Israeli or otherwise, are probably not the best choice for a civillian carrier to adopt.

Administrator
    Often you will see Israeli soldiers walking around shopping and having lunch carrying only a rifle and the magazine will be completely out of the rifle.

Possibly some Glock owners should mimic that mode of Israeli rifle carry. Chamber empty and magazine tucked in a pocket. Why not be EXTRA EXTRA safe?

It will probably only take a couple of extra seconds to get magazine out of the pocket and inserted into the firearm and then just another fraction of a second to rack the slide.

My only real serious point being that we are not the Israeli military and that the Glock/Empty Chamber carry is really an issue that can be easily resolved by getting qualified training/instruction with competent professionals.

Also please don't assume that I truly care how individuals that I do not know personally carry their firearm in whatever condition they want to carry it in.

Whatever floats your boat is O-Kee-Doke-Kee with me. Knock yourself out.

I can only offer advice as to their situation as I understand it. Certainly I would never insist that any person carry with a round chambered if they lack the confidence to do so.

They wouldn't pay any attention to me if I insisted anyway. I am just fingers on a keyboard.

I can only absolutely state as a fact that proper training builds all areas of confidence.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links