I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

This is a discussion on I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've analyzed this for some time but can not come to any understanding. I have not carried that long. Some of you may remember my ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: I Don't Carry Chambered; Yet

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

I've analyzed this for some time but can not come to any understanding.

I have not carried that long. Some of you may remember my post concerning my appeal and victory.
    I've carried now about 30 days...UN-Chambered.

I am not afraid to admit I am uncomfortable carrying "hot."

My carry weapon is the Glock 27 Gen 4; a striker plate weapon with no external safety.

I FULLY realize and can logically understand this weapon will not "go off" on it's own. I've even been told by a SWAT friend of mine I could throw
    this gun against a wall with one in the chamber and the odds of it discharging are astronomical.

I also completely agree one in the chamber makes far more sense from a self defense stand point.
    I've practiced drawing, racking and trigger pull. I've had people time me. It takes me .8 to 1.1 secs to do this.
    At the range when chambered, the time is greatly reduced. I get it.

Why am I uncomfortable carrying "hot?"
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

You obviously afraid of guns....IMO....get some training.....or someone will take that gun from you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    I've analyzed this for some time but can not come to any understanding.

I have not carried that long. Some of you may remember my post concerning my appeal and victory.
    I've carried now about 30 days...UN-Chambered.

I am not afraid to admit I am uncomfortable carrying "hot."

My carry weapon is the Glock 27 Gen 4; a striker plate weapon with no external safety.

I FULLY realize and can logically understand this weapon will not "go off" on it's own. I've even been told by a SWAT friend of mine I could throw
    this gun against a wall with one in the chamber and the odds of it discharging are astronomical.

I also completely agree one in the chamber makes far more sense from a self defense stand point.
    I've practiced drawing, racking and trigger pull. I've had people time me. It takes me .8 to 1.1 secs to do this.
    At the range when chambered, the time is greatly reduced. I get it.

Why am I uncomfortable carrying "hot?"
    Because you are human.

Don't worry about it and take small steps. After you carry for a while (could be days, or weeks, or months), you'll eventually lose the fear that is keeping you from carrying chambered.

You are carrying a fine firearm and, as you've already been told, it's as safe as they get. With familiarity you'll gain the trust in your pistol. You'll be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    You obviously afraid of guns....IMO....get some training.....or someone will take that gun from you.
    Not true.
    Have been around guns for many years. Been shooting just as many.
    I do train regularly (2-3X/week); probably more than many others.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    As stated it is a training issue.

Here is one simple solution that may get you over the hump. Load and chamber a round in your weapon, put it in your holster, put on the gun and holster as a unit, leave it alone unless you need it. At the end of the day again take the gun and holster off as a unit and then secure it however you choose.

I wish I could find the original video from the Georgia State Police when they tested the first Glocks. These guns were dropped from a helicopter with a chambered primed casing and did not go off. They were thrown across the concrete rolling and bouncing and did not go off. The gun is mechanically safe it is simply a matter of getting over the initial hump.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Put a little less xXxplosively... You lack confidence, skill and comfort with firearms. Training will help and more time at the range.

The one thing I'll pose to you about your speed in drawing and chambering... what if you're fighting someone off with your non shooting arm and desperately need your weapon, are able to draw it... at that point it's nothing but a hammer or brick and the most you can do is try to hit him in the head since you won't have your offhand to rack it.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Don't sweat it, you'll come around... a lot of us started out that way.

If you don't, you don't though - don't let Internet bullies force you into something you aren't comfortable with, but if you're not going to carry chambered then train the same way. Practice drawing, racking, getting on target and firing, safely and accurately, speed will come, but slow is fast I think they say.

VIP Member
    As mentioned earlier, take it in steps. You've already been carrying it without a round in the chamber. Now start carrying it around the house with a round chambered. It won't take long until you accept the fact that the gun will not go off on it's own. Then start carrying that way all the time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Put a little less xXxplosively...
    The one thing I'll pose to you about your speed in drawing and chambering... what if you're fighting someone off with your non shooting arm and desperately need your weapon, are able to draw it... at that point it's nothing but a hammer or brick and the most you can do is try to hit him in the head since you won't have your offhand to rack it.
    Agreed. I agree insomauch as I train racking with left and right hand by using the rear sights up against my belt.
    Not as good as carrying hot I know.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Here is one simple solution that may get you over the hump. Load and chamber a round in your weapon, put it in your holster, put on the gun and holster as a unit, leave it alone unless you need it. At the end of the day again take the gun and holster off as a unit and then secure it however you choose.
    +1!

You can also try just walking around with a round chambered while at your local range. Try and get comfortable doing this for short periods of time until you build your confidence.

Just don't get complacent.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

This guy was uncomfortable carrying with one up the pipe but he doesn't have to worry about it now.

LiveLeak.com - CCTV Records Jewellery Store Murder

Its traumatic so don't watch if you have a weak stomach.

If you carried a revolver it would always be "hot".

When we went hunting for pheasant or quail or deer or anything... the gun was always carried 'hot' and ready to fire.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

My advice for what it's worth.
    Don't carry with one in the pipe unless you are comfortable doing so.
    It requires a special attention to detail.
    Every one of the accidental/negligent discharges you read about are either
    loaded chamber or clearing chamber related.
    Read them carefully. None of them I have read involved a dropped or thrown gun.
    They occurred by way of user error.

This is good advice:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Don't sweat it, you'll come around... a lot of us started out that way.

If you don't, you don't though - don't let Internet bullies force you into something you aren't comfortable with, but if you're not going to carry chambered then train the same way. Practice drawing, racking, getting on target and firing, safely and accurately, speed will come, but slow is fast I think they say.

That video says it all. Find a way to get cozy with it, in my opinion it is not optional.
    wishyouwell and nerdyvirgin like this.

Administrator
    So...what's your plan if an attack scenario happens so quickly and aggressively that you need to use your "gun racking hand" to protect your head from being caved in?

Firearms are (of course) designed for the purpose of inflicting great bodily harm and/or death. And so the carry and use of one demands respect and a correct firearm handling regimen.

Respect for a firearm and what it is capable of doing is a different animal than fear of a firearm.

So...you need to decide if you do not trust yourself or it is the firearm that you do not trust. Is it the firearm that you fear or is it yourself that you fear?

Possibly a GLOCK (or any semi-automatic handgun) is not the firearm for you.

My opinion is that you either need to get professional firearm training or switch to a revolver.

Plenty of people carry revolvers every day for personal defense and they are quite happy with them and feel well protected.

By carrying a revolver you will only ever need one hand to get it into quick action. Problem basically solved.

If you initially bought a GLOCK because everybody told you that it was "the cats ass" neat-o gun to own - and you read that everywhere also - so you went out and bought one but, you can't get yourself to the point where you can carry it as intended then (simply put) it is not the ideal (or best choice) firearm for you to carry.

Truthfully...the "COOL BEANS!" "It's a GLOCK!!!" ain't doing you very much good for quick and effective personal defense.

Sell it/Trade it & go gun shopping for a high quality wheel gun. Either that or commit yourself to sign up for a real world defensive handgun course.
    DaGunny, JDE101 and skatalite like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links