Concealing Glock 19 - Page 2

Concealing Glock 19

This is a discussion on Concealing Glock 19 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 6"1" tall, 210 lbs and I carry a G19 95% of the time in an OWB hybrid beltslide. Larger cut shirts are a plus. Cool ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Concealing Glock 19

6"1" tall, 210 lbs and I carry a G19 95% of the time in an OWB hybrid beltslide. Larger cut shirts are a plus. Cool weather and jackets make it easier too. Broad shoulder help as well. But I carry the same way in shorts and a t shirt or pants and a jacket. I don't worry too much if it prints. I have found that just behind the hip bone helps conceal it, especially with some forward cant. It lets the grip stay in the curve of your back. Wear it at 3:00 and you can't help but print.

In my honest opinion, the only difference in concealing an IWB and an OWB is that IWB does not allow the muzzle to show if the shirt rides up. A good OWB holster with a good belt should ride just as tightly as the IWB that balloons out your pants. That 1/4" of belt and pants fabric is not causing the printing on OWB.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have a 1" leather belt that i've had for 10 years that wear. I've been considering getting a gun belt, any suggestions on a good one? Carrying is still new to me, and i'm very self conscious if it prints. Maybe I need to learn to let that thought go. When you talk about where on the clock you carry, are you talking about where on the circumference of your waist or the tilt of the gun in the holster? I originally put the gun at 4:00 (on the circumference of my waist) because it is most comfortable on me, but then I moved it to 3:0 because I felt it concealed better. Not near as comfortable though. I do have the gun tilted forward, that allows the grip to sit into my side and almost disappear if i'm standing upright. I am 5' 7" 145 and lean (i'm a runner). When I drive it's a little uncomfortable. When I bend over I print a lot.

Concealing Glock 19

Granted this holster is for a lefty such as myself, it also comes in right handed and in available for many makes and models.

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...-Hand/20754560

I'm 5'11/180lbs and I conceal a full size M&P40 comfortably all day long. It's light, durable, and a steal at under $9.00 at Walmart. When I first started carrying I also worried about printing. But you have to remember you aren't looking at your body the way the sheeple will. The uninformed public are so self absorbed that the anything out side of their cell phone doesn't exist. No one is looking at your waistband, We Promise. :) The key to concealed carrying is acting as though you don't have a gun on your hip and go about your day as usual. It will take a bit to get used to but once you relax and find the correct cant, you are good to go my friend.

Be safe.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355642945.465534.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1355642968.189316.jpg

Clothes patterns and colors play big into hiding a pistol shape. Also finding certain clothes that fit ur body shape in the way theyre cut. I'm right handed and I carry my G19 at 4 o'clock give or take a bit. Find a holster that will turn the grip close to ur side helps a lot in not printing during IWB carry mode.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Carrying at 3 o'clock will definitely conceal better - especially since you are lean. You'll want to wear the gun so that when you bend forward, the butt barely protrudes from the plane of your back. A quality belt makes a big difference. Carrying at 4:30 or 5 o'clock would probably conceal better - with a quality belt. But it's harder to get to....

A downside to 3 o'clock is that the gun is against your hip bone - being lean you'll probably notice it more. Appendix carry is something you might consider....very easy to conceal, and comfortable. There is the safety factor - it's a very personal choice.

How long have you been carrying?

If you like leather, Beltman.net is a great place to get a belt. For nylon, there are lots of options. Mine is from Jones Tactical - I think the most popular one is the "Wilderness 5 stitch" - google will find it for you.

Austin

5'8' 170 beer belly, hybrid leather kydex holster(shielded holster) on a bladetech looper gunbelt, about 3:15 just behind the right hip excessive cant maybe 30 degrees+ , front clip in top hole, back clip in bottom hole. xl shirt no undershirt and it barely prints when I bend over,mostly black shirts, carry time 50/50 between g19 and g21 for some reason my g21 feels lighter to carry,used to appendix carry until i traded in my 6pack for a kegger belly.
    A friend will help you move. A real friend will help move the bodies.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NyoGoat View Post
    I have a 1" leather belt that i've had for 10 years that wear. I've been considering getting a gun belt, any suggestions on a good one? Carrying is still new to me, and i'm very self conscious if it prints. Maybe I need to learn to let that thought go. When you talk about where on the clock you carry, are you talking about where on the circumference of your waist or the tilt of the gun in the holster? I originally put the gun at 4:00 (on the circumference of my waist) because it is most comfortable on me, but then I moved it to 3:0 because I felt it concealed better. Not near as comfortable though. I do have the gun tilted forward, that allows the grip to sit into my side and almost disappear if i'm standing upright. I am 5' 7" 145 and lean (i'm a runner). When I drive it's a little uncomfortable. When I bend over I print a lot.
    In my opinion it's definitely the belt, but may be other things in addition to; assuredly the belt though. A purpose designed gun belt will be stiff and keep the gun from tilting out and away from your body. A gun belt is designed to carry the weight of a handgun, magazines/equipment in addition to keeping your pants at the proper height. A pants belt is only meant to hold up your trousers. It will depend on your style of dress as to what will work best. Nylon will be less expensive and look a little more tactical or outdoorsy, leather can be dressy or casual depending on buckle, stitching, carving, and thickness.

A couple of options: Wilderness Instructor's 5 Stitch is an excellent belt, I prefer the re-enforced model that incorporates a polymer insert to increase stiffness. Plenty of other options in tactical nylon out there, but I like this brand more than others I have tried. I also really like High Noon Holster Companies Rock Solid Gun Belt, two straps of leather stitched over a polymer insert. This belt will really take a beating and still look great for years, maybe decades. Galco offers a few belts and I have owned a couple early on in my time carrying. Not overly stiff, but fine for carrying polymer framed or smaller guns. I didn't like these for Government sized 1911's. I want to try some of the scuba webbing belts out, but haven't done so yet. Plenty, actually tons of other options out there do a little research and I'm sure you will find something that works.

I've stated on this site before and still fully believe this, A good gun belt is more important that the holster. A decent holster, be it Kydex, leather or hybrid will work with a quality gun belt, but the best holster in the world will fail to conceal on a trendy department store dress belt. Try moving your rig around, change the cant to tuck the grip in more if that's an issue, but get ahold of a gun belt and I bet the problem will be solved.

GH
    I've never had any trouble concealing. Sometimes just an inch forward or backward on your belt can make a difference. A slightly over sized thick sweatshirt or hoodie does the job just fine. In the summer a slightly larger t shirt, untucked, conceals very sufficiently. Looking in a mirror I can see that I'm carrying because I know exactly where the gun is. I doubt if anyone else will notice. When my wife asks me why I don't have my gun I know I'm okay, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

You answered your question.
    A gun belt makes all the difference in the world. Most common is 1 1/2". For IWB I use an Old Faithful Holster and one of there 1 1/2" leather gun belts.

I have a hard time relating to a thin guy. But lets go anyway. It's a few things all together. First, you need a real gun belt. Not very stylish for the most part. I've used a Wilderness Belt and they do work great. I suggest the 5 stitch version. Looser pants help. More of the not very stylish stuff. Also wear a cover shirt. Loose fitting and printed. I tend to leave mine untucked. It's more of the not so stylish stuff. Hoodies tend to print because of the material they are made of. They are soft and clingy. Bad for concealing.

Move your holster forward and backward and up and down until you find the sweet spot. This can take a while.

Concealing a Glock 19 is no big deal for someone that has been doing it for a while. We don't pay any attention to the minor printing that occurs. A newer guy or gal will figure everybody see's you.

I carried a Glock 26 for a long time before I could get past the feeling people were staring at me. Now if it's not blistering hot out I carry a Glock 17 most of the time. Nobody even notices. The 26 is exceptionally easy to conceal. You might want to try one out for a while.
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    How the heck do you do it? I have a white hat max tuck IWB holster, but everything I wear prints like a ... well you know. Even my hoody sweater on top prints. I find it very difficult. I'm considering trying to trade it for a smaller gun, or saving up to get a smaller one too (i've heard good things about the Ruger LC9).
    I have carried my 19 in one of these for several years. It conceals very easily under shorts and t-shirt. The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube As someone else mentioned, a quality gun belt is critical. I usually wear a Wilderness Instructor.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

A good holster, boned for the gun, a quality belt, and larger shirts...you'll be good to go.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am 5'5 female and carry my G19 daily.

Use a good belt

I use an IWB holster. I carry just a little in front of my hip- I find that location versatile, I am comfortable walking and riding in the car.

Also mine has a forward cant in the holster and I adjusted it to go even further forward- my husband says an more forward and I will have to draw upside down.

Same size pants- just bigger tops. Also anything with some kind of print or design/logo on the side by the gun helps break it up. Darker colors work nice. Or some kind of cover garment like a hoodie, or a zip-up or a sweater. (Summer time I tend to not care if I print- drives the husband nuts but who cares! )

Don't have my plastic yet, but all paperwork has been filed. In the mean time, I got one of these and have been working with it around the house for a couple weeks. It is comfortable, hides my G19 Gen4 very well with some wardrobe adjustments. I'm 5'6" about 170, pretty good shape. I bought some elastic banded jeans and they work great for drawing. I think I need to go up a size on the shorts with some type of elastic, working on that. This holster can work 360. Check out the sight, watch the video. I will post some pics later, just thought I'd give another option, Kel

3 Speed Holster

3 SPEED HOLSTER - Part 1 Deep Conceal, IWB, and Mid-Section Holster - YouTube

3 SPEED HOLSTER - Part 2 www.3SPEEDholster.com - YouTube

If you are not wearing a true thick "gun" belt, the firearm will lean out a little bit. The CompTac Minotaur works for many. You will also get more support from a 1 1/2" belt.

Overland and CompTac make good belts. I use them for slacks and a Wilderness Tactical instructor for casual.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links