Conceal Carry Confessions and Dirty Little Secrets

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry Confessions and Dirty Little Secrets within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the recent threads of honest admissions of complacency leading to ND, or discomfort with carrying with "one in the pipe," I've been inspired to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Conceal Carry Confessions and Dirty Little Secrets

With the recent threads of honest admissions of complacency leading to ND, or discomfort with carrying with "one in the pipe," I've been inspired to confess a few not-so-correct, irrational, and humorous conceal carry issues I've encountered in my CC experience:

1. I tell people I picked the Springfield XD9 over the Glock 19 because of the grip angle, but it really is because of the XD's grip safety (irrational fear of Glock Leg)
    2. I will turn my body if my 3 year old is standing in line with the muzzle of my holstered gun (even when it's in a full coverage leather/kydex holster).
    3. I am amused by the 6'+ 225#+ guy to my right at the LGS talking about trading in his Ruger SR9 for a LC9, cuz it was impossible to conceal such a HUGE gun, as I am 3 feet away, concealing a gun twice the size, on a body half his size.
    4. I like telling same guy what I'm carrying, and enjoy breaking the stereotype that little ladies like and need little guns.
    5. The first time I understood I was likely the most "dangerous" person in the room, I felt empowered and appalled at the same time.
    6. That one time I squatted down in the checkout lane to grab the soda from the bottom of my cart, I know that couple behind me saw my gun poke out and print in the most obscene way. But I don't care, in fact I'm kinda glad you saw it, you stopped your annoying bickering at each other, and could enjoy my checkout in peace.
    Last edited by MamaMaria; December 16th, 2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: grammar

2. Remove Ads

Bingo on number 6......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

LOL - Maria, if you are ever in AZ let me know and I'll buy you a drink!

I loved the SR9/LC9 analogy, I own and carry both, sometimes at the same time.

And +1 on #4 - This old lady carries an HK45, and I sometimes think about moving up to a Desert Eagle .50.
    MamaMaria likes this.

VIP Member
    #3 made me choke on my coffee!

We've all seen it before. This huge guy at the LGS or range proudly pulls out a micro SC pistol and states that it is the only thing that can be carried all day without being too uncomfortable or printing too much. As a fairly big guy (who carries a service sized pistol) I laugh. I can only imagine how humorous it is to you smaller ladies.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

GH
    Great confessions! Now get a bigger gun & sin no more, lol.
    MamaMaria likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Nice list. But you broke #4. I dont tell anyone when or what Im carrying. Its none of there buisness. Carry on.
    MikeyIdaho likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Nice list. But you broke #4. I dont tell anyone when or what Im carrying. Its none of there buisness. Carry on.
    Nah, I generally do not share (always carry, never tell, right?). However, in this case, I'm acquainted with this man; we've shot next to each other at the local range before. Heck, he's seen me practicing my draw, asked me a few questions about the XD. I think he was surprised that I was actually carrying that gun, lol.

5. The first time I understood I was likely the most "dangerous" person in the room, I felt empowered and appalled at the same time.
    Now that's a profound truth right there!

#3 & 6. Been there done that. 6'3" 240. Carry full size 9. I would feel silly carrying a pocket rocket as a primary. Had a guy at Walmart look at me and made a shirt tail gesture after I bent over on that soda/chip aisle grabbing a 12 pack.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    With the recent threads of honest admissions of complacency leading to ND, or discomfort with carrying with "one in the pipe," I've been inspired to confess a few not-so-correct, irrational, and humorous conceal carry issues I've encountered in my CC experience:

1. I tell people I picked the Springfield XD9 over the Glock 19 because of the grip angle, but it really is because of the XD's grip safety (irrational fear of Glock Leg)
    2. I will turn my body if my 3 year old is standing in line with the muzzle of my holstered gun (even when it's in a full coverage leather/kydex holster).
    3. I am amused by the 6'+ 225#+ guy to my right at the LGS talking about trading in his Ruger SR9 for a LC9, cuz it was impossible to conceal such a HUGE gun, as I am 3 feet away, concealing a gun twice the size, on a body half his size.
    4. I like telling same guy what I'm carrying, and enjoy breaking the stereotype that little ladies like and need little guns.
    6. That one time I squatted down in the checkout lane to grab the soda from the bottom of my cart, I know that couple behind me saw my gun poke out and print in the most obscene way. But I don't care, in fact I'm kinda glad you saw it, you stopped your annoying bickering at each other, and could enjoy my checkout in peace.
    Nice to hear about women carrying a bigger gun! I'm starting off with a M&P Shield, and I'm still worried about printing! Havn't gotton my ccl yet, but I figured I can start practicing around my house/property. Most the women in my family carry, but they carry in a purse and I'm going to carry on body. Don't like the idea of purse carry.
    oldnfat, Yetiman, darbo and 1 others like this.

Great post!

I have been making more an effort to carry a full size XD-40 IWB rather than my normal J Frame in a pocket holster. I'm not a small guy (5'10", 220#), and don't have any trouble concealing the larger pistol - it was usually just convenience that always led to carrying the J Frame. When out shopping yesterday, I had the XD under a denim shirt cover garment until it warmed up. I took off the cover garment and just concealed it under the white t-shirt I was wearing. I went into a local Hobby Lobby, and decided to hit the little boys room, and noticed that if I was looking, I could see the black grip of the pistol through the lightweight white fabric of the t-shirt. So what. People are oblivious, and I could see it because I was looking for it. My wife told me she could see it if the light was right, but she knew to look for it. Carry on. No worries.

Cheers.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by BekahM View Post
    Nice to hear about women carrying a bigger gun! I'm starting off with a M&P Shield, and I'm still worried about printing! Havn't gotton my ccl yet, but I figured I can start practicing around my house/property. Most the women in my family carry, but they carry in a purse and I'm going to carry on body. Don't like the idea of purse carry.
    I started off carrying a much smaller gun. I think for women, especially, there's a learning curve in overcoming the self-conscious feeling of actually carrying. With time, you'll begin to realize that the average person doesn't notice. The only ones who do are likely CC'ers themselves. Before I carried, it never dawned on me to stare at people's waistbands, scanning for (gasp...Ermahgerd...a gun!)
    Lish and minimalbrat like this.

I too started off carrying a smaller gun, I still don't carry a big one - now I carry an XDsc, but its considerably thicker than what I started with.

"The first time I understood I was likely the most "dangerous" person in the room, I felt empowered and appalled at the same time."

I've been called "Armed and dangerous" a couple of times. I just reply with "Armed and Safe, and so are you as long as I'm in the area." LOL
    minimalbrat likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I feel the same way after eating a Super Burrito
    skatalite, Camjr, CJM and 8 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links