Will they ever take our guns?

This is a discussion on Will they ever take our guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I sit here at work watching the various Sunday news shows on AFN, the overwhelming feeling is that an outright ban.... on 'assult-weapons' at ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Will they ever take our guns?

As I sit here at work watching the various Sunday news shows on AFN, the overwhelming feeling is that an outright ban.... on 'assult-weapons' at the very least...... is needed right NOW! With the major news networks already onboard and now the public seeing only the evil first hand they'll get a lot of public support. Any body who opposes that view is pounced on and all but shut down. Seen it several times on three diffrent shows this morning. With 20 kids dead, it dosn't matter. 'They' (the anti's) were right all along and they'll throw it in our faces. Just ask 'em they'll tell ya.

An outright gun ban? No..... but, that's the direction this administration, this goverment, will try to go. It'll be fought HARD by most on the right.... and by 'us', but consessions will be made and those will be the 'baby-steps' needed to implement later legeslation. Americans as a whole will not tolorate being disarmed I believe, but we're gonna have to stand up and be heard, again and again. Over and over.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Will they try? Maybe but will be unsuccessful.

Yes, they will take our guns. And with 60% of the country being complete morons (look at the last election) it will happen sooner rather than later.

America isn't America anymore. What made us great was the spirit of excellence and freedom, that is dead in about 80% of the population. We are the most narcissistic society in the world. Why else would I "tweet" what I am doing (as if you care) or update my stupid facebook status to "in a relationship" or whatever. We have all failed as parents (for the most part) to teach our children the proper things they need to know to be good citizens. And not raising them with the fear of punishment when they do wrong. THAT is what leads to a person gunning down innocent children.

An Ar-15 didn't walk into that school and start shooting, it isn't alive. But outlaw them, fine, it will do nothing to fix the problems and mass shootings will still occur. It is a SOCIETY problem, not a GUN problem. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid. The America so many have fought and died to preserve has been lost and we all will lose our freedoms sooner or later.

The only hope is for those who have a brain (most of you reading this are in that category IMO) start going on the offensive and quickly. For too long the NRA and others have been "reactive", we better be proactive. I am so sick of government legislators trying to fix tragedy with law. It doesn't work!!!!!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Yes, they will take our guns. And with 60% of the country being complete morons (look at the last election) it will happen sooner rather than later.

America isn't America anymore. What made us great was the spirit of excellence and freedom, that is dead in about 80% of the population. We are the most narcissistic society in the world. Why else would I "tweet" what I am doing (as if you care) or update my stupid facebook status to "in a relationship" or whatever. We have all failed as parents (for the most part) to teach our children the proper things they need to know to be good citizens. And not raising them with the fear of punishment when they do wrong. THAT is what leads to a person gunning down innocent children.

An Ar-15 didn't walk into that school and start shooting, it isn't alive. But outlaw them, fine, it will do nothing to fix the problems and mass shootings will still occur. It is a SOCIETY problem, not a GUN problem. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid. The America so many have fought and died to preserve has been lost and we all will lose our freedoms sooner or later.

The only hope is for those who have a brain (most of you reading this are in that category IMO) start going on the offensive and quickly. For too long the NRA and others have been "reactive", we better be proactive. I am so sick of government legislators trying to fix tragedy with law. It doesn't work!!!!!
    Good post and I pretty much agree. However the govt hasn't done a very good job to quell drugs or illegal aliens. In fact everytime Washington speaks, there are record sales on guns. They might try, but the outcome ain't going to be pretty. Note my signature line, that's what we can do right now.......and keep doing it.
    goldshellback and Bark'n like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Connecticut school shooting reignites gun control debate

Connecticut school shooting reignites gun control debate | Fox News Video

This is the meat of the debate from two sides of that 'coin'. The hard left wants these guns gone.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I dont think they really can, even considering any Obama Multi-national attemps. I don't believe the constitution allows it.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    After this last election I have ZERO faith in "the people". I can no longer use how I think and reason and apply it to the masses or the collective. My values are no longer mainstream. So to answer your question, I no longer know if the govt., this administration supported by their people would be capable of making laws that take away our right to own firearms, protect ourselves from both individuals that mean to do us and ours harm or a govt. overstepping it's foundation/boundaries.

Can legislation be passed that would outlaw firearms ownership? Enough citizens and politicians have been initiated to these ideas over time through the media's social programming. We have seen the numbers that want a nanny state to protect and care for their every need with no thought to caring for themselves. I myself would never voluntarily give away my personal liberty and certainly others feel the same, but for the majority this doesn't hold true. I try to take how I comprehend things out of my thoughts and see things from different perspectives. Possibly we are turning into a society I am not part of.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Will they ever take our guns?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    After this last election I have ZERO faith in "the people". I can no longer use how I think and reason and apply it to the masses or the collective. My values are no longer mainstream. So to answer your question, I no longer know if the govt., this administration supported by their people would be capable of making laws that take away our right to own firearms, protect ourselves from both individuals that mean to do us and ours harm or a govt. overstepping it's foundation/boundaries.

Can legislation be passed that would outlaw firearms ownership? Enough citizens and politicians have been initiated to these ideas over time through the media's social programming. We have seen the numbers that want a nanny state to protect and care for their every need with no thought to caring for themselves. I myself would never voluntarily give away my personal liberty and certainly others feel the same, but for the majority this doesn't hold true. I try to take how I comprehend things out of my thoughts and see things from different perspectives. Possibly we are turning into a society I am not part of.
    Of all the good answers found here, yours reflects my own feelings the closest.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Thank you kimberpackin, that is very kind. I wrote my response before looking over the others. Now asI work my way backwards to reading the other responses I've found several great one's. I am sure there are a bunch more, but currently I really like Smolk's.

I see another ban coming on the AK/AR type platform. That could happen pretty quickly. Extended capacity magazines (and that could be anything beyond 5-8 rounds) will be next. Look for online sales of ammo to be discontinued. You'll have to go to the store to buy it and there will be a limit on how much you can buy at one time. Ammo sales will probably be recorded so you can't jump from one store to another. That's the stuff that I can see happening in the near future.

After that, look for qualifications for carry permits to tighten dramatically. Then at some point ammunition will be restricted to "hunting calibers".
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    As many liberals say and believe "Don't let a tragedy or crisis go to waste." Given recent events they will enact stricter gun laws, more intense
    background checks and bans on certain types of weapons.

To me the real threat lies in the restrictions on ammo. How many civilian gun owners have what amounts to an unlimited supply of ammo for
    their various weapons?

Supply, price and restrictions will be the way that the government "disarms" the civilian populations. After all without ammo or the resources
    and skills to load your own our rifles and pistols are nothing more than expensive clubs.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Is the climate right to get rid of guns? Is this the right government administration to do it? I don't know, but I'm concerned.

One thing that is new this go around. Diane Feinstien of California is all for the assault weapons ban with a No Grandfather clause for current owners of the proposed banned weapons. Now that doesn't bode well, does it?

Will it happen? Who knows?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If only "doing something" actually meant doing something useful, or practical.

But pointless posturing doesn't have that as a goal. Goals like that just aren't ... well, practical.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Is the climate right to get rid of guns? Is this the right government administration to do it? I don't know, but I'm concerned.

One thing that is new this go around. Diane Feinstien of California is all for the assault weapons ban with a No Grandfather clause for current owners of the proposed banned weapons. Now that doesn't bode well, does it?

Will it happen? Who knows?
    Outside of a few liberal Democrats, I doubt that Feinstein's proposal will garner much support. A ban on new sales might make it through. We'll see.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

They may not outright take them but make it almost impossible to get, say like getting a CCW in Md. Or tax the ammo so much you won't be able to afford to shoot.
    Hodad likes this.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links