Will they ever take our guns?

This is a discussion on Will they ever take our guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DFM914 Will they try? Maybe but will be unsuccessful. Are you sure about that? What makes you so sure? They've banned guns ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Will they ever take our guns?

Quote Originally Posted by DFM914 View Post
    Will they try? Maybe but will be unsuccessful.
    Are you sure about that? What makes you so sure? They've banned guns before. And it had a big impact. The only flaw was it had a sunset clause because at the time, that was the only clout they had to get the Clinton AWB. Today's political climate and current administration is much different now than it was then. And this administration is all about getting on board with the UN Small Arms Treaty, and doing so with an accelerated intensity.

Now a lot of people intend to not turn in their weapons if it does happen. And I don't think the government will make a big deal of it. It'll just be like failure to appear in court and a bench warrant issued. Tell them you sold your guns, or they were stolen. No big deal. But the day you surface and are caught with one of the banned guns... Instant felon. Use your so called "banned gun" to defend yourself against a home invasion, and guess what... Instant felon. Oh, you'll be okay for the self defense use of the gun. But you'll do hard time for being in possession of a banned weapon. That's how they'll do it.

The law will be enacted and it will state that you have 60 days to turn in your weapons (or some other arbitrary amount of time). The law will also say you are not allowed to transfer or sell your gun in any transaction. And that will be the end of it. For the time being. No door to door goons coming in to search your home or any of that thuggery. They'll just wait and bide their time and get you when you are caught in possession of one of the banned weapons. They'll get you the same way they get anyone else who has a warrant for their arrest. Except in this case they'll get you when you use it to defend yourself or are similarly caught with one in your possession.

So you may have your guns hidden away from the government. But once you use it for self defense and the police arrive... Well, lets just say, They have a nice cell reserved just for you.

So, you think it will never happen? Please, enlighten all of us and tell us specifically how it will never happen.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

They will try.

We will defend our right to keep and bear arms.

They will use bigger and better arms against us.

Lives won't be the only things that will be lost.
    AWDeanSr likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I think I need to get a couple AR's and a few AK's and bury them in my backyard just in case.

But here is what I find amazingly ironic about the media and the liberals: Bob Costas had his little rant during a football game about gun violence and what not (as if I care what any sportscaster or actor for that matter have to say about political stuff). He them goes on Bill Oreilly's show and says he isn't anti-gun, but he thinks we need stricter laws and nobody should be able to CARRY them. That is my biggest fear, that they take away my right to CARRY my gun when I leave home.

Of course, a week later another NFL player kills his buddy while driving under the influence. Do we get a rant from Bob about stricter alcohol laws? Of course not. Does CNN call for the banning of automobiles? Of course not. But blaming a car for drunk driving deaths is the same as blaming guns for the mass shootings. Where is the public outrage on that issue? Such is the hipocrisy of the left, liberal media. And because people are too busy tweeting and texting, they say nothing and don't even care.

I saw a lot of "tweets" from people about the shooting in CT. It sort of made me angry. If you really want to help, put down the effing smart phone and go tudor a child. Or be a foster parent and put some values into children who need them the most. See, the bottom line is, nobody wants to do the hard work to make our streets safer. It is easy to pass gun laws, or abolish them altogether. It is hard to spend the time and effort to mentor a child and teach him how to live his life properly and that is why nobody does it.

I am so angry I could just scream. People are so stupid. These great minds in government (REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRAT) can't even balance a budget, spend less than they make, or do ANYTHING about the fiscal issues are now somehow smart enough to solve all mass shootings with more legislation.

FIRE ALL OF THE PEOPLE IN WASHINGTON and lets start over. And limit terms for senators and house reps to 4 years total. Career politicians are ruining our country!
    tkruf and mg27 like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

It will be a long, long time if it ever happens. The Feds all the way down to the local Governments make Millions if not Billions in Taxes off the sale of Guns, Ammo. Can you imagine how much money is being spent on Guns since this horrible tragedy in Connecticut? My good friend waited in line at Gander Mountain for over 2 1/2 hours the day of the Connecticut Shooting. He told me that most individuals there wanted to purchase because of what The Feds might do concerning new Gun Legislation.

Every time I opened up the Radio today the news said that people were filling Gun Shows and Gun Stores in record numbers. The American People know what the Liberal Anti-Gunners are up to and it isn't any good news for us...

Frado

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    The kind that wants insightful responses. I already know the answer of "from my cold dead hand". I can agree somewhat with that. What I want to know is what others like me (ccw or not)think on a more intellectual level. I am looking for thinking/thoughtful answers. I have no plans of just throwing my guns in a heap at a government organized gun turn in either.

The question goes far beyond the intellectual
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I grieve for those families in CT and OR.

I do believe they will reintroduce the AWB and mag capacity will be limited. Right now I don't think they will require anything to be "turned in". I do blame the media for spiraling the frenzy out of control and putting their own views in their commentary. I am kind of po'd about a comment I heard about the murderer's mother - "She had a collection of weapons - which is odd for a woman." Really? Stereotypical. I am a woman with my own "assault" (hate that term too) weapons apart from my husbands so I guess I am "odd."
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Not sure if it WILL happen but, after reading this post (and a couple of others) it's obvious that it CAN happen. Too often, we think that the massive numbers of handgun owners alone will prevent any attempts to disarm responsible people. Or we believe that there are too many guns to confiscate to seriously try a mass collection of weapons, so at least we will be allowed to keep what we have.

Two wrong ideas:

Laws will be written, championed, passed and implemented by a mere handful. Yes, the masses can contact, influence and sway but at the end of the day, it will be the handful that will make decisions related to this. This handful wants to be a voice for people but that voice is barely audible since the media proclaimed itself as the VOICE that "reflects" true national thought. There will be no one trying to wrestle a handgun away from a responsible, law-abiding citizen. No, it will be a process of declaring what you legally own now as "illegal". It will redefine those who have always been law-abiding as possessors of illegal contraband, thereby making them lawbreakers. The argument of self-defense will be identified as a mistrust of law enforcement. So, it's important to be involved in the mature discussion with those you know who are part of the handful.

Responsible gun ownership is a mind-set. The fact is, there is a cultural shift occurring that wants to redefine those who have that mind-set as survivalists, extremists and dangerous. Yet, those I personally know with that mind-set grieve when irresponsible, mentally unstable individuals take lives brutally by any means. This mind-set has a tremendous desire to protect life. And, we will be forever changed for the worse if that mind-set loses the constitutional right to protect life established from the first days of our nation.

It's going to take mature dialogue. Aggressive? Yes.

Will they take away the right to be a responsible gun-owner citizen? Not sure but it could happen.
    smolck likes this.

New Member Array Rivercitytider's Avatar

States must invoke the 10th amendment

and nullify any attempt on the part of the Feds to seize guns. Or else, we must start a grass roots movement to throw governors and state legislators out of office.

Another thing I would advise is for you to begin to discourage friends and relatives from joining the armed services. The heart and soul of the armed services are the very people who believe in the 2nd amendment, the hunters & rural folks who would never comment a crime with a fire arm, yet are now to be targeted as potential criminals and disarmed in the face of raging crime. Stop enabling the federal government by manning their military and enabling their overseas adventures.

Mohammed Ali was famous for his statement "No Vietcong ever called me *******.". Well, no Iraqi or Afganistan ever tried to revoke my constitutional rights.

But a ban is coming. Times are different. And you will comply or you will be charged with a felony the minute you defend your self or your family against a cracked out urban zombie.

SO, the time to fight it is now. Not next week or next year. Put your time and money into stopping this.

And be warned, you will be accused of not caring about the lives of innocent children.

Now close your eyes, and imagine yourself at 65. You have a bad heart. Your wife is Ill. Someone is beating your front door down. The police are a mere 15 minutes away. And your own Govt had deemed you a threat and taken your only means of self defense.
    AWDeanSr likes this.

Will they ever take our guns?

I have just endured dinner with my father in-law That flat out told me no normal citizen should own an "semi automatic AW" To the rest of us a rifle There is no need for it according to him. But hunting rifles are ok. Now my brother In law and my wife both disagree with him but he is set in his ways. He would not listen to any reasoning. But I look at it as this is the majority or America. Most ill informed people or just people are set in their ways and will never change. Funny tho because his own son served his country and spent a few years over seas protecting his values

So paint your AR camouflage. Now it's a sporting/hunting rifle, not a "black rifle/assault weapon". I know there's more to it than that. Yes, I think we should all be worried. We have a government runamuck.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

One thing to bear in mind... Diane Feinstien, who helped craft the first AWB is making noise this go around will not allow presently owned evil guns to be grandfathered if and when a new AWB is brought forward. And she was saying that before this weeks schoolhouse tragedy in CT.

No doubt there will be a lot of opposition, but she's a powerful player in the Democrat controlled Senate. Will the Rupublican held House have the stomach, or the clout to resist? We shall see.
    Eagleks likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

All this talk is making me think about buying an AK or other rifle instead of another handgun.

I really can't see LE coming door to door to take our guns, I can see elected officials trying to push legislation that will ban semi auto/ "assault" rifles. If they ever do try to come door to door to take our guns I think it will be something like the Rodney king riots or other craziness. There is no way I could sit by and let it happen

No, they ain't gonna take your guns.

But they very well may make 10+ round magazines illegal, and make a new AWB.

so if your life is dependent upon owning an AK-47 with a foldable stock & 100 round drum magazine, now's the time to buy it.

With the sad outcome of the presidential election and nonsense like this latest shooting spree, I feel like our 2nd amendment rights are in mortal danger. And with the passing of the NDAA,our freedom in general, is seriously at risk. Why the NDAA is Unconstitutional » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

If there is a weapons ban, will the Secret Service agents set a good example and disarm first ? Hmmmm.... not !

On the subject of killing children- How many innocent children have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan by both Bush and Obama ?

Has everyone read this ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Weapons_Law Many countries with strict gun laws have major homicide rates...Mexico for example.

So much could be said, but the real questions should be- What has happened to this once great country...the US of A ? Why are there so many mass murders these days ? If the masses are entertained by violence (Movies, TV, Music, Video games, MMA, War etc.) , why are we surprised when youth, who have been raised/entertained on violence, commit mindless acts of violence ? Ban violent entertainment and teach children to obey the law of God, the 10 Commandments of the Bible("Thou shalt not kill"etc). Now that would change some things !

Quote Originally Posted by BradKLR View Post
    With the sad outcome of the presidential election and nonsense like this latest shooting spree, I feel like our 2nd amendment rights are in mortal danger. And with the passing of the NDAA,our freedom in general, is seriously at risk. Why the NDAA is Unconstitutional » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

If there is a weapons ban, will the Secret Service agents set a good example and disarm first ? Hmmmm.... not !

On the subject of killing children- How many innocent children have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan by both Bush and Obama ?

Has everyone read this ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Weapons_Law Many countries with strict gun laws have major homicide rates...Mexico for example.

So much could be said, but the real questions should be- What has happened to this once great country...the US of A ? Why are there so many mass murders these days ? If the masses are entertained by violence (Movies, TV, Music, Video games, MMA, War etc.) , why are we surprised when youth, who have been raised/entertained on violence, commit mindless acts of violence ? Ban violent entertainment and teach children to obey the law of God, the 10 Commandments of the Bible("Thou shalt not kill"etc). Now that would change some things !
    Yes but I hope you don't mean to say that presidents instruct military commanders to directly target children. That's ridiculous.

Plus you actually blame TV and games? Really? Dude, I play tons of violent games. Have since I was younger than 8 and no, not once did I ever think "Hey let me go try this on someone". Why? Cause my parents didn't ignore me and I understood the difference between reality and fantasy. Don't sit here and blame everyone else. There is only one person to blame and that is the shooter.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links