Will they ever take our guns? - Page 8

Will they ever take our guns?

This is a discussion on Will they ever take our guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 Not a madder of will they but when and how. I think I know this guy! Hey Smitty! I hope you ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Will they ever take our guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Not a madder of will they but when and how.
    I think I know this guy! Hey Smitty!

I hope you are wrong on this one. Do believe our current President will try but I am holding out hope that the American people won't let him be successful.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Wow. Reading these posts is kind of scary. If everyone here can think up ways to confiscate or tax firearms, I can only wonder what the Feds must be dreaming up. I'm not sanguine about Americans standing up for their rights if push comes to shove. Look how fast the Patriot Act was passed. If the government can scare people into giving up their rights that fast, all I can foresee is that owning weapons will eventually become an underground/criminal activity like drugs. Citizens ratting out other citizens, police raids in the middle of the night, etc. And I don't think it would be hard for the Feds to look up likely gun owners. Aside from the paperwork trail with new purchases and hunting license information, all they have to do is read forums like this. We have pretty much all stated what we own and who we are. Here's an Orwellian thought: the next census question will be "Do you own any firearms? If you answered yes to the last question, please complete the list on page 4."

Whose is "THEY".......? The politicians you elected to office........Vote them out next election.

Quote Originally Posted by HillyBilly View Post
    What kind of person posts a question like that on a forum like this & then tells you what kind of answers are allowed???
    This is the best question in the forum thus far.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Buy what you can and will while you can, if Obama, Hillary, and the UN have it there way there will be no more guns. I even find myself looking at guns i thought i would never have a use for. 20" Tactical .308's sure are looking really good about now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Whose is "THEY".......? The politicians you elected to office........Vote them out next election.
    I didn't vote for this guy the first time and I didn't vote for him the second time.

I am much too intelligent of a person to vote for that man or anyone who supports him or his policies.
    StarPD45, GunGeezer and akav8er like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Well, they can come for my guns anytime they want, but unfortunately they were all lost during an unusual plane accident last week. You see I had loaded all my guns into my plane and was on my way to turn them in as directed, but as I was banking out over the ocean suddenly the door came open and they all fell out. Unfortunately they all landed on some poor guys boats and it sank. I later heard the boat was owned by a law abiding citizen who was on their way to turn their guns in and all their guns were lost also. If that was anyone on the forum I'm really sorry. I've got a much better lock on the door now.

Oh, "yes officer, one gun survived the accident, it's this old rusty Jennings. Did you want it?"

:) :)

VIP Member
    I'll bet the government is going ban the transfer of all firearms, ammunition, and anything gun related that occur posthumously through wills and estate transfers. I anticipate that a violation of this type of transfer will be a felony charge. I also think the government is going to impose a heavy tax on the legal private transfers of all firearms, ammunition, and anything gun related regardless of whether or not the items are purchased or simply a transfer of ownership without purchasing (gifts).
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    I'm curious as to how a nationwide government-mandated handgun confiscation would work if it actually happened (I put the chances at less than .001%). Let's think about this:

Would police officers or military personnel go door-to-door and simply ask citizens to hand over their guns? Or would they search homes instead? Would they need a warrant for that? Would they use force to enter homes believed to house handguns if citizens resisted?

Would citizens be mandated to turn in their handguns themselves to local police departments? Would they be compensated at all for the price of the firearm? What would happen to the guns? Would they be melted down or would the police and/or military use them? What about ammunition?

Would there be a deadline? Would there be enough personnel to sweep the entire country for handguns in, say, less than five years? Less than one year?

As stated earlier, would police officers and/or military personnel, or whomever is sent to collect guns, actually follow through on those orders? Would citizens fight or shoot at them to keep their firearms? Would the government be willing to risk death and violence just to ultimately curtail death and violence by confiscating guns (devil's advocate question)?

Would the government be prepared for rioting and demonstrations that would almost assuredly occur? The vitriolic backlash would probably turn violent in a hurry.

So many questions bubble up when this idea is entertained. I can't envision any way that "they" take the guns that people currently own. New legislation restricting sales and access of firearms and ammunition? That could be a different story.
    Remember the aftermath of hurricane Katrina and the gun confiscations in LA. Never underestimate the power of a politician using other people to do their dirty-work!

Lot of references to England. This aint England. Short answer is nope.

I am hoping to educate the ignorant. I vote and write my politicians accordingly, but I think one of the most useful things I can do is educate others. Had the opportunity to take 3 newbs out to the range the other day and they had a great time. One was a 9 year old kid. He and his dad are more now on are side, but I fear that unless more of this happens we will eventually get to the point we fear. We are a young country, founded on principals that were very opposed to previous European ways, but it does seem as if the politicians and media, and anti voters are trying to get us there.

Our cause is not lost, but it needs to be nurtured and those who are ignorant need to be educated.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The biggest problem we have is the age of the conservative justices on the Supreme Court. I doubt very much if they will all make it for another 4 years. If Obama gets to replace even one of them, the court will allow him to take away about anything he wants as long as he leaves us with 4" barrel .38SP revolvers. To take them all away would require a constitutional amendment, but to take most of them away only requires one conservative justice replaced by a liberal one. He only appoints young liberals. The cases that are on the way to the court now may arrive with 5 or 6 liberal justices instead of todays 5 to 4 conservative majority. If they do, trust me on this, we will not like the ruling.

The packed court is his legacy. It's why I felt like throwing up when I realized he'd won the election.

Fitch
    akav8er likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Gun Control is a multi-faceted thing happening on various assorted fronts. Beginning during the very early school years right up into college. Then also the mainstream media has their grubby incessant little fingers into it. Then there is the complete wimpifacation of childrens books etc. & the editing and selective teaching of our historical past & the complete neglect of the Constitution.
    It's a long list. The planting of the seed that firearms are inherently evil and that it is far more dangerous to have one than to not have one alsp plays a part.

Eventually unless we all take new, young, fresh people shooting...firearms will eventually just be Grandfathered out due to apathy and constant demon-ization.
    There's a great deal of truth in this comment. Most politicians are smart enough (ok, cunning enough to constantly think 'reelection') to know that a door to door confiscation would be neigh on impossible to implement and would ultimately fail... But they also know the way to defeat anything is from the inside. They get elected or hired into positions of power and begin indoctrinating our children that guns are to blame for gun crimes, then continue that education through our kids academic careers along with PETA that screams that hunting game is cruel and brutal, then continue and finalize their education by telling college kids that 911 and uniformed officers are the answer to any possible threat and through enacting piecemeal legislation banning certain guns, ammunition, magazines, etc. Over the course of a generation, those without a proper introduction and relationship with firearms begin to see them as antiquated and unnecessary. Pretty soon gun ownership diminishes to the point where only criminals and a handful of us have them left.

Unless we remain diligent to these frontal and back door assaults to our right to bear arms, those rights will cease to exist, even if it's a generation or two in the making.

VIP Member
    The ill-informed in this country are multiplying at an alarming rate.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    With all the attention the media gives to the gun and not so much the shooter in today's tragic and heartbreaking stories like the one this week of the elementary school massacre, do you think the government will eventually outlaw handguns, rifles, guns of any kind? I am asking for honest thoughtful responses. Please, no "....from my cold dead hand" bravado. I have my thoughts but I want to see what my peers have to say on the matter.
    I see a lot of doomsday answer on the 2A...

I sure hope our government has learned from their past attempts in restricting the rights of law abiding citizens. I must say I am afraid of what they may do... But I am also hopeful that our elected officials are sensible people who want to be re-elected and will not succumb to the media and the anti-gun movement... I saw one letter from an official posted.. We all need to contact our state officials and our government officials and create pressure from our side so they don't go and do some stupid thing.

I don't know what new law they will implement... I hope it is one that will address the problem and not one that will just make some feel better. I do believe that by all of us creating pressure on them to do the right thing, we might be able to diminish the effect on our rights.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links