another thought on not carrying chambered-young children

This is a discussion on another thought on not carrying chambered-young children within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, certainly, I am very new to this and am prepared to hear a slew of criticism for being new and for my questioning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: another thought on not carrying chambered-young children

Hello everyone,
    certainly, I am very new to this and am prepared to hear a slew of criticism for being new and for my questioning of carrying chambered. I have heard and read the advice regarding carrying chambered and agree with the logic of that. Yes, it is a mental barrier for some regarding having confidence in their weapon. However, being a father of 3 young children, I have another reason why I am not ready to carry chambered.

To me, it is one more protection step/factor in the horrible and unlikely event that one of my children handles my gun. They are not old enough or strong enough to rack the slide at this point and I just feel like it's not worth the risk. I understand that drawing the gun and then racking the slide is not ideal, but then again, I can never undo a tragedy of an accidental discharge if my children got a hold of the gun.

In all honesty, I just wanted to suggest this rational to support some who do not carry chambered. There seems to be some occasional negative feedback towards those who do not carry chambered. Perhaps this could offer another reason for those who do not?

2. Remove Ads

Chambered or unchambered is your choice. A more valid concern is why your pistol would be unsecured and available for one of your kids to access it?
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

You won't hear a slew of criticism. If you are not ready to carry chambered then that's your decision. You are the only one that can evaluate the risks that you have at your home. Not everyone has the same situation and level of experience. You're doing fine, carry on and stay safe!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

sioux565 and pittypat21 like this.

I've got 5 kids. My gun is only EVER in two places - in the holster in my hip or locked in the safe. That's it. EVER.

Not being able to rack the slide is IMO a false security. I never get complacent with my gun - even if the kids are at grandma's for a week I never set it down on a table or counter, I figure that breeds bad habits. Safe, holster - that's it. I clean it in a room alone then it goes back to safe or holster.

I don't fault anyone for carrying how they feel comfortable doing so. However, for me, if I need my gun RIGHT NOW I want it ready to go bang RIGHT NOW! Personally, I carry one in the chamber.
    First Sgt, GlassWolf, CJM and 8 others like this.

I've had my ccw for 14 years and I've been carrying chambered without worry the whole time... until I had a kid. She's old enough to get into anything but not old enough to know not to touch. Yes I know... why would she ever get ahold of one of my guns? She wouldn't. Not in a million years do I leave one of my guns unattended. But stuff happens, and heaven forbid she did... at least there wouldn't be one in the chamber. (bio vault safes aren't tamper proof... I bet with enough time most 4-5 year olds could get into one)

I agree that the gun should always be in my control and possession at all times. i also agree that there is such a thing as false security. I'm just thinking of a rare scenario, something like, what if I passed out with my gun in my holster and the kids found it, etc, etc. However, I would also like to emphasize that knowledge is security as well and I am constantly talking with them, educating them, and quizzing them on gun safety, etc. I even make my son carry all toy guns pointed down and his finger off the trigger for basic gun and "range" safety. I just don't trust their "word" that they would never touch the gun. Thank you for the input and support so far, I was just hesitant to post because some people seem to get worked up on these sites-not trying to offend anyone, I just have posted on some other sites before and kind of felt un-welcomed being a newcomer with little knowledge. I was left with the feeling that I shouldn't even say anything. Anyway, I'd love to hear more thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I've got 5 kids. My gun is only EVER in two places - in the holster in my hip or locked in the safe. That's it. EVER.
    ^^^^ Here is THE point of contention, regardless of whether you carry chambered or not. I have 2 kids and carry in a proper holster with trigger covered and chambered, at home and everywhere else. When it is not on my person, it is in the big safe or my small one in my closet. Or with a gunlock on it. To me, this is basic responsible gun ownership. Secure your weapons.
    BkCo1 and Yetiman like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think that if a gun is in a nightstand, or under a bed, it is safest in an unchambered condition... If it is on your hip, in a holster, then why not have one chambered?

If you have kids and no place to lock it up then you unload it and keep ammo and gun in seperate locations. That is how I did it with my kids.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I agree about gun storage, it is either in my safe locked up or on my person, but I'm referring to the unlikely event that I pass out, and the kids find my gun, and pull it out, and squeeze the trigger. maybe i'm over thinking the scenario but it's just that you can't take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggyG View Post
    I agree about gun storage, it is either in my safe locked up or on my person, but I'm referring to the unlikely event that I pass out, and the kids find my gun, and pull it out, and squeeze the trigger. maybe i'm over thinking the scenario but it's just that you can't take it back.
    I hear what you're saying - and I'll be honest the thought never crossed my mind. I think my kids would be more concerned with "waking" me than going for my gun. Maybe I'm making an assumption, I don't know. My kids are a bit older now - 14 down to 5. I'm in good health and passing out has never been a thought. Maybe a locking holster?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggyG View Post
    I agree that the gun should always be in my control and possession at all times. i also agree that there is such a thing as false security. I'm just thinking of a rare scenario, something like, what if I passed out with my gun in my holster and the kids found it, etc, etc. However, I would also like to emphasize that knowledge is security as well and I am constantly talking with them, educating them, and quizzing them on gun safety, etc. I even make my son carry all toy guns pointed down and his finger off the trigger for basic gun and "range" safety. I just don't trust their "word" that they would never touch the gun. Thank you for the input and support so far, I was just hesitant to post because some people seem to get worked up on these sites-not trying to offend anyone, I just have posted on some other sites before and kind of felt un-welcomed being a newcomer with little knowledge. I was left with the feeling that I shouldn't even say anything. Anyway, I'd love to hear more thoughts.
    I think you'll find supportive help at this site. The chambered vs. un-chambered debate can be heated one. I will say I feel there is no right answer to this question. Different circumstances may make one condition more desirable, and many have already offered sound reason behind carrying chambered. I have 3 children myself (one toddler, and two school-aged autistic boys). Like Lish, I carry chambered, holstered on my body, at all times. I have the same child safety concerns, and I have weighed the pros and cons. It makes sense to me that the safest place for my gun is on my person when I'm at home, and the safest condition for it is with a chambered round. My husband, however, does not have the ability to carry at work, so he has decided to carry unchambered. His reasoning is that he handles his firearm much more than I (safe to holster, holster to car safe, car safe to holster, holster to home safe). Same family concerns, two different people, hence two different decisions on balancing child safety with defensive readiness.

The fact that you've considered the "what-if" scenarios shows that you're aware of the deeper responsibility involved with carrying firearms. Good for you. If you are concerned about a child somehow unholstering your gun, have you thought about perhaps using a holster with some type of active retention? A leather thumb-break style, or the Kydex holsters with a locking system (Blackhawk and Safariland brands are popular) are types of holsters often used by those who need more firearm retention.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Whether you carry one in the pipe is your own choice. You should not worry about carrying around your children because you should always know where your firearm is! I live with my dad and we both carry, but you will never see a gun laying around in our house. It is either on us or in the safe.

When carrying your gun un-chambered think about this... Carrying your gun un-chambered and thinking that you have enough time to rack the slide in a critical situation is like driving without your seat belt on and thinking you can buckle up before you get into an accident. To sum that up: Buckle up and carry one in the pipe!

I've only known one person who had to use a firearm for self defense, granted it was an extreme case after a major hurricane. But in that case, the BG's didn't give any warning. No sauntering up, nothing verbal. They pulled up in a van, jumped out and immedietly opened fire. My mil hit the ground and my fil, while on the move, pulled his weapon and fired back. He hit one BG, the rest got back in the van and took off. Like I said an extreme situation. But would he have had time to rack the slide? That has factored in my decision.

I was beat up by a customer at my job when I was a teenager. Had I been able to carry at that age would I have pulled on the woman giving me a beat down? No, even now, I can't say that I would. (LOL now I'd have the prescense of mind to jump the counter and RUN! I was naive enough not to realize what was coming until her first punch landed) But I'll never forget her BIG boyfriend yelling "GET HER BABE!" and the last thing I saw was him starting to come behind the counter too with his fist raised. THAT was fear for my life - a BIG DUDE starting my way while I'm already taking a beating, me being about 115 lbs, him at least twice that. Thank goodness someone heard my screams and came running - BIG DUDE stopped in his tracks and he and the woman took off - but would I have been able to rack the slide if I could've gotten to my weapon if I had one then?

I've been in a few spots over the years - learned many lessons along the way. The beating I took above wan't even the worst I've been through. Maybe it's a different mindset for a woman, especially a smaller one - I know I'm no match for a man of any size - y'all are stronger than me any day of the week.

Again, I don't think you're wrong in your decision nor am I telling you what to do. Just trying to explain why I made the decision I did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links