Clue in a younger board member

This is a discussion on Clue in a younger board member within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was thinking today (dont worry, I didnt hurt myself). Im 26, and although I was busy shooting .22's with my dad. I was ...

Thread: Clue in a younger board member

Clue in a younger board member

So I was thinking today (dont worry, I didnt hurt myself).

Im 26, and although I was busy shooting .22's with my dad. I was too young to be clued into the political climate back in 1994 when the first assault weapons ban was passed.

How did things compare to today? Was there strong bipartisan support for the ban? Was there massive public outcry from the firearms industry/owners?

I guess what I want to know is, do we stand a better chance today, than we did some 2 decades ago? Is the public more informed about firearms today?
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The only reason we may stand a better chance today is that those who voted in the 94 ban were largely voted out of office at the next election - not all, but a good many. Congress still remembers this and, although there is a desire to stop school shootings, etc. there are still a lot of gun owners who will be severely irritated if their Constitutionally guaranteed rights - in some cases at both the State and Federal level - are removed or severely restricted.

I would not be surprised to see an EO adding certain classes of weapons - broad classes - added to the list where machine guns and silencers reside. Whether this will require a retro permit, revocation or simply a no new sales ban is not clear, but I expect congress to be end run on this one.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Write your elected officials. Remind them they work for us the voting public.

StarPD45
    The nice thing about private sales, in the free states that allow them, is the fact that "guvmint" can't confiscate what they don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    I was too young to be clued into the political climate back in 1994 when the first assault weapons ban was passed.

How did things compare to today?
    A good place to start ...

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A good place to start ...

Thanks for digging up those links, im well versed in the legal side of what went down in 94, im more curious as to what the political climate was like, similar to today? Worse? Did we have a republican majority in either house of congress?
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    In the aftermath of the CT school shooting, the climate for guns are in much worse shape. What things will be like in a month, when new bills are introduced, it is hard to say, but I don't look for it to be much better.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The country seems more polarized than ever to me (and I've been around a while). Now we have one side embolden from their recent victory and this gets thrown on the fire. Things will be heating up rather quickly I imagine but of course I don't have a crystal ball
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

With the current Speaker of the House and the R's not having a majority in the Senate, I'd say look for very rough sailing in the near future. The Speaker is already started to cave to the POTUS and he will surely roll over for anything POTUS want's gun control wise. I could even see a scenario where POTUS backs off the fiscal cliff stuff in return for the Speakers support on stricter gun control items.

My $.02
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

Links