Obama's speech

This is a discussion on Obama's speech within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ogien My friend, I will do everything in my power to protect your rights and the rights of every American. I'm trying ...

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: Obama's speech

Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    My friend, I will do everything in my power to protect your rights and the rights of every American. I'm trying to protect your rights by finding the "pill" that is least "bitter" before it is chosen for us. I don't want to swallow the bitter pill but we are in a position to decide which medicine we end up taking but before too long it will be out of our hands and the medicine will be poured down our throats. This scares me.
    Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Remember that one. Yes this is a tragedy, but no to any restrictions on guns. One drunk guy runs over a kid and we don't close all bars and ban all forms of alcohol and prohibit driving do we? This is about one person who was evil and not about the millions of others who go about their daily lives and live as upstanding citizens while carrying or owning a firearm. Taking away my right to buy an AR wouldn't prevent someone from loading up a handgun with 20 rounds or more. Limiting magazines won't prevent someone from carrying 5 magazines. Taking away all gun rights doesn't prevent someone from lighting pipe bombs next to the gas vents, or chopping people up with an axe. Evil is evil and it's been around since before you or I.
    1MoreGoodGuy and atctimmy like this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Progressives have a new counting system: One, three, four, five...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Why? Would your world really and truly come to an end if you couldn't have a 30 round magazine but could have
    15?

Would your world come to an end if the gun stores didn't sell rifles decked out to look like battle rifles but
    which functioned the same way--- so at least a few of the crazies wouldn't have something visually feeding their
    psychosis?

<snip for brevity>

Yes, gun control doesn't work very well, but we have gone over the top in a few areas.

I know a 2nd grade teacher. She is spending today learning emergency drills. [sarcasm] How wonderful
    for our kids [/sarcasm] I can't use the language I would like to at this point.
    Hopyard, I don't disagree with the points you make. But it seems that the "conservatives" are the ones that compromise. When was the last time one of the four liberal justices came over to the conservative side for a controversial S. Ct. decision? Or when was the last time the spending cuts came into effect after the conservatives agreed to tax hikes? At present our government has compromised itself into two parties - one is wasteful of taxpayer dollars, and the other is extremely wasteful of taxpayer dollars.

The argument you present is persuasive (to me) only absent the history of compromise, or lack thereof, from the liberal side. And I must hand it to the democrats - they believe in their cause to such a degree that they stick to their guns (pardon the pun) while the conservatives tend to compromise. The conservative calculus on compromise is one of reciprocation - but it's not happening. Harry Reid is attempting to change the filibuster rules - so much for the "Gang of 14" compromise back in 2005 or so.

I would be willing to compromise if I could rely on fair dealing - but I cannot.

As I heard,compromise makes neither party happy,just agreeable
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    As I heard,compromise makes neither party happy,just agreeable
    I went to a negotiating training session back in the day when I worked in customer service. I'll always remember their reiteration of the term, "negotiation". Negotiating is neither party getting what they want. They went on to say that you might as well put your effort in getting what you want.

If you feel helpless than go out and buy your semi autos while you can. It's not the end of the world but the awakening of the Sleeping Law Abiding American Citizen. Write your Congressman/Senators concerning any Anti gun legislation. Make your voice heard...

Those who support magazine capacity reduction laws can you assure me that i will not be faced with four or more assailants breaking into my house? The home invaders in this video ran but what if they chose to stand and fight? If four heavily armed thugs come breaking into your home how many rounds will make you feel secure? My own answer is the highest number i can bring to bare. I want as much protection and firepower i can deliever back to thugs who care nothing about another persons life. And that is just one aspect of our 2nd Amendment rights, the right of self-defense.Look at England they started out slow-ish with gun laws.Until now all guns old and new one shot, two shot ,twenty shot, every shot are banned. once you chip away at a right we all know by history what happens. If we don't stand firm in our support and defense of our Constitution we will lose it's protections.

Armed Homeowner Shoots Robbers During Daytime Invasion (AZ) - YouTube

Let's take a look at how the Anti-gun people want to solve the problem After School Shooting, Anti-Gun Advocates Want NRA President, Members to Be Shot | TheBlaze.com
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

OD* likes this.

A sobering reminder thank you for the post.

Excellent and well said.Thank you for your post.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Let's take a look at how the Anti-gun people want to solve the problem After School Shooting, Anti-Gun Advocates Want NRA President, Members to Be Shot | TheBlaze.com
    That is just internet denizens sounding off, stupidly. I don't think that rhetoric represents the views or methods of the organized
    anti-gun advocates who are truly in positions to harm the rights of gun owners.

We get our share of stupid stuff posted here, as do all open forums and discussion forums.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    My friend, I will do everything in my power to protect your rights and the rights of every American. I'm trying to protect your rights by finding the "pill" that is least "bitter" before it is chosen for us. I don't want to swallow the bitter pill but we are in a position to decide which medicine we end up taking but before too long it will be out of our hands and the medicine will be poured down our throats. This scares me.
    Wow. You REALLY don't get it.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    That is just internet denizens sounding off, stupidly. I don't think that rhetoric represents the views or methods of the organized
    anti-gun advocates who are truly in positions to harm the rights of gun owners.

We get our share of stupid stuff posted here, as do all open forums and discussion forums.
    "stupid stuff", says the guy posting on a gun forum, that we should give up our magazine capacity.
    atctimmy and Bark'n like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    "stupid stuff", says the guy posting on a gun forum, that we should give up our magazine capacity.
    Yup, because if we don't accede to this we will get far far far worse.
    Earlier someone suggested trading capacity for national reciprocity. IMO, deal.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Links