Obama's speech - Page 17

Obama's speech

This is a discussion on Obama's speech within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Loyalty to the country.. always. Loyalty to the government.. when it deserves it" -Mark Twain-...

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree373Likes

Thread: Obama's speech

"Loyalty to the country.. always. Loyalty to the government.. when it deserves it" -Mark Twain-
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Having read the majority of posts I have a couple of points to make.
    If the principal had a weapon a) she might have killed the shooter. B) he might have run away. C) she could have delayed his progress for a few minutes and saved some lives. D) she could have been killed without immediately and the same scenario played out.
    Guards at schools. 1 National guard troop in full battle gear posted in prominent places. Deterrent level very high. Confidence level of attendees high.
    Eliminate gun free zones that are not secured by armed guards.
    Just a couple of thoughts imo.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Obama is having another speach this morning at 11:45am lets not miss this , what will he say or add ? We shall see... Eddie.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    You don't have a clue what the problem is that patriots addressed in founding this country, "a Republic, if we can keep it." The problem isn't practicality but tyranny and extreme lunacy. I hear you crying for a self-defiling political solution that does nothing to address the problem.
    I hear you egging on Congress and the Supremes to draconian solutions by an unwillingness to think clearly about how
    to prevent mass murder. Patriotism has nothing to do with solving the problem. Practical realistic steps are what are needed.

Just read all the posts here from all the folks worrying about being caught up in a mall shooting and you know we have a serious
    problem which needs a resolution. Hiding behind a false view of reality and calling it patriotism will accomplish nothing.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Having read the majority of posts I have a couple of points to make.
    If the principal had a weapon a) she might have killed the shooter. B) he might have run away. C) she could have delayed his progress for a few minutes and saved some lives. D) she could have been killed without immediately and the same scenario played out.
    Guards at schools. 1 National guard troop in full battle gear posted in prominent places. Deterrent level very high. Confidence level of attendees high.
    Eliminate gun free zones that are not secured by armed guards.
    Just a couple of thoughts imo.
    Our country lacks the funds to put guards at every school, let alone multiple guards which likely would be needed to be
    truly effective against a determined nut.

Our teachers are for the most part young men and women with little interest in becoming armed security officers for their school.

Those are just two basic facts that need to be considered when talking about solutions, because neither would actually
    be something that could be accomplished. Particularly, you will find few women who teach elementary school willing to
    take on such a role. Heck, even in the airline industry relatively few pilots actually applied to take the training necessary
    to keep a gun in the cockpit.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Here is one of the first things I read this morning:

WASHINGTON – President Obama will tap Vice President Biden to lead an administration-wide effort looking at gun control and other measures in the wake of the Connecticut school shooting last week.
    Read more: Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting | Fox News

Obama taps Biden to craft new policies to curb gun violence in wake of shooting | Fox News
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Obama is having another speach this morning at 11:45am lets not miss this , what will he say or add ? We shall see... Eddie.
    I have a personal rule that I live by. I do my best to never see him or hear his voice. I'll read the text later.

It's less about what he will say than what he really intends.

In my view it's a mistake to assume that we have a benevolent government that only desires to protect it's citizens. We've already heard them freely admit that they intend to manipulate this tragedy into some additional denial of our liberty. They are delighted to have this incident dropped into their lap like a gift that may be used to further a long held agenda to end gun ownership by the American citizen. Guns make them uncomfortable because guns are seen as a check to their hold on power. We've endured 30+ years of hearing them squawk such propaganda as: "an assault rifle isn't needed for deer hunting," a sure indication that they know full well why the Second Amendment was placed into the Constitution.

This latest effort to curtail our rights is less about protecting us from ourselves than it is about mitigating their risks as they grab for more power over us.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Our country lacks the funds to put guards at every school, let alone multiple guards which likely would be needed to be

Our teachers are for the most part young men and women with little interest in becoming armed security officers for their school.

Those are just two basic facts that need to be considered when talking about solutions, because neither would actually
    be something that could be accomplished.
    Particularly, you will find few women who teach elementary school willing to
    take on such a role. Heck, even in the airline industry relatively few pilots actually applied to take the training necessary

Well let's just give up then! It's hopeless and we're lost. We can't do it. It's too hard. We lack funds. There's little interest. Few are willing. It can't be accomplished.

You live in a different part of Texas than I do, Hopyard. In my retirement I occasionally sub at the local high school and junior high and I've held some conversations with those folks since Friday. There are a host of staff members "chomping at the bit" to be a part of accomplishing something to protect both the students and themselves. For the most part it's young men and women who wish to take the initiative. Let's help them by leaning on our representatives, both state and federal to give them the option to make a difference in America's domestic security.

It's easier to "be a wet blanket" though, isn't it?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Our country does not lack funds, for the cost of one less F-35 fighter ($304.15 million) we could more than likely place a armed guard or arm and train one faculty member in every school in America.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Well let's just give up then! It's hopeless and we're lost. We can't do it. It's too hard. We lack funds. There's little interest. Few are willing. It can't be accomplished.

You live in a different part of Texas than I do, Hopyard. In my retirement I occasionally sub at the local high school and junior high and I've held some conversations with those folks since Friday. There are a host of staff members "chomping at the bit" to be a part of accomplishing something to protect both the students and themselves. For the most part it's young men and women who wish to take the initiative. Let's help them by leaning on our representatives, both state and federal to give them the option to make a difference in America's domestic security.

It's easier to "be a wet blanket" though, isn't it?
    It isn't hopeless and it isn't lost, but the suggestion of arming the elementary school teachers I've known, the elementary school principals I've know, and most of the other teachers I've known, is not one that will work. Nor, should it be necessary.

Let's look at ways to make it not necessary so we don't hear a mid-day news story about a shootout at the school cafeteria in which some or all of the injuries came from panic driven defenders inadequately trained for the task.

For crying out loud, how many threads and posts do we have on our board talking about how just owning a gun or just having a CHL is insufficient; that additional training is important. Do you really think you can take that 23 year old young woman teaching 2nd grade and get her additional training without all manner of additional problems cropping up? Let's see-- liability, collateral damage, accidents, a teacher or principal gone bad. Plus, dealing with the mass murder issue from the perspective of a school shooting omits the numerous incidents which occurred away from the classroom.
    Andrew Jackson

be something that could be accomplished.
    While the statement may be statistically accurate, the conclusion is not. We don't need all the teachers, just a few. We don't need to tell the bad guys who or how many. It's called a deterrent. Then the bad guy can find another gun free zone.

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.
    Laurence J Peter

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Our country does not lack funds, for the cost of one less F-35 fighter ($304.15 million) we could more than likely place a armed guard or arm and train one faculty member in every school in America.
    304 million would not come anywhere near paying for the number of guards needed, or for their training. And besides,
    do you really want Homeland Security to get into this game? That is where it will be headed.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member

be something that could be accomplished. Particularly, you will find few women who teach elementary school willing to
    Durning the infancy of the US space program John F. Kennedy said this in an address to Congress on May 25, 1961 John F. Kennedy "Landing a man on the Moon" Address to Congress - May 25, 1961 - YouTube

Then on September 12, 1962 he gave this speech at Rice University Video: 50 Years Since Kennedy's 1962 Moon Speech | Wired Science | Wired.com

John F. Kennedy set a goal for this country to achieve a certain task in a specific time frame and asked Congress to come up with a way to fund the program. If we were able to figure out a way to find enough funds to put a man on the moon and develop the technology to accomplish that goal, then we most certainly can do the same to protect our children while they are at school.
    HotGuns likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    I'll post this again...(I've lost count now)

Here are a few ideas we should try first:

Build safe rooms in schools.

Install better doors in the classrooms.

Install impenetrable quarantine doors/gates that can be activated during an active shooter emergency.

There are probably a few more things we could add to this list if we all take a moment to THINK of solutions instead of infringements.

Here are a few more:

Install better exterior doors and window that are bullet proof.

Have a single entry point with two sets of remotely controlled locking doors which creates a secure vestibule.

Access control systems on all doors.

Come on people, let's also start talking about this and ideas like this^^^^^^^^^^
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Arming teachers today is a scary thought, its like arming correction officers with guns while working among prisoners,bad idea to say the least... Students today are nothing like yesturdays. With that said, it is best of interest for everyone to hire 4 undercover highly trained leos for each shool to prevent or reducing this catastrofy from happening again.. Its way out of control and this act needs to be controled now without a doubt... Disarming us citizen will give the bad guy an upper hand on the situation !! Bad guys will always have access to guns,drugs,ammo, etc... Taking away the 2 amendment from us law abiding citizen will put us in harms way not the bad guys they dont abide any laws period(fact)... Eddie.

Sponsored Links