Obama's speech

This is a discussion on Obama's speech within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That part of the day when a coworker you respect immensely and have known since college calls you a ******* (dumbbutt) because you don't agree ...

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: Obama's speech

That part of the day when a coworker you respect immensely and have known since college calls you a ******* (dumbbutt) because you don't agree with his anti-2A rhetoric.

Sigh.

2. Remove Ads

Might be time for some of those militias 2A speaks of to answer the call to arms.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

I stated 2 years ago, he would get re-elected. The resaons he was re-elected have nothing to do with 2A. Infact it has little to do with all the other hot button issues.

I also stated nothing would happen concerning 2A until after the mid-term elections of his 2nd term, unless something newsworthy happened to galvanize anti-2A, most of all a government official who is injured or who's family is injured and is made a martyr (I'm not talking badly about a victim of a crime, just how they will be used).

If something is pushed through in January, the issues on the table will be gunshows (greatest jeopardy).

#2 will be "high capacity" (extended) magazines. The 20+ round pistol mags (like the 33 round Glock mag used in the congresswoman's shooting) have the needed martyrs to the cause. It is genuinely sad what happened to these victims, and however flawed the logic, it will support potential bans on extended pistol mags. I don't know how safe 10+ round magizines (what some term factory 17-20 range mags) are. I don't think they will be banned.

#3 all semi-auto rifles that were banned under 1994 bill could soon be banned. More likely mags will be banned, but not the firearms.

Wild card: Aggressive background checks and waiting periods.

I'm not stating any of these will actually happen. I don't think they have the support or political will on this issue, yet. I'm guessing what we will see in 2013 will be the pre-game. It will be a big issue, but will dial back prior to midterm elections, then he will become very anti-2A.

PS- I'm not saying I agree the above should be banned (they should not). The real issue is motive that causes these shoootings, and the motive is media attention. Mental health, movies, video game (especially unsupervised), and yes even the minority of gunowners that are irresponsible, are relevent topics. However motive is particularly important in killings, and media attention is the clear motive.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

IMO the screaming that is going on for gun control would be happening no matter who had won in Nov.

The results may or may not end up differently but the pressure is ON, big time. Period. Obama didnt go looking for this, we'll see if he 'capitalizes' on it. He might.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I hear you egging on Congress and the Supremes to draconian solutions by an unwillingness to think clearly about how
    to prevent mass murder. Patriotism has nothing to do with solving the problem. Practical realistic steps are what are needed.

Just read all the posts here from all the folks worrying about being caught up in a mall shooting and you know we have a serious
    problem which needs a resolution. Hiding behind a false view of reality and calling it patriotism will accomplish nothing.
    You're full of fluff. Fighting back is not "draconian". It's an American heritage that I'm not willing to abandon.
    1MoreGoodGuy and TX expat like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

If you we're the President and 26 people were killed in a elementary school and in your last term you did absolutely nothing on gun control what would you do? I've been a CCW permit for about 3 years and most of the propaganda has been how Obama was going to do away with guns and etc but it hasn't been farther from the truth. but I can't expect him to overlook the slaughter of these kids and teachers...because I want to shoot a 100 round clip with my buddies on Saturday.
    keboostman and Hopyard like this.

It's the old dilemma.

On an instinctive level, I'm honestly okay with regulations, as long as they only apply to people who're less responsible and mature as I am. Practically, that doesn't work, but instinctively, I am nervous of someone with 20 IQ points less having a gun near me.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    On an instinctive level, I'm honestly okay with regulations, as long as they only apply to people who're less responsible and mature as I am. Practically, that doesn't work, but instinctively, I am nervous of someone with 20 IQ points less having a gun near me.
    See, I have a slightly different take. I'm not really concerned with someone with 20 IQ points less than me having a gun near me because I have a gun on me.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40CalPal View Post
    If you we're the President and 26 people were killed in a elementary school and in your last term you did absolutely nothing on gun control what would you do? I've been a CCW permit for about 3 years and most of the propaganda has been how Obama was going to do away with guns and etc but it hasn't been farther from the truth. but I can't expect him to overlook the slaughter of these kids and teachers...because I want to shoot a 100 round clip with my buddies on Saturday.
    So do something just for the sake of doing something? Reducing the magazine size will not keep this from happening. You are missing the point entirely. While I agree some things need to be looked at, doing something without putting thought into it is just attempting to appease the anti's and will have no effect on these tragedies.
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Why don't they just ban murder?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Why don't they just ban murder?
    Libs don't have a problem with murder, just evil black rifles and high capacity magazines, er I mean 'clips'...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Libs don't have a problem with murder, just evil black rifles and high capacity magazines, er I mean 'clips'...
    Seriously, comments like the above help nothing. I don't think there is a person (sane at least) who is in favor of
    murder. The huge question is what (if anything at all) should or can be done about the number of incidents of murder.

We all know the answers but are unwilling to do our part.

Yup--- the alcohol industry has plenty to do with it, the video games and movies do, the failed mental health
    system we have is part of the mix, but it is naive to think that wide spread ready availability of guns, and in particular
    certain types, has nothing whatsoever to do with the problem.

That's like denying that your local tavern or liquor store has no affect at all on the rate of DWI deaths.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Seriously, comments like the above help nothing. I don't think there is a person (sane at least) who is in favor of
    murder. The huge question is what (if anything at all) should or can be done about the number of incidents of murder.

Yup--- the alcohol industry has plenty to do with it, the video games and movies do, the failed mental health
    system we have is part of the mix, but it is naive to think that wide spread ready availability of guns, and in particular

That's like denying that your local tavern or liquor store has no affect at all on the rate of DWI deaths.
    where is personal accountability in that? Sounds like you are assigning blame on everyone and everything beside the shooter?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Obama's speech

We really do need to find a social and philosophical solution to a law of nature that should be obvious by now.

Our technology runs faster than our consciousness can keep up.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member

Ha, sure they do. They illustrate how you, excuse me, how Liberals are more concerned with their agenda than they are with the actual "problem". You won't solve any problems by trying to legislate the free will of law abiding people. Law abiding people are inherently not the problem because they are law abiding.

Guns aren't the problem. Would there be fewer gun deaths if there were no guns? Absolutely. And there are plenty of nations that have adopted that view as national law, so go live there if that appeals to you. America, however, was founded on a set of core principles that prohibit our government from taking certain rights away; the right to keep and bear arms is among them. The incredibly insightful men that created our Bill of Rights understood that in order for a truly free people to remain so, they absolutely had to retain the right to defend the rights that they drafted in the BoR. The Second Amendment is about the right to protect our way of life; it's not about restricting "certain types" of firearms because they are have the potential to be dangerous. The fact that they are dangerous is the whole point of insuring that they will not be infringed.

Once again, if the core tenets that make America unique don't appeal to you, the exit door is always open to you. Trying to change this country to fit a view that runs contrary to the very things that make us unique, is not, in my opinion, acceptable.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Links