Obama's speech - Page 4

Obama's speech

This is a discussion on Obama's speech within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, listen up. Our own government's Justice Department determined that the Clinton-era "assault weapon" ban with its limitation on high-cap mags resulted in NO measurable ...

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: Obama's speech

OK, listen up.

Our own government's Justice Department determined that the Clinton-era "assault weapon" ban with its limitation on high-cap mags resulted in NO measurable change in the crime statistics. We need to throw this in the face of every one of 535 Representatives and Senators. Blue state, red state, it doesn't matter. DO NOT let one incident of evil define a trend!

I've posted this within the past day, but I'll repeat it: We need to frame the argument in our own terms, and not wait to respond to the "antis" using their words. 2 rounds, 20 rounds, 50 rounds in a magazine is irrelevant. There are NO "one size fits all" solutions to the problem of murderous assault. In New York City, call for a pizza, call for an ambulance, call for the cops... who will arrive first? In Pinal County (AZ), over 5000 square miles are patrolled by a handful of Sheriff's deputies at night... I asked a deputy what the worst-case response time was, and he said "45 minutes at 100 miles an hour." Is that reassuring?

The issue is NOT about guns... it is about EVIL. Look how much good "gun free zones" did us. Did that protect the staff and students at Sandy Hook Elementary School?

This is not the time for simple-minded, Carolyn McCarthy-like feel-good solutions to ban this and ban that. And per glockman10mm's post earlier today, stop whining and posting here, TAKE ACTION and make contact with BOTH your Senators and your Representative. It's OK to email them, but a written letter carries more weight, and back it up with a telephone call. LET THEM KNOW WHERE YOU STAND!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    All the bans and restrictions won't solve a thing. Those only apply to law abiding people. The criminals and crazies won't pay them any heed.
    Very true - but one cannot bring logic into someone else's fantasy. We can write our elected officials and hope we reach someone with reason. DO NOT look to Boner to stand up. If Boner does anything, he'll cry on national TV and then cave to whatever bumnuts wants.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrebleau View Post
    Yup. Look for a full-on assault. Restrictions on mag capacity, ban on any semi-autos, registration, mental health checks, you name it - we're gonna see it. And anyone who objects will be vilified as hating children.
    Oh yeah, you can count on that. That's the liberal way... Demonize, Demonize, Demonize! Along with hateful name calling. It's straight from their playbook, "Liberalism 101." Look for a copy in the Library of Congress.
    Spirit51 and The Old Anglo like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Do we even know if the kids were shot with an AR? I keep hearing people say the AR was in the car (back seat or trunk) but then I heard that guns were found inside the school but I have never heard anyone say what they were specifically shot with, etc.

Wouldn't it be something if an AR ban came about from a tragedy where an AR wasn't even used?

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION ..... there is video of them removing the gun OUT OF THE TRUNK of the car ...... and it is NOT an AR by any means .

Link to video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wLrxSgkqJQc

# 1 ---- -the kids were NOT shot with an AR ... (per the autopsies reported thus far).
    # 2 ...... the "rifle" ... was found by police "IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR ..........
    # 2 ...... one MD doing autopsies stated, most kids were shot at longer range and not close up .... only a few were shot at close range. Rather than what was also reported that he was going around finishing off kids.

CBS..... is full of it, like normal.... and don't have their facts right, and are following their agenda.... rather than accurate news and reporting.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    And all those that said the O-man, was not anti-2A .... needs to order in their crow for dinner.

We need to keep pressure on the Republican House Rep's to not cave in . That won't keep O-man from trying to use regulations thru the ATF though, which would then end up in court challenges, etc. Now is not the time to roll over. State rights, also apply.....
    32385_397000013708721_1768529226_n.png

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Do we even know if the kids were shot with an AR? I keep hearing people say the AR was in the car (back seat or trunk) but then I heard that guns were found inside the school but I have never heard anyone say what they were specifically shot with, etc.

Wouldn't it be something if an AR ban came about from a tragedy where an AR wasn't even used?
    Reports are that a Bushmaster .223 similar to the one the D.C. sniper used was the primary weapon that the shooter used to open fire on the victims and multiple shots into each. A shotgun was found in his car.
    Hopyard, shooterX and deanathpc like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post

Reports are that a Bushmaster .223 similar to the one the D.C. sniper used was the primary weapon that the shooter used to open fire on the victims and multiple shots into each. A shotgun was found in his car.
    Thanks for the clarification. I have heard them say that he had a Bushmaster but I never heard anyone say that he actually used it. I thought he might have had an AR with him but only used the pistols. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Some recent quotes:
    So, what in those quotes do you disagree with? Is doing nothing the answer? I think not. Time for folks to grasp that the Second Amendment does not sanction military-style rifles and 30 round magazines. Banning these won't solve the problem, but it will help. If there had been a ban enacted one year ago where the mother had to turn in her Bushmaster, this still may have happened, but with fewer deaths likely before the police arrived.
    Hopyard and Eldon Hickey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    OK, listen up.

Our own government's Justice Department determined that the Clinton-era "assault weapon" ban with its limitation on high-cap mags resulted in NO measurable change in the crime statistics. We need to throw this in the face of every one of 535 Representatives and Senators. Blue state, red state, it doesn't matter. DO NOT let one incident of evil define a trend!
    Smitty, do you have a source for that we can use when dealing with our Senators and Reps. I can say that in my letters, but it's best to include the actual source so they can have their pin-head staff look it up for them. Do you have a link to that report? Please post it.
    shooterX likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun;
    Thanks for the clarification. I have heard them say that he had a Bushmaster but I never heard anyone say that he actually used it. I thought he might have had an AR with him but only used the pistols. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
    Police , never said any were shot with a .223 or a Bushmaster. Bad reporting ... again. The Police stated "only" , that they knew from records that his mother had purchased a Bushmaster AR at one time, as well as owned other guns as well ( none of which were used in the shootings). They were trying to locate the Bushmaster to make sure "where it was". It was found in the home.

Autopsies reported so far , on over 1/2 of them, show "mis-reporting' on

* he was not going around finishing off kids at close range, but they were shot at a distance. "Only a very few were shot at close range" per one of the main supervising physicians of the autopsies.
    * they were shot with a handgun
    * and... none of them were shot with a .223 round.
    * and.... no AR was at the scene of the shooting.

NO GUN LAWS would have stopped this guy ........

* first, it's illegal in every state in the country for him to buy a handgun.
    * the "law" was against murder too, that didn't stop him killing his mother in order to get the guns, nor the Oregon shooter from stealing the gun from a friend.
    * and confiscation of guns, of the type that were never used nor even present in this shooting.... so the assumption they would have prevented anything is plain wrong.

Again ... China has the most restrictive prohibition on guns in the world... yet the SAME DAY ... a man killed and injured 22 students at a school in China, along with several teachers, with a KNIFE.

Again ... the LARGEST death toll from someone "attacking kids / teachers in a USA school", was in 1927 .... and he did NOT use a gun, he used explosives.

BUT .... if some teachers would have been carrying, the shooter may have been stopped in a hurry , and the number of deaths would have been much less.

You can't protect anyone from crazies, by ignoring they exist. In my grandkids schools, there are armed SO's.... NOT singular , but plural (SO's) .... in each school.
    FirstLast likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I do agree with the President that we need to do something to reduce the tragedies. However, the solutions he and I would likely embrace are diametrically opposed - I expect he will introduce more restrictions on guns, while I would allow certain professionals to be armed.

We can't stop the evil lunatics from engaging in these violent acts, but we should do all we can to enable people to stop the lunatics when they start.
    Eldon Hickey likes this.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I was at a gun show today and I too didn't know about this starting to become so serious, till now and now I may have concentrated on buying the wrong stuff, not that I wasted $$ getting what I did. Funny though, that even though there was a decent crowd, maybe not as crowded as usual, there wasn't any panic buying that I noticed. So.........

The next one is in 4-wks so it's time to re-strategize before it is too late I guess and those new woods are going to have to wait. It's going to snow soon maybe anyways. I don't think this anti poppycock could go down that fast, could it?

Time to hit up my local G store during lunch tomorrow too.

First things first. I'm going to make a contact list of my local Representatives and Senators to start letting them know if they want to count on my households vote tizz in their best interest to leave well enough alone. As previously posted above, you better start doing the same.

Any constructive suggestions in how to address these finely elected folks, in our emails and phone calls that would help us all unitedly get our point across would be welcomed by many I'm sure!

As in the words of Country Joe McDonald and the Fish: "come-on all you 2A lovin friends.....the NRA needs our help again.....cuz the anti's are tryin to poppycock our Constitution again........so peck on those keyboard keys.....and start emailing your local Representatives and Senators..........NOW"!!!!

So I ain't a poet but just start doing it EH!! & Today

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    So, what in those quotes do you disagree with? Is doing nothing the answer? I think not. Time for folks to grasp that the Second Amendment does not sanction military-style rifles and 30 round magazines. Banning these won't solve the problem, but it will help. If there had been a ban enacted one year ago where the mother had to turn in her Bushmaster, this still may have happened, but with fewer deaths likely before the police arrived.
    Well, I have to disagree here with you on several points.

Historically, there was not a great deal of difference, (hard-ware style wise), between the rifles carried by the British military and what our civilians carried/used during the time our Constitution was written.

I grew up in an era when many, many households had assualt rifles in the closets--they were surplus WWII M-1 Carbines, and M1 Garands, and we didn't need to have schools locked down.

Additionally, according the the police briefing I saw on the news today by the CT State Police, they say that the shooter had, Multiple, multiple magazines for both the Glock 10mm and the Sig 9mm. So, even if he had not had the AR, he still could have wreaked the same amount of destruction. Had he left the AR in his mom's car, he could have taken the shotgun in its place...........

He was 20 yrs old, so it was already illegal for him to have the handguns. What does it matter if you are killed by a .223, a 10mm or a 9mm????
    goldmaster likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    I don't think doing nothing is the answer, but I also know with certainty, that evil doers are always going to find a way to obtain the tools to do harm. There is no way we'll ever know what this evil person would have done, had those guns not been available to him. Criminals, terrorists, and yes, even mentally disturbed people will find a way to do whatever it is that they are obsessed with doing.

Banning tools, because someone misused them is just plain STUPID, IMHO. Again, how many people were killed last year in automobile accidents, but we don't talk about banning automobiles, probably because they happen in onesies and 2sies, versus the large number of victims in this horrific incident. Creating laws, so we'll all feel better about the sweet innocent babies that were killed that doesn't do a damn thing to stop the next nut job from doing the same thing, is just foolhardy. If we want to do something, lets talk about tax credits for gun safes, hardening the many soft targets (schools, malls, theaters, sports venues, training and arming volunteer teachers, etc).

And to think that maybe the numbers of victims could be minimized is pretty much debunked if you consider all of the deaths in China recently by an evil person with a knife. Timothy McVeigh (sp) used fertilizer to kill how many innocents? Fertilizer and diesel fuel. Yep, both still available.

Everyone needs to stand up, and get involved. Join the NRA and/or at least contribute to the legal defense fund, contact your Senators and Congressmen/Congresswomen, and make sure they know how you feel. Give them an inch, they will take the mile. Be safe.
    Pistology likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Crickets from our democrat defensive carry regulars a? Just as the Obama re-election, it does not feel very good to say "I told you so" at this moment. It's never too late people, we will take all the help we can get!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links