Obama's speech

This is a discussion on Obama's speech within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No way it will pass the House....

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: Obama's speech

No way it will pass the House.
    68blackbird likes this.
    Ruger LCP
    KelTec P11
    Ruger P89
    Taurus M380

2. Remove Ads

I said something was coming and I said it would have been far easier on us if we had come up with a solution rather than have a solution imposed upon us but I just got shouted down. Had we gotten out in front of this thing then perhaps everyone wouldn't be in a panic right now.

Fankly, it probably isn't too late just yet to appear as the source of the solution (whatever that is) rather than just being defensive and shouting about the Constitution. Either way, this won't be pretty would be nice to have some control over the proceedings at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    And all those that said the O-man, was not anti-2A .... needs to order in their crow for dinner.

We need to keep pressure on the Republican House Rep's to not cave in . That won't keep O-man from trying to use regulations thru the ATF though, which would then end up in court challenges, etc. Now is not the time to roll over. State rights, also apply.....
    I never said he wasnt anti-2A. I've written that he has not...or up to this point...taken any action regarding his personal feelings.

However, I think we're screwed now. From a public viewpoint will millions screaming....I think we're in trouble. If he's a true anti-believer he has no reason to fight popular and nearly hysterical influence.

I would prefer a stonger supporter of the Constitution. However he certainly isnt the only one with these blind spots. The last administration certainly trod all over our rights as well (Patriot Act for openers). I'm not posting that for an argument, just perspective.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Police , never said any were shot with a .223 or a Bushmaster. Bad reporting ... again. The Police stated "only" , that they knew from records that his mother had purchased a Bushmaster AR at one time, as well as owned other guns as well ( none of which were used in the shootings). They were trying to locate the Bushmaster to make sure "where it was". It was found in the home.

Autopsies reported so far , on over 1/2 of them, show "mis-reporting' on

* he was not going around finishing off kids at close range, but they were shot at a distance. "Only a very few were shot at close range" per one of the main supervising physicians of the autopsies.
    * they were shot with a handgun
    * and... none of them were shot with a .223 round.
    * and.... no AR was at the scene of the shooting.

NO GUN LAWS would have stopped this guy ........

* first, it's illegal in every state in the country for him to buy a handgun.
    * the "law" was against murder too, that didn't stop him killing his mother in order to get the guns, nor the Oregon shooter from stealing the gun from a friend.
    * and confiscation of guns, of the type that were never used nor even present in this shooting.... so the assumption they would have prevented anything is plain wrong.

Again ... China has the most restrictive prohibition on guns in the world... yet the SAME DAY ... a man killed and injured 22 students at a school in China, along with several teachers, with a KNIFE.

Again ... the LARGEST death toll from someone "attacking kids / teachers in a USA school", was in 1927 .... and he did NOT use a gun, he used explosives.

BUT .... if some teachers would have been carrying, the shooter may have been stopped in a hurry , and the number of deaths would have been much less.

You can't protect anyone from crazies, by ignoring they exist. In my grandkids schools, there are armed SO's.... NOT singular , but plural (SO's) .... in each school.
    Strangely enough China is not a restrictive country on private firearm ownership. It is third to the US and India for private gun ownership. That is a mis-conception. It ranks low on ownership per capita due the large population. Japan is listed as the most restrictive modern country. They always rant and rave about how low the murder by firearm is in Japan, but they never mention the overall crime rates or murder rate.
    Pistology and Eldon Hickey like this.

Something DOES need to be done, most all of these shooters had mental problems, they had psychologist, treating them at one time or another, the gov. should make thse DR.'s responsible for turning in these, Loons. just like the Dept. of homeland securities no fly list. if you are being treated for mental issues, You Are On The list.
    hdman97 and Eldon Hickey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Smitty, do you have a source for that we can use when dealing with our Senators and Reps. I can say that in my letters, but it's best to include the actual source so they can have their pin-head staff look it up for them. Do you have a link to that report? Please post it.
    Happy to oblige.

Although our DOJ did not itself author the study, they did fund the independent research, which is common for government agencies. Links to the same study, published by both the university and then the National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS). Note that although the author provides a standard disclaimer that the opinions are not those of the DOJ, there were no other studies published which were so funded.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/jerrylee/re...w_exec2004.pdf
    Bark'n likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I still believe that if the gun owning community came forward and said "This Sort of Thing Will Not Be Allowed If We Can Help It" followed by some self policing and perhaps installing some self imposed rules that we'd be seen as reasonable people. We would end up looking good, we'd be doing good and most importantly we wouldn't be marginalizing gun owners of every type, race and political orientation. Time is running out so we either do something or brace for rules to be imposed upon us. We have a problem and children have died. We, as a community, should really work together and come up with some ideas for what we can do to both protect the 2A as well as the rites of unarmed men, women and especially Children.

I don't know what the solution actually is but I'd really like to have a productive discussion with the rest of the community.
    Eldon Hickey likes this.

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    I still believe that if the gun owning community came forward and said "This Sort of Thing Will Not Be Allowed If We Can Help It" followed by some self policing and perhaps installing some self imposed rules that we'd be seen as reasonable people...
    No!

We have already installed a self-imposed rule: "...the right of the people, to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

I am a reasonable person and do not care one iota how these anti-2A types perceive me.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    No!

We have already installed a self-imposed rule: "...the right of the people, to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

I am a reasonable person and do not care one iota how these anti-2A types perceive me.
    Personally I'd rather be the master of my own destiny rather than having someone else making up rules that I have to follow. Self imposed rules can be temporary and don't take an act of congress to undo, the other types of rules do take the act of Congress and will hardly ever be undone.
    Eldon Hickey likes this.

I always seem to come late to these affairs but reading through the initial posts I have two words to add to the conversation: executive order. 923 and counting although the left will dispute that number... just like they do about gun legislation and everything else.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Obama's speech

As much as I fear the battle ahead on gun rights and ownership, I truly hope Congress concentrates on the biggest issue at hand: our taxes. Emotions will die down and hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I always seem to come late to these affairs but reading through the initial posts I have two words to add to the conversation: executive order. 923 and counting although the left will dispute that number... just like they do about gun legislation and everything else.
    yes he will do what he's going to do by executive order I have already heard that is his intention

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Look, she made two thing clear in her statements-- "going forward," and a list of more than 900 weapons which would
    be exempted from the restrictions she will propose (whatever those are). That doesn't sound draconian to me.

I'll know more about how I feel about the proposal when I see the actual list. It will all depend on whether my ox is getting gored or someone else's ox is being gored. :)
    Wow - Hop, I thought you were a student of history. I can't believe that you said that. Remember, by the time your ox is getting gored, it may be the last ox and no other oxes will be around to stand up for you...
    phreddy likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Funny how politicians are protected by armed secret service agents, because they know the risks. Where are my armed secret service agents? Oh yea, I dont have any. Glad i got my CCW when i did. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

They won't be able to ban firearms... but he would love to limit us to bolt actions , bumps & revolvers.
    deadguy likes this.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Links