Got to see a M&P Shield today

This is a discussion on Got to see a M&P Shield today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was waiting for my paperwork on my rifle purchase and the lady behind me was picking up her husband's Christmas present - M&P 40 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 9MMare

Thread: Got to see a M&P Shield today

Got to see a M&P Shield today

I was waiting for my paperwork on my rifle purchase and the lady behind me was picking up her husband's Christmas present - M&P 40 Shield. I asked the salesmen I was working with if they had one I could look at and he said one came in on special order, but before he could get back to grab it the lady had hers out and handed it to me. Cool!

I have to say it feels a lot "less" than my 40 compact. The slim design is different. I don't know that I really like it though. My compact 40 kicks, I would imagine the Shield 40 would be even more so.

Have any of you shot the 40 Shield? How would you compare that to a larger M&P compact or full-size 40?

I ended up ordering a Supertuck holster and belt combo for my 40 compact. I will see how that works for a while before I go getting another carry gun. If I end up with another gun it will probably be a 9mm, the Shield might be really worth a look (and maybe by then stores will stock them).

2. Remove Ads

Do you really think there is an appreciable and noticable difference in performance between .40 cal and 9mm using the proper quality ammo?

I don't. I used a .40 cal Glock 23 for over 12 years (9 years on swat team), and from all the studies and research, I've concluded any difference is marginal at best. I opted to get rid of my .40 cal weapons and switch to 9mm. Cheaper ammo, more capacity, lighter weight, less recoil and easier to shoot accurately all negated any marginal difference there may be in the .40 cal ballistic performance. I shoot heavy 147 gr. JHP +P in 9mm and completely confident it will work every bit as good as any .40 round.

I do think there is a appreciable difference between 9mm and .45 ACP, and because of that, I still have all my .45 cal guns. But I'm carrying and using 9mm these days and don't miss .40 at all. JMHO.

My current carry guns are M&P 9 full size, M&P Shield 9mm, XD9sc and Ruger LCP for deep concealment. By comparison, I shoot the M&P 9 full size much quicker and more accurately than the G-23. My M&P Shield 9mm is a dream to shoot. I can't help but think the .40 cal Shield is much harsher and will take more time to master. When I bought my XD9sc, I did compare it to a Glock 27. It was just as accurate, and as expected, much tamer to shoot. The G-27 actually made my hand start to go numb after shooting 4 mags. My 3.5 inch Colt Officers model .45 acp doesn't even do that. I can shoot it all day long with no ill effects.

I'm definitely not trying to sway your mind... Just giving my personal experience with both calibers.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I used a .40 cal Glock 23 for over 12 years (9 years on swat team), and from all the studies and research, I've concluded any difference is marginal at best. I opted to get rid of my .40 cal weapons and switch to 9mm. Cheaper ammo, more capacity, lighter weight, less recoil and easier to shoot accurately all negated any marginal difference there may be in the .40 cal ballistic performance. I shoot heavy 147 gr. JHP +P in 9mm and completely confident it will work every bit as good as any .40 round.

I do think there is a appreciable difference between 9mm and .45 ACP, and because of that, I still have all my .45 cal guns. But I'm carrying and using 9mm these days and don't miss .40 at all. JMHO.

My current carry guns are M&P 9 full size, M&P Shield 9mm, XD9sc and Ruger LCP for deep concealment. By comparison, I shoot the M&P 9 full size much quicker and more accurately than the G-23. My M&P Shield 9mm is a dream to shoot. I can't help but think the .40 cal Shield is much harsher and will take more time to master. When I bought my XD9sc, I did compare it to a Glock 27. It was just as accurate, and as expected, much tamer to shoot. The G-27 actually made my hand start to go numb after shooting 4 mags. My 3.5 inch Colt Officers model .45 acp doesn't even do that. I can shoot it all day long with no ill effects.

Oh you big sexy man you! All these yrs and I never knew you were an M&P man! And one that has chosen...after the best type of research and experience....9mm.

Scha...wing! LOL

I'm just teasing but that is one of the sexiest posts I've ever read, lolololol

BTW, I tried to buy a Shield yesterday. 9mm. No luck. So I have one ordered thru a friend who can go right to the distributor...still 3 months out :-(

I wanted to buy one last spring but couldnt find one and ended up buying new CMS competition guns instead. (about 3 times as expensive.) But with the current atmosphere around guns, I dont want to put it off any longer.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

LOL... too funny. But yeah, I'm digging M&P's. Not to take away from Glock, they are great guns, but the M&P's do fit my hand size better and are slightly easier to carry. I will likely eventually ditch my XD9sc someday and get an M&P 9 compact so all my 9mm's are on the same platform. But that will have to wait for a while.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    LOL... too funny. But yeah, I'm digging M&P's. Not to take away from Glock, they are great guns, but the M&P's do fit my hand size better and are slightly easier to carry. I will likely eventually ditch my XD9sc someday and get an M&P 9 compact so all my 9mm's are on the same platform. But that will have to wait for a while.
    Nothing against the Glocks or XDs either but same here...I tried them but the M&P fit my hand better too. And I was leaning towards the Ruger LCP or a Kahr for a smaller carry gun until they came out with the Shield. I also really prefer to stay with the same platform. I dont have near the training you do and really dont want to create different muscle memory where I dont need to.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Have to agree with Bark'n. Nothing against .40 cal. I shot and carried them for years, but due to a wrist injury, I can't tolerate shooting them any more. My carry guns now are either 9mm or .45.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Honestly, the shield seemed not quite to the standard in quality. I was disappointed in getting to handle one. Not to say it is a bad firearm, just that it did not seem tot he same standard.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I got a 9mm Shield a week ago. It's a keeper for sure.

Links