Which Guns? (optimistic IL resident planning ahead)

This is a discussion on Which Guns? (optimistic IL resident planning ahead) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, New member here with a glimmer of hope for CC for the first time in IL! We live in deep southern IL, very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which Guns? (optimistic IL resident planning ahead)

Which Guns? (optimistic IL resident planning ahead)

Hello All,
    New member here with a glimmer of hope for CC for the first time in IL!
    We live in deep southern IL, very conservative, pro-gun area. Unfortunately, being five hours from Chicago is not far enough. I know there is a long way to go, but for now, I'm assuming some form of CC will pass and my wife and I one day will be permit holders. I understand it's not a done deal, but let us have some joy for now....we want the constitutional right to protect our family.

In preparation, we would like to purchase a couple more handguns for CC now. Obviously, the concern is not knowing what IL CC legislation will look like.
    This post is to ask for information and thoughts directly related to firearms and not other possible items in the new law.

Reading online, I see that CA and MA must have the most restrictive "gun lists"....relating to external safety and cocked/loaded indicator.

First of all, do these buy/sell restrictions also relate to what you can conceal carry? IL is likely to create terribly restrictive CC legislation, and if it involves the attributes of a handgun such as external safety, I need to consider that in our purchase.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    First off. welcome to the forum.

As to your question, I doubt IL will mandate features distinguishing a carry gun vs. a range type gun. However expect some of the most stringent requirement out there, as well as being economically prohibitive.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome & glad to have ya'! As for the yet-undetermined regulations coming in Illinois, who knows what social-engineering brilliance will be enacted? The Federal Court has forced their hand on R2C, but I doubt they're suddenly going to become as liberal about armed self defense as they are about...wealth distribution.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I agree with others, I see Illinois working to make it all but impossible to actually get a license. I understand the proactive point, but if you already have weapons, and training, for self defense and use on your property, what is the rush? Why not wait for the legislation? Seems like they had to have something in 180 days?
    sensei2 likes this.

Haha. Thanks guys. Yes, there is no telling what they will dream up.

You're probably right in that I should just wait and see what happens. Yes, we have sufficient firearm coverage at home, nothing smaller than a G19 in handgun though. We know that we will want smaller (for my wife and for me due to the type of clothes I wear for my job).

Since you cannot buy a handgun out of state, future availability is my reasoning for being proactive.

IL lgd's just do not carry many concealable guns. In my recent search for a PPS, close to half of the shops I called didn't realize that Walther made such a gun. Add in the increased sales nationally, the frenzy in IL if this does pass, and we will probably have no choice except for something like the online auction site (transferred to an IL FFL.....if....if IL doesn't crack down on that in the bill as well).

That's why I was curious if those other "restrictive" states coupled cc permits with specific firearm attributes. From what I can find (just as an example, we are still determining the best guns for us) the PPS would never get approved, but the PM9 (external safety version) would.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by badmoon View Post
    First of all, do these buy/sell restrictions also relate to what you can conceal carry? IL is likely to create terribly restrictive CC legislation, and if it involves the attributes of a handgun such as external safety, I need to consider that in our purchase.
    Good luck trying to second-guess how ugly and restrictive the elements of any new legislation is likely to be. I'd suggest the first-swipe at such statutes is likely to be something on the order of California's, with limits on capacity, lists of "disallowed" firearms, possibly requirements for safeties.

BTW, there's another active thread going on the basic IL CHL Statute topic: POLL: IL Carry Legislation, features/restrictions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would guess Il will be very restrictive. If I lived in IL and was determined to go ahead and get a carry gun I would probably go with a new revolver or LC9. I am not sure about the features on some of the others like the Shield but cannot imagine a handgun having more safety features (does not do anything to make gun safer) than the LC9.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

IL approved carry pistol? Look at the Liberator, maybe in .25 acp.

Note I used the sarcasm color.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Welcome to the Forum from SE Michigan.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

GH
    After Friday's school shooting it might get a bit cool in Hades when IL gets a CC law passed. I have a feeling that anything to do with firearms is now more politically incorrect than it already was. Of course it'll be "for the children". You'll never hear about the 12,000 deaths a year due to drunk drivers, many of them kids. Maybe we should ban or highly restrict alcohol. Cars?

If you're an optimist about a law being passed in your lifetime I guess I'd either wait for the law to be passed & see what's acceptable before buying a CC weapon or take a chance & buy something with a low capacity magazine & safeties all over the place. Or a small revolver, Of course I'm thinking at least .357 magnum, lol.

You could always move to Wisconsin or some other state with a sensible CC law already in place, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Thanks, all.
    GH--I'm thinking the same thing.

Stevew--I've never looked at the LC9; will have to check it out.

I'm not necessarily opposed to something like a J-frame, but just figured that even with less capacity of a revolver, that the lack of a manual "safety" would get them on the restricted list. Maybe just the fact that they are not called semi-auto makes them okay to the gun haters? Does MA or CA have revolver restrictions?

joker1--You're sarcasm is probably close to the truth though. Heck, do you know that to even handle a gun at a gun shop in IL, you now have to show your IL issued FOID card before they will get it out of the case......or sell you 20 guage bird shot?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I would guess Il will be very restrictive. If I lived in IL and was determined to go ahead and get a carry gun I would probably go with a new revolver or LC9. I am not sure about the features on some of the others like the Shield but cannot imagine a handgun having more safety features (does not do anything to make gun safer) than the LC9.

I got to fondle an LC9 today. I really liked the feel of it. I'm going to get my wife to try it out.

SR9c -- A bit larger than the LC9, but has all the "reasonable safety features" that keep it off most of the "bad" lists I can think of.

And for that matter, I actually find them somewhat comforting... The large-ish loaded chamber indicator is easy to feel in the dark and the thumb safety keeps me from worrying about the poetically smooth trigger.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

I will recommend the 3 pistols my wife and I currently own and carry.
    Glock 26, as big as I would want to carry, and easy to shoot, especially if your use to Glocks.
    Ruger LC9, really nice size and I find quite easy to shoot... also has a mag disconnect, loaded chamber indicator, and thumb safety for the lawyers.
    Ruger LCP, My no excuses carry gun, i can carry this little guy no matter what i'm wearing... and with the wolf recoil springs I find it to be mild mannered.

Outside of Pistols, I would recommend a Revolver. The legals don't seem to be to interested in them because they are not tactical looking. Please correct me if im wrong.

I had the chance to shoot a few revolvers yesterday at the range, including 2 .357's, a 44mag, a 454, and a 500 smith. All that being said the most fun to shoot was the LCR in .22 and it is now the top of my to get list, for practice and last ditch. this was my first experience with wheel guns, and I will be purchasing at least one soon... I just need to get together with some friends and see what i can get second hand.

A decent revolver with some heft to it might do you well, in .357mag.

I've done the "airweight" "snubbie" revolver thing. They can be stout in the hands, and somewhat difficult to keep on target for many. Searching out a slightly heavier example, and considering a longer barrel, can make all the difference. For example, there are plenty of ~15oz .357/.38 options from S&W, Ruger. There are also numerous ~20-25oz options from those same companies. Hard hitting, decent recoil management, longer bbl for added sight picture and mitigation of muzzle flip.

One good choice, albeit a bit heavier: Ruger SP-101 KSP-331x 3in bbl, .357mag. Or, if .44sp/.44mag floats your boat, a Ruger Redhawk KRH-444 .44 with 4in bbl might do nicely. Mmmmm.

There are plenty of pre-owned examples of various revolvers on the auction boards as well (ie, GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc). Lots to choose from, including many of the older "heavyweights" that might be suitable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links