Clackamas Mall Shooter Was Confonted By Concealed Carrier (Oregon)

This is a discussion on Clackamas Mall Shooter Was Confonted By Concealed Carrier (Oregon) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are sure you'll be as shocked as we were to not hear ANYTHING about this in the mainstream media. Clackamas Mall Shooter Was Confonted ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lswinney

Thread: Clackamas Mall Shooter Was Confonted By Concealed Carrier (Oregon)

We are sure you'll be as shocked as we were to not hear ANYTHING about this in the mainstream media.

On Tuesday night 22-year-old Nick Meli went to the Clackamas Town Center mall with his friends Casey and Ashley as well as Ashley's four month old son***. They were walking through the mall when a masked man, now known to be Jacob Tyler Roberts, opened fire.

Nick's reaction? "I heard three shots and turned and looked at Casey and said, 'are you serious?'". Nick told Casey to get down with the baby and positioned himself behind a pillar in the mall. Oh yeah, Nick is a licensed concealed carrier in Oregon.

When Nick looked around the pillar he drew his concealed handgun. When the shooting suddenly stopped, what we now know was Roberts weapon jamming Nick saw him trying to clear the malfunction, "He was working on his rifle, he kept pulling the charging handle and hitting the side", Nick told reporters.

Roberts and Nick clearly saw each other and as Nick lined up the shot, he knew there was a problem, "As I was going down to pull I saw someone in the back of the (shooter) move and I knew if I fired and missed I could hit them".

Unable to safely take the shot without risking innocents (Colonel Jeff Cooper's Firearms Rule #4 for those counting), Nick took cover inside a store. He stands by his choice not to pull the trigger, saying "I'm not beating myself up cause I didn't shoot him, I know after he saw me I think the last shot he fired was the one he used on himself".

That's right... even though Nick never fired a shot, Roberts knew that he was no longer the only armed man in the mall. Roberts retreated into the stairwell, cleared his weapons malfunction and committed suicide rather than continue attacking and killing any more innocent civilians.

There is a famous saying that the only thing that can stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun. On Tuesday night, Nick Meli was that good man with a gun. Even without the shot being fired, he managed to change Jacob Roberts plan and help to save lives.

Let me just say thank you Nick.
    SL1ckOne and Yetiman like this.

Wow, great post! Thanks for the link and the story. We need to get the word out more to let me people here about the "saves", not just the catastrophes. Things may have been much, much worse without his actions.

VIP Member
    I was under the impression that the mall was a posted no guns allowed facility?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I don't know what the law is there, but in my home state of SD "no guns allowed" signs in public spaces don't carry the force of law except in places where guns are barred under statute. If you are in a place that posts no guns, say a theater, you can still carry legally. If someone sees your guns and asks you to leave, you must leave, but it's not a crime to have the firearm (at this point, it's just trespassing if you won't vacate).

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    The mall is posted as an unarmed victim zone, but in OR, the signs carry no weight of law. As long as you leave if asked, no problems.
    Walk softly ...

Administrator
    Already running in the news section
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links