Please advise...which gun should I carry?

This is a discussion on Please advise...which gun should I carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yea, I know, you guys get that a lot around here, eh? I owned a snub-nosed .38 that I bought brand-ew and never once fired. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Please advise...which gun should I carry?

Yea, I know, you guys get that a lot around here, eh?

I owned a snub-nosed .38 that I bought brand-ew and never once fired. I never carried. I later sold it.

With all the crazy stuff going on I think it's time to get a gun and to conceal carry (I live in Florida).

I would like a gun that is "better" than the .38 in terms of power, range, etc. Of course, I like the "hideability" and easy carry of the .38. I understand revolvers don't require maintenance but other guns do, correct? Well, I like low to zero maintenance.

I also want a guy that is very difficult to accidentally discharge.

I thought if you guys could give me a few recommendations (and why, please) I will go to a gun range and rent out those guns and try to figure out which one works best for me.

Thanks in advance!

Glock 19 or 27. M&P 9c. Those are places to start... but there is a sticky thread about choosing the right gun for you. Read the years of wisdom on that.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Senior Moderator
    The best gun you should carry is one the you can shoot accurately, safely and a willing to carry. My advice is to go and rent different handguns and see which one you like the best, and which ones are the cheapest for you to shoot
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I like revolvers but since you are looking for something different I would advice either a Glock 19 or 26 in 9mm or Glock 23 or 27 in 40S&W. The 19 and 23 are compacts and the 26 and 27 are sub-compacts (even smaller). Glocks are very reliable (widely used by police) and not too expensive (around $500). Do rent one and shoot it before you buy. Only you can tell if the gun is good for you.

VIP Member
    A lot of options for you. Read up about them and check out the reviews,(before you spend your hard earned money at the range) then like others before me have said go to the range and rent a few of the guns that you narrowed down. I like the Glocks but some people do not like the feel in the hand. Only you will be able to figure it out. There is just way too many options. I also like my Ruger LC9 however it has lots of moving parts. Good luck and stay safe!!!

It is a personal choice but consider facts. (1) A decent 9mm has the stopping power of a .38. With brand name Defensive Ammo they are not that far apart at about 1050fps. (2) Most defensive shootings happen within 10 feet. A .357 magnum 2in barrel with brand name defensive ammo will handle anything at that range except body armor. (3) Most occurances rarely involve more than one-two shots. It is a nice feeling to know you have 10 if needed, but even 6 shots is rare. (4) Revolvers are as easy (or hard) to fire as any DAO semi-auto but slide action semi's give you more choices with decockers, safetys, etc.,. (5) Semi-autos are more narrow than wheel guns and allow magazines for easy, fast reloading but see No. 3. Again, it is your choice. Consider that you will want to carry it about 12hours a day (or it is worthless sitting at home or in your trunk.) What you are physically more comfortable with is more important than caliber (above .32).
    God said, "Fear Not..." over 350 times in the Bible, so, fear not those who can take your freedoms away. Rather, fear the day that no one will fight to save them.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    The best gun you should carry is one the you can shoot accurately, safely and a willing to carry. My advice is to go and rent different handguns and see which one you like the best, and which ones are the cheapest for you to shoot
    And take a very close look at getting another snubby .38 (+P)

ps, don't go cheap...
    pgrass101 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

if u like revolvers get the Ruger LCR that chambers both .38 or .357mag!

My preference would be for the snubbie. Easy to carry, once you get it down, easy to shoot. Usually a heavy enough trigger pull to not activate unintentionally. I carry mine always. .38+p is plenty for SD purposes. If you must have an auto, the glock and m&p series' are some fine weapons as well with plenty of potential firepower. I carry the S&W 442. Love it. Not too cost prohibitive either. Few hundo.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by K9Buck View Post
    Yea, I know, you guys get that a lot around here, eh?

I owned a snub-nosed .38 that I bought brand-ew and never once fired. I never carried. I later sold it.

With all the crazy stuff going on I think it's time to get a gun and to conceal carry (I live in Florida).

I would like a gun that is "better" than the .38 in terms of power, range, etc. Of course, I like the "hideability" and easy carry of the .38. I understand revolvers don't require maintenance but other guns do, correct? Well, I like low to zero maintenance.

I also want a guy that is very difficult to accidentally discharge.

I thought if you guys could give me a few recommendations (and why, please) I will go to a gun range and rent out those guns and try to figure out which one works best for me.

Thanks in advance!
    All guns are going to require some sort of maintenance in order to work flawless each time. If not, you might end up with an expensive brick.

You want a gun that is difficult to have an AD with? I'm sorry, but that makes it sound like you have zero experience with firearms. It does not matter what gun you have, practice and being familiar with your gun will help prevent an AD/ND.

Before I list some recommendations, let's get some basic facts first. Do you have a concealed carry permit? Do you currently own any firearms? If so, what kind?

Without any of that information, I would recommend a Glock 26/27. Small, easy to conceal, and packs a punch in your choice of 9mm or .40.

When I don't have time to explain or ask questions, I always say this. G-19
    sioux565, Brad426 and bigdogtx like this.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    If you are comfortable with the 38 but want a bit more umpf don't over look the 357 Magnum. A used S&W 13, 19, 65, or 66 with a 2 1/2" or 3" barrel should do very nicely. Also a Ruger of the same size would work. If you want a semi-auto pistol there are quite a number to chooze from. You could go with a high quality 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP. Remember that a revolver is simpler to operate and maintain but semi-autos are not all that difficult. Go to a range that rents guns and try as many as you can before you decide to buy. Go to the range with a friend who has many different guns to try. Buy the friend ammo so he'll be more likely to let you try his guns or buy him lunch. The main thing is to try before you buy if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    All guns are going to require some sort of maintenance in order to work flawless each time. If not, you might end up with an expensive brick.

You want a gun that is difficult to have an AD with? I'm sorry, but that makes it sound like you have zero experience with firearms. It does not matter what gun you have, practice and being familiar with your gun will help prevent an AD/ND.

Before I list some recommendations, let's get some basic facts first. Do you have a concealed carry permit? Do you currently own any firearms? If so, what kind?

Without any of that information, I would recommend a Glock 26/27. Small, easy to conceal, and packs a punch in your choice of 9mm or .40.
    You are correct. I once fired a handgun with a dog training friend of mine who worked at a gun range. That is the extent of my experience with guns. I do not yet have a cc permit but I am going to get one this week or next. I do NOT own a firearm.

I trust the advice you guys have given me here and I do appreciate it. I'll write down the guns suggested and go to a gun store/shooting range and try them out. Thank you guys very much and stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by K9Buck View Post
    You are correct. I once fired a handgun with a dog training friend of mine who worked at a gun range. That is the extent of my experience with guns. I do not yet have a cc permit but I am going to get one this week or next. I do NOT own a firearm.

I trust the advice you guys have given me here and I do appreciate it. I'll write down the guns suggested and go to a gun store/shooting range and try them out. Thank you guys very much and stay safe!
    Thanks for at least admitting that you are new to this and being open for suggestions. It makes recommending different firearms easier!

What pgrass101 said
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links