I have moved and forgot to notify my sheriff's office.

This is a discussion on I have moved and forgot to notify my sheriff's office. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am freaking out a little. I got my permit in CO and have since moved to Texas. I forgot/procrastinated/was lazy and did not notify ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KBSR

Thread: I have moved and forgot to notify my sheriff's office.

I am freaking out a little. I got my permit in CO and have since moved to Texas. I forgot/procrastinated/was lazy and did not notify my CCW sheriff's office of my move. Went to fill out the form this morning and realized I am way outside the 30 day notification period for change of address. It says that failure to notify within those 30 days could mean a class one petty offense.
    So what does this mean?! Am I going to get fined? Go to jail? Never be able to have a CCW again?
    One of my thoughts was to just get a Texas CCW and let my CO one die (it expires on 5 years). But there's another part of me that wants to be honest and call them up and let them know, that way if I ever live in CO again I can still get a permit there....if that would even be possible at this point.
    Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

VIP Member
    I think you should talk to a firearms type Lawyer and get some legal advice.

With all due respect, I wouldn't spend any energy on this, and I sure wouldn't spend my money on an attorney. (Are you an ambulance chaser Mr. Buckwheat? LOL)

if I found myself in this position, I'd probably send a letter, with the CCW enclosed, advising Colorado that you've moved out of state, and no longer need their permit. Thanks, and have a good day. They will not come looking for you, because you missed some arbitrary deadline. Law enforcement has plenty to do, without looking for work. Relax, send it off, and enjoy Texas. My .02.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    With all due respect, I wouldn't spend any energy on this, and I sure wouldn't spend my money on an attorney. (Are you an ambulance chaser Mr. Buckwheat? LOL)

if I found myself in this position, I'd probably send a letter, with the CCW enclosed, advising Colorado that you've moved out of state, and no longer need their permit. Thanks, and have a good day. They will not come looking for you, because you missed some arbitrary deadline. Law enforcement has plenty to do, without looking for work. Relax, send it off, and enjoy Texas. My .02.
    My good friend is a firearms lawyer, He doesn't charge an " ARM and LEG" Yes the wrong lawyer will get into your wallet. But I don't think it is a high priority for the LE.

That sounds like a good idea, thanks!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    While I don't know anything about Colorado law I would not worry too much about it. I'm sure you are not the first or the last person that this has occcured to. The petty offense to me sounds more like a parking ticket more than anything else. It should be a fine if anything. The best bet is to call the sheriff and ask him what he would like you to do. Tell him you were so busy with the move it skipped your mind and would like to take care of it. He has probably dealt with this before. Good luck.

Did the same thing, myself. Moved and subsequently notified them of the move. Sent a letter along with the enclosed CHL. Worked just fine. After all, it's not as though you're a criminal.

Perhaps call up your local issuing agency (sheriff?) via a pay phone, asking the general question of how to return/stop a CHL once you've moved. You'll get your basic answer, there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Get your TX CHL,until you get the license you can legally carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle and on person from home to vehicle,and vehicle into office etc.you can't deter into the starbucks on the way into your office carrying concealed until you get the license.when you need to leave your gun in the car like your going into a store or work where you can't carry I lock my gun up in one of these
    In Car Gun Lockers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Get your Tx permit; surrender the CO permit. No one will be the wiser.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links