Weight of law (WI)

This is a discussion on Weight of law (WI) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what the term "weight if law" actually means. In Wisconsin our "no guns" signs carry weight if law. Does this mean I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BuckysGlock

Thread: Weight of law (WI)

Weight of law (WI)

I was wondering what the term "weight if law" actually means. In Wisconsin our "no guns" signs carry weight if law. Does this mean I can be pressed with charges even after leaving the premises if discovered and told to leave?

Thanks,
    Wes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckysGlock View Post
    I was wondering what the term "weight if law" actually means. In Wisconsin our "no guns" signs carry weight if law. Does this mean I can be pressed with charges even after leaving the premises if discovered and told to leave?

Thanks,
    Wes

IANAL. It means that if you carry where posted, you are in violation of the law vs. violating a company police. Depending on the state, it can range from a misdemeanor to a felony. Yes, if they want to press it, you can be arrested and charged after the fact.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Re: Weight of law (WI)

Thanks Archer, just the info i needed. Looks like a few places will be losing my dollar.

Penalty depends on what the place is that's posted.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...q-20111020.pdf

Can a business or property owner limit or prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons on its
    premises?

Yes. The law permits certain owners and occupants of property to prohibit persons from
    carrying a concealed firearm in or on the property. A person may be subject to a Class B
    forfeiture if he or she carries a firearm on the property after being notified not to remain
    on the property or remain with a specific type of firearm. In the latter case, a property
    owner can prohibit a person form possessing a specific type of firearm on their property
    or any firearm. Wis. Stat. 943.13(1m)(b).
    In addition, property owners generally possess the right to exclude others from their
    property. While the specific provisions below only reference prohibiting the possession of
    firearms, property owners may also prohibit or restrict the possession of other weapons
    on their property. Violations of such restrictions may also constitute a Class B forfeiture
    under Wis. Stat. 943.13(1m)(b). Therefore, the language quoted below, while only
    mentioning firearms, applies with equal force to other weapons.

Where is a licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed weapon?
    A licensee or an authorized out-of-state licensee may not carry a weapon (knife, stun gun
    or electric weapon, a knife, or club, or a machinegun), either concealed or unconcealed,
    in the following locations:
     Any portion of a building that is a police station, sheriff‘s office, state patrol station, or
    the office of a Division of Criminal Investigation special agent of DOJ.
     Any portion of a building that is a prison, jail, house of correction, or secured
    correctional facility.
     The Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center, the Wisconsin Resource Center, or any
    secured unit or secured portion of a mental health institution, including a facility
    designated as the Maximum Security Facility at the Mendota Mental Health Institute.
     Any portion of a building that is a county, state, or federal courthouse.
     Any portion of a building that is a municipal courtroom if court is in session.
     A place beyond a security checkpoint in an airport.

Violations of such restrictions may also constitute a Class B forfeiture
    under Wis. Stat. 943.13(1m)(b).

What this means is you can be fined $25.00. It is neither a misdemeanor or a felony, and not a criminal offence. It is a fine.

If you refuse to leave when asked, then it can turn into something else.
    NRA Life Member

I just dont go in them

GH
    I won't take my money to a place that has a gunbuster sign unless I absolutely have to. The clinic where my doctor has his office is one of the ones I can't avoid.

I was going to provide a link to a site that shows businesses that are not gun friendly but dang! Now it's for members only & you have to pay to be a member! They used to have a free service that listed those businesses. I used to check it once or twice a month.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Weight of law (WI)

Thanks for the replies everybody. I think I will be taking my money elsewhere when I see gun buster signs, even if it is only a $25 fine.
    Yetiman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckysGlock View Post
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I think I will be taking my money elsewhere when I see gun buster signs, even if it is only a $25 fine.
    That's the way I try to fly !
    NRA Life Member

just sent an email to Goodwill that i will no longer support their mission. Seriously?? if they feared that someone is gonna rob Goodwill, they must be smoking some good stuff. They should feel lucky i even shop and donate stuff there. I will just toss my 'still in good condition' stuff out or give it to the salvation army if there isn't a gun buster sign on their door.

Links