Let's draft a well-tailored letter to our Senators and Representatives

This is a discussion on Let's draft a well-tailored letter to our Senators and Representatives within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Obviously this will be only one of many things needed to counter the new proposed Assault Weapons Ban, but I figure it can't hurt to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Let's draft a well-tailored letter to our Senators and Representatives

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Obviously this will be only one of many things needed to counter the new proposed Assault Weapons Ban, but I figure it can't hurt to craft together a nice letter to our representatives in Washington. I'm going to start by suggesting that we include this report by the DoJ on the ineffectiveness of the last ban.

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/173405.pdf

There's a later update here also:

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/jerrylee/re..._final2004.pdf

Later this evening or tomorrow I'll try to draft up the letter itself, but feel free to take a crack at it before that if you'd like.

I would recommend "Talking Points" only, or bullet points, so "canned" letters are not used. I like the idea.
    brocktice likes this.

VIP Member
    Just a tip I once got from a Congressman's Chief of Staff--- don't send e-mail, no one pays attention. Don't send stuff
    through regular mail, it takes a long time to get there because of screening post the anthrax scares.

Use FAX. It gets there quickly and gets attention. YMMV, but I think the man knew what he was talking about.
    shadowwalker likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Here's some food for thought.

First, consider the ideas being circulated:
    • banning so-called assault weapons
    • banning high-capacity magazines
    • unauthorized use of firearms
    • keeping firearms out of the hands of mental deficients without compromising the rights and privacy of citizens (this is a very tough nut to crack)

Then - define the boundaries of the problem:

• don't discriminate against some firearms and not others. a practiced cowboy-action shooter can shoot a revolver or lever-action rifle as quickly as a semi-automatic
    • respect the intentions of the Second Amendment; we set ourselves apart from tyrannical governments by preserving the right for civilians to keep and bear arms, but the problem is firearms in the hands of those bent on evil
    • the idea of "gun free zones" was flawed from the outset, and has resulted in the worst imaginable unintended consequences - "criminal empowerment zones." How many attempted massacres have there been at shooting ranges and police stations compared to schools and shopping malls since "gun free zones" were established? Take away the false security of gun free zones.
    • keep your minds open to the types of security measures the Israelis have established for their schools, which involve trained, armed civilians

These are just 'starter' ideas. I suggest not establishing "hard lines" at this point, but instead acknowledging that problems exist and being open to conversations about fixing what's broken.

Now - keep in mind that overall, schools are pretty safe places. The likelihood of being murdered in a school in the US is far less than being struck by lightning. Compared to deaths resulting from tobacco use and automobiles, firearm murders are way, way down on the list. But when a high-profile tragedy strikes, emotions rule the day... we just need to keep that in mind.
    Brad426 and msgt/ret like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

There's no logic to destroying the rights of millions b/c of an event that happens once/yr on average.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    There's no logic to destroying the rights of millions b/c of an event that happens once/yr on average.
    Using logic is not going to help here, man. Emotions are high, children are dead and this is the placebo panacea to events that the president called "routine".
    TX expat likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just a tip I once got from a Congressman's Chief of Staff--- don't send e-mail, no one pays attention. Don't send stuff
    through regular mail, it takes a long time to get there because of screening post the anthrax scares.

Use FAX. It gets there quickly and gets attention. YMMV, but I think the man knew what he was talking about.
    I've had similar feedback, emphasizing leaving a voice message if that option is available to you. But whatever you do, pick TWO means to communicate - don't stop at just one.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Correct.

Statistically, one is more likely to be struck by lightning than shot in a school, but when dealing with an emotion-charged subject, an appeal to statistics is generally not productive.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This is based on a combination of drafts from another thread. I just finished emailing and faxing it.

Senator "," I want to write to you in the hopes that you will oppose any future assault weapons ban, such as that being discussed by Senator Feinstein. Although I am not aware of any specific proposals yet, it is likely that any new assault weapons ban (AWB) will be similar to the last, implemented under President Clinton.

Assuming the goal is to actually reduce the number of homicides and mass murders in this country, a new AWB will be nothing more than a wasted opportunity. The last ban had restrictions on the capacity of new magazines, restricting them to no more than ten rounds, and any new proposal will likely contain this as well. The tragic shooting at Columbine Highschool took place while the previous AWB was in effect. The shooters, instead of modifying their magazines to carry additional rounds (something remarkably easy to do, especially considering the shooters were able to illegally shorten their shotgun below the legal length), decided to bring with them thirteen, ten-round magazines. Clearly, magazine restrictions did not stop crime, nor will they in the future.

The second, main prong of the previous AWB was a restriction on various cosmetic features of rifles, for instance, flash suppressors and bayonet mounts. I understand that many deem these to be military accoutrements with little to no civilian purpose, but that does not make these features inherently dangerous, nor does it make a rifle sporting such features any more lethal. In fact, the Department of Justice concluded, in two studies (one included with this letter) of the previous assault weapons ban that these provisions “target…a relatively small number of weapons based on features that have little to do with the weapons’ operation, and removing those features is sufficient to make the weapon legal.” What’s more, the Justice Department concluded that, viewed as a whole, a reinstatement of the AWB would have such a miniscule effect on crime as to be “too small for measurement.”

I implore you to please show vigorous opposition to any new AWB. It is a wasted opportunity to take real action in reducing gun violence. Strengthen the background check system by requiring stronger reporting from universities (which may have caught the V-Tech killer, as he was diagnosed by his school with mental illness and charged by the school with harassment and stalking) and mental health institutions; require background checks on private gun sales, or allow private individuals to perform checks on the buyer without having to transfer the firearm through a licensed dealer; most importantly, strengthen the mental health system to provide better care upfront to those members of society who fall through the cracks of our understaffed and overworked mental health system. I would even support mandatory safety education and licensing, say every four years, to be allowed to purchase firearms. We cannot make people store their weapons safely, but we can give them the knowledge required.

I also ask that you reconsider the efficacy of “gun free zones.” One must consider how many children would have been saved had the teachers or administrators of Sandy Hook been allowed to be armed. What purpose is served by laws that create “soft target” zones in which we concentrate our most vulnerable and innocent? So many of the recent public mass shootings have occurred in places were either legally or nominally banned. Criminals do not respect gun-free zones, only law abiding citizens, by definition, do.

I know that reasonable measures can be reached; reasonable in that the second amendment and the individual right to own and carry a gun is protected (something extremely important to me and many other New Mexicans), and yet reasonable in that steps to reduce unnecessary and preventable gun violence are taken. I hope that you will carefully consider an appropriate response to these continuing tragedies. I would love to hear back from you about this issue, whether through a public statement on gun control or a private message to me. Thank you for your service.

Emotions are high because of everything...but in the position our government officials hold they should be able to keep their emotions out of decisions that will affect our country!

If you all get something written up post it!!! Me and everyone I know will send it!

I think it's great that this will not be taken up until January, that will help. I'm going to keep on this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Correct.Statistically, one is more likely to be struck by lightning than shot in a school, but when dealing with an emotion-charged subject, an appeal to statistics is generally not productive.
    How about I yell, with spittle coming out of my mouth, how stupid such thinking is? Fighting emotion with emotion. Anti-gunners readily admit that most of their "solutions" don't address the problem, but then counter with "anything is better than nothing", "we have to do something", etc. Ya'll are right that logic won't sway the rabid anti's, but nothing will - why waste time on them? The vast majority of people are sitting on the fence . I would much rather address the actual problems with reasonable, logical arguments and present actionable solutions in contrast to the yelling, irrational cries for conservative blood. So, if taking apart their arguments piece by piece isn't the way to address the problem with the fence sitters, what is?
    Hi-cap mags - 3 secs to change mags
    Bayonet lugs, flash hiders, other essentially cosmetic attributes - nothing lethal about these features
    Pistol grip - so what
    Semi-auto - so what, lever action and revolver can be fast as well
    Guns in general - better they use guns rather than other methods of destruction
    Define the actual problem - shootings with EBR's make up less than 1% of gun deaths (most of which are suicides) so eliminating EBR's (which isn't possible anyway) would not change the number of gun deaths to any measurable extent and would only result in substituting other means of violence.
    Solutions
    Arm teachers - Israel
    Mental health - Hey, let's address the underlying problem
    Harden schools - delay attack until police arrive, armed staff responds, give unarmed teachers time to secure classrooms
    End GFZ - in place since 1990 and have only served to attract nutcase predators
    Previous AWB - just as many school shootings, 15 in 10 yrs when AWB in force
    Only attempted mass killings that were stopped were by armed citizens, not police - otherwise shooter committed suicide.
    Shooters stop when confronted - only effective way to confront is to fire back.
    Restrict the media from sensationalizing these events - they want reasonable restrictions on 2nd Amend rights, why not 1st Amend as well - wait, already there as you don't have the right to yell "fire" if there isn't one or to libel/slander another person.
    Why does the media insist on ignoring events where armed citizens successfully fight back against criminals?
    Why has the current administration stopped funding for school security? (I need to find a cite for that)

Have at it. Mine were send last weekend not that it will do any good with entrenched libs like levin or stabenow. Career politicians are just like criminals: they want what they want and getting it is the only thing that matters. Facts don't matter here. Well crafted sound arguments don't matter. Playing within the confines of the Constitution and established case law doesn't either. None have for a while in case you haven't noticed. If it helps you feel like you stood up for what's right when you were tested, I salute you. Just try not to get too discouraged when your best efforts fail to yield the desired result.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    This is based on a combination of drafts from another thread. I just finished emailing and faxing it.
    Sir - I thank you for this thread and applaud your contacting your senator.

I would not, however, from my perspective, send your letter - it gives up far too much. Given the content of your letter, and there are some good points in it, I would rather give up the right to buy ARs and AKs than to be saddled with all the new restrictions you ask for to purchase any gun. From my perspective, you are giving up a lot to save a little.

I have an AR, I like it a lot, but if i had to pick between a deal where I could give up the right to buy ARs and AKs, and be saddled with all the new regs you propose OR keep the status quo on regs but loose the right to buy ARs and AKs and even a mag restriction, I would go with the latter. Neither if these approaches are, however, constitutional.

Again, I applaud you for getting involved, I just disagree with your solution.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

They are all drafting/have drafted canned letters to send to constituents. I sent an email to my senator and rep and this is what I received the very next morning. I love living in Idaho by the way. My email was short and to the point. He did address my concerns but I knew what his answer would be anyway. They still need to hear from us.

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts about the recent tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As a father and grandfather, words cannot adequately describe the profound sadness that I feel for all those affected by this senseless act of a troubled young man. On Friday, December 14, 2012, we all witnessed the unfolding scene whereby the police responded to a shooting at a Connecticut school where at least 26 lives were taken, and all far too soon. Our children are our most vulnerable members of society and it is our duty to keep them out of harm’s way.

This devastating act was a terrible tragedy that stuns the nation. As an ongoing investigation, the exact situation and motive of the shooter remain uncertain, but the devastation it has had on the community, and to citizens all across the country, does not. My sincerest and heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to all the innocent victims and their families.

In the days and weeks going forward, a number of ideas will be brought forward relating to guns and mental health. As Congress acts, it must be in full recognition that the choices we make must reflect the realities that we cannot completely legislate away risk and violence out of society. Burdening law-abiding citizens of this country with additional gun restrictions is not the answer to safeguarding the public from further attacks, and weakening Second Amendment rights is not an appropriate response to this tragic act of a lone gunman.

Let me reassure you that I do not support gun control. We must protect and preserve our constitutional right to bear arms. Our country should have a thoughtful and reasoned debate on how to address mental health issues and crime control, while still preserving our constitutional rights. The Second Amendment reads: "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I firmly believe this provision prohibits the federal government from denying law-abiding citizens this right.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you. For more information about the issues before the U.S. Senate as well as news releases, photos, and other items of interest, please visit my Senate website, U.S. Senator Mike Crapo's Homepage.

Sincerely,

Mike Crapo
    United States Senator
    Woman With A Gun

Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession. - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links