Teachers to carry guns in school in Texas community.

This is a discussion on Teachers to carry guns in school in Texas community. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought there was a national gun free school zone law? I know some states don't ban them specifically, but I thought it was a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Teachers to carry guns in school in Texas community.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I thought there was a national gun free school zone law? I know some states don't ban them specifically, but I thought it was a federal crime to have guns in schools?
    Walk softly ...

2. Remove Ads

Fox has an updated story published today about the same school district mentioned in the OP.

Stop school shootings by letting teachers fire back, say Texas officials | Fox News

I agree 100% with him and only hope that other schools across the state and the country can adopt similar policies.

It is nice to see the superintendent used his brain and realized that "gun free" zones are a joke.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I work for maintenance dept at a school. We have a meeting in 30 minutes to address safety in schools......would like to see our district look into employee's being able to carry. We had a guy that worked here several years ago that made me wish I could carry then.....

Folks.

I see on this thread that there are some who do not know all the laws about concealed carry in their state...

In My Opinion, For What It's Worth... I strongly believe that it is incumbent on us as permit holders to know the laws as they apply to us...

The federal law allows for a 1000' area from school property to be a "gun free" (and drug free) zone. All states that I know of make exceptions for those with permits to carry weapons issued by their state (and others if reciprocity covers it, and it DOES NOT in all instances).

The exceptions vary.... you can have it in your car in some, you can have it on your person in others... and so on...

Know the laws in your state at the VERY LEAST.... PLEASE.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Re: Teachers to carry guns in school in Texas community.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Folks.

I see on this thread that there are some who do not know all the laws about concealed carry in their state...

In My Opinion, For What It's Worth... I strongly believe that it is incumbent on us as permit holders to know the laws as they apply to us...

The federal law allows for a 1000' area from school property to be a "gun free" (and drug free) zone. All states that I know of make exceptions for those with permits to carry weapons issued by their state (and others if reciprocity covers it, and it DOES NOT in all instances).

The exceptions vary.... you can have it in your car in some, you can have it on your person in others... and so on...

Agreed. It's part of the responsibility of carrying a firearm. I'm very familiar with my local laws - where I can or cannot go, and where I have to lock it up in my truck. People that don't know them and go with the garbage of "concealed is concealed" in areas where posted signes carry the weight of law? That does us more harm than good...especially if they are caught. What a great way to get our rights further restricted, or completely removed.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Folks.

So, I am very clear on my State laws, in WA and OR, but I am unsure how the federal law plays in. Is the 1,000 ft. thing the federal guidline that the states are allowed to make, but don't have to? That is where I am unclear. There are way too many laws for us to have to sift through. It should be so much easier than it is.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    That story is from 2008 but still a good idea.
    Wait, you mean that some of those teachers have been carrying guns for 4 years now and their guns haven't jumped out of wherever they're kept and started killing innocent children? Are you sure?

(The answer is yes, they really have been carrying for several years, and the number of districts doing so has actually grown, but kept out of the news to avoid the unwanted publicity and likely lawsuits).

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Here's some legislation I could get behind:

Arm a group of willing teachers/paraprofessionals/administrators/staff at every school. Each school's "team" has to be carefully selected, rigoursly trained, capable of not just handling a gun but discerning proper use of a gun in an instant's notice, and responsible for the armed defense of the school.

Each school must also actively participate in training for the entire school of what to do in the event of an emergency, and a specific plan for each school written, trained and ready for execution. The plan should include knowledge of the defense team's tactics and roles and should include quickly locating and retreating to safe havens that the defense team is aware of. The plan should include tactics that allow the defense team to protect those safe places and draw any potential idio....er, shooter away from those areas and into areas where the defense team can contain the shooter and eradicate them if necessary.

Once a schools certified defense team is in place and they have written, critiqued, practiced and implemented their emergency plan, that school gets a pile of placards that can be placed around the school that say something like, "WARNING: This School complies with and adheres to the conditions of the Public Education Safety Act of 2013."

And let that sign mean this: we are armed, we are ready, we know what to do and if you come here with a gun you will lose.

I'd bet that on any given campus there are at least 5% to 10% of the teaching staff, support staff, administration or paraprofessionals that are comfortable with guns, capable of learning efficient tactics, willing to serve, and trustworthy enough to carry a gun to protect the rest of the school. That 5% to 10% can do the heavy lifting, so other teachers and staff that don't want guns or are against guns don't have to.

Bet that would stop some of this?
    ppkheat likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by Inter9 View Post
    Do any teachers in the USA in 2012 carry guns while teaching their classes? I think it was made illegal everywhere, hence the story is from 2008.
    Teachers in Harrold ISD are still allowed to carry in school. Texas law allows school carry with written permission of the administration. That permission applies to both CHL teachers or CHL'ers in general. Not many ISD's administrators allowed it, although my understanding is that this is not the only school district in Texas that allows it.

PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution

The following is another article from a few days ago ragarding this ISD.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12...ers-carry.html

Thweatt said the "guardian plan," which drew international attention when it was implemented in 2008, definitely enhances student safety.

"Is that 100 percent? No," Thweatt said Friday in a telephone interview. "Nothing is 100 percent. But what we do know is that we've done all we can to protect our children."

At the time the plan was put in place, Harrold, about 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth, was the only known public school district in Texas and the U.S. that allowed staff members and teachers to carry concealed weapons. Thweat said he knows of some other districts that have since adopted similar policies, but declined to name them.

I think this will be passed considering it was proposed back in October. The CT instance will reinforce their reasonings.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    gotta love Texas... they also said it's time to remove the ban on carry a weapon in a school zone... make the criminals think twice before shooting up everyone wiht no fear of retaliation... ban removal makes it more like russian roulette are you feeling lucky today...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I thought there was a national gun free school zone law? I know some states don't ban them specifically, but I thought it was a federal crime to have guns in schools?
    The Gun Free School Zone Act (federal law) makes an exemption to the 1000' rule for those with CCW's issued by the state where the school resides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fre...es_Act_of_1990

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links