Received my renewal CCL today & ramblings

This is a discussion on Received my renewal CCL today & ramblings within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's been 5 years since I first was able to carry a concealed firearm legally. I still feel like a newbie. Trying new holsters, buying ...

Thread: Received my renewal CCL today & ramblings

Received my renewal CCL today & ramblings

It's been 5 years since I first was able to carry a concealed firearm legally. I still feel like a newbie. Trying new holsters, buying new pistols, buying more new holsters, looking for the perfect concealment and total comfort.
    It appears that generally, the comfort goes up with price. (surprise surprise) but not necessarily.
    I find that concealing a 2" 5 shot snubby .38 revolver IWB, tucked, is more difficult than concealing a compact 1911. It's the thickness of the cylinder that does it.
    I find that a pocket holster for the snubby is a very good way to carry and very accessable. But not very powerful. But very reliable.
    And it is THERE if I need it! Yeah, it does flop around a bit, but it is still there.
    I find that the tuckable holsters for my Kimber compact ll (Officers frame, 4" slide) are fairly comfortable but slow and dang near impossible to re-holster. Practice drawing with these is a highly frustrating activity. (however, there is no better companion than that .45 caliber "friend"- - - - well, maybe a squad of Marines)
    A cheap soft leather clip on IWB for the .38 sufficed for several years but demanded an un-tucked shirt. Today's attitudes and actions demand that I am armed far more than just when I can have my shirt-tails out.
    Wish I could magically find a lightweight .45 small enough to pocket carry that would not have viscious recoil (the .38 is titanium & + P rated, it has a nasty and almost painful snap to it with 158 gr +P.)

I got it! I want one of the pistols used on TV, they have almost no recoil and rarely ever miss.

Laser sights (CT) are great, bordering upon fabulous on the snubby but less so on a full sized 1911. (purely personal here)
    Tritium night sights are a blessing and comfort on a carry weapon. - - - well almost as good as the squad of marines.

Wife says that I'm an overaged boy scout. - - - - -Yeah I am. I wish that there were more of me. (and more of the folks that are reading this forum, 'cause we is da same.)

Happy days
    Roger

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Roger - we are very nearly at the same stage - my first renewal will be coming up in about 2 months.

I have been lucky tho in as much as - I do feel I have found my ultimate combo now - and that is all but 2 years old. K&D Eagle Defender and my 226 ST.

I did like most earlier on try this and that but have pretty much settled now. Still not averse of course to finding even better set-ups but somehow doubt I'll better what i use now.

I carried revo's before but I also have a slight ''thing'' re the cylinder aspect.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congratulations on your longevity and the renewal! This calls for a celebratory renewal trip to Wal-Mart! Nacho chips, here we come!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Links