This is a discussion on Gun-free zones in Florida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by The Fish One more place which is not listed in the firearms section but rather in the health section;any hospital with a ...
Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield
It is not correct about the theme parks.
What I want to know is about the schools, if you drop off or pick up and never leave your car. Is that ok? The gun is in the globe compartment.
To answer your question OP I think that colleges should allow concealed carry on campus and so should city board meetings. Over here in Kentucky, Western Kentucky Univ. just allowed students to have guns on campus but I don't know if they can conceal. It sounds like a good idea to me especially for late nights at the library, etc.
Okay, here goes:
1. Better defined as to what is actually considered a place of nuisance.
2. Not sure if or how I'd modify
3. Perhaps remove the courthouse part. Jails by design are sterile areas and (Considering the population) bringing a gun may not be a good idea.
10. Re written to specify, when drinking alcohol.
14. Gone, isn't that a federal law. Seems Redundant.
15. Gone See #14
"Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."
- Dave Gell
Lets quit refering to them as "gun free zones" and start calling them what they really are...
Target Rich Environments, where the advantage automatically goes to the shooter.
I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.
AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Life Member[/B]
Back when we lived on the Orange County and daughter was being bussed to a really bad area school (This is not a white vs black thing, is a really bad area), I was armed if I had to drive her when she missed the buss. I enquired of the police as to the lagality, and they said as long as it stayed concealed, and you were not stopping and/or getting out of teh car, and had a permit, you are legal." BTW, I moved out of the county the next year.
I can see restricting certain areas. We had a shooting here at a courthouse some years back. Although armed citizens may have cut the total of shot persons short, they still restrict carrying.
However, the part about bars/restaurants and carrying-- I carry when we go out for dinner, and most places serve drinks. I do not drink even a beer when carrying. Not worth the hassel which would occur if I need the gun.
In statute 790 (Florida firearms) it even allows for theuse of self defence if you are even over the .08 limit. Scenrio: You have a couple (++) of drinks at home, and someone breaks in and you shoot him. Allowed.....
If you are in a bar or that area of a restautrant where alcohol is "dispensed" and don't drink, you are illegal if carrying...
IMHO, the big part I disagree with it the wording, and not allowing for "special cases"
Heres the excerpt from the stutes as 2012:
(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
(b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.
(c) This section does not modify the terms or conditions of s. 790.251 "which is the storage in your locked vehicle"
Overall I can't complain too much about where I can carry down here. With the exception of once in awhile having to swing by the kids' schools none of the places on the prohibited list are places I can't carry.
Personally I wish the exclusion list for places you can't even have a firearm in your car as an employee lined up with places none of us can carry...drives me nuts I have to leave my gun in the safe at home on work days because my place of employment falls under the exclusions with having explosive materials on property... Yet a customer could cc there without an issue because it doesn't fall under of any of the prohibited carry places. If you guys can carry there, why can't I have in my vehicle?! My personal pet peeve for FL carry...
My biggest complaint, and therefore the part of the law I would change, is the schools. All schools.
NRA Life member
A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!
On this subject what do y'all say about day care. My kids go to a large day care not state run or anything but does that fall under the school part of the law..
For the purposes of this section, “school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.
As long as we're talking about schools, bus stops are no-no's too. That's often not realized, most people don't consider that part of a school.
(part of 790.115)
(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:
1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.