Defensive Carry banner

Gun-free zones in Florida

11K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  MostlyRock 
#1 ·
To all us CWP that live in the great Sunshine State, I will like to remind you of the areas that are considered gun-free zones and would love your opinion please. First lets start out with the list.

1. Schools & colleges
2. Police stations, courthouses, chambers for county commission, & city council board meetings
3. Sporting events
4. Bars
5. Airports & anywhere federal law prohibits the carrying of weapons.

What is your opinion that NEEDS to be revised? :fal:

#6 ·
To all us CWP that live in the great Sunshine State, I will like to remind you of the areas that are considered gun-free zones and would love your opinion please. First lets start out with the list.

1. Schools & colleges
2. Police stations, courthouses, chambers for county commission, & city council board meetings
3. Sporting events
4. Bars
5. Airports & anywhere federal law prohibits the carrying of weapons.

What is your opinion that NEEDS to be revised? :fal:
Only a bar without a restaurant, i.e., Applebees has a bar area, but you are fine outside of that area. The odd thing with this law is that you cannot be armed in the bar portion even if not having a beer with your meal. If you are in the restaurant portion, you can be armed while having a beer with your meal...go figure (I'm not trying to argue 'guns and alcohol', just making a point.)

Airports: Used to be ok in non-sterile area of airport, was changed and I think there are attempts to change it back.

#8 ·
It is not stated in Florida Statues that you cannot carry in theme parks however I myself wont do it due to a great deal of reasons.

#11 ·
Well I guess there is no statute about the theme parks, they have no weapons signs and police as security, so I would not chance it. While I know the only thing they could do was ask me to leave, I prefer not to chance it with LEO's there as I do not want the drama. BTW, at Halloween Horror Nights, they have medal detects and searched with wands by LEO's. No weapons period. I will carry everywhere else though. I carry my .40 everyday 13 hours a day.

#14 ·
Two points...

1. Hospital with a mental facility...most treat some type(s) of illness, so this is a problem.

2. Florida law does not permit carry on college/university campuses and many of the hospitals i.e., Shands/UF are attached to most of the health facilities, thus no carry by law.

#13 ·
FS 790.06...

Frankly I don't have a lot of argument with the current prohibited places, but I can see where some might. Schools/colleges don't affect me, but it may for college student and parents with kids. Theme parks are not on the list of prohibited places, but I know the Mouse and others make a token inspection of bags, backpacks, etc.

I used to attend the Marlins games back when they had an actual major league team. That was pre-carry days at the Dolphin stadium with quick and easy access to the interstate and turnpike. Now, with the minor league-grade team playing in downtown, I'd feel far less safe going there.

The only time I visit the courthouse and the like is when called up for jury duty, 3 times in 19 years. I'm more concerned about places I regularly and often visit, restaurants, stores, malls, etc. That's my primary areas of concern.

#21 ·
You are completely within the law if you never leave your car.
With a permit, the gun can be concealed on your person or even on the seat/tucked between the seat and console, but covered (just out of sight).

#18 ·
To answer your question OP I think that colleges should allow concealed carry on campus and so should city board meetings. Over here in Kentucky, Western Kentucky Univ. just allowed students to have guns on campus but I don't know if they can conceal. It sounds like a good idea to me especially for late nights at the library, etc.

#19 ·
Okay, here goes:

1. Better defined as to what is actually considered a place of nuisance.
2. Not sure if or how I'd modify
3. Perhaps remove the courthouse part. Jails by design are sterile areas and (Considering the population) bringing a gun may not be a good idea.
4. Gone
5. Gone
6. Gone
7. Gone
8. Gone
9. Gone
10. Re written to specify, when drinking alcohol.
11. Gone
12. Gone
13. Gone
14. Gone, isn't that a federal law. Seems Redundant.
15. Gone See #14

#41 ·
3. Perhaps remove the courthouse part. Jails by design are sterile areas and (Considering the population) bringing a gun may not be a good idea.
In Washington state you can't carry in the "restricted access area" of a jail. However, "Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public". So basically you can drive onto the premises, bring your weapon up to the desk sergeant, and then surrender it. Florida should be so civilized.

#23 ·
Back when we lived on the Orange County and daughter was being bussed to a really bad area school (This is not a white vs black thing, is a really bad area), I was armed if I had to drive her when she missed the buss. I enquired of the police as to the lagality, and they said as long as it stayed concealed, and you were not stopping and/or getting out of teh car, and had a permit, you are legal." BTW, I moved out of the county the next year.
I can see restricting certain areas. We had a shooting here at a courthouse some years back. Although armed citizens may have cut the total of shot persons short, they still restrict carrying.
However, the part about bars/restaurants and carrying-- I carry when we go out for dinner, and most places serve drinks. I do not drink even a beer when carrying. Not worth the hassel which would occur if I need the gun.
In statute 790 (Florida firearms) it even allows for theuse of self defence if you are even over the .08 limit. Scenrio: You have a couple (++) of drinks at home, and someone breaks in and you shoot him. Allowed.....
If you are in a bar or that area of a restautrant where alcohol is "dispensed" and don't drink, you are illegal if carrying...
IMHO, the big part I disagree with it the wording, and not allowing for "special cases"

Heres the excerpt from the stutes as 2012:

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
(b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.
(c) This section does not modify the terms or conditions of s. 790.251 "which is the storage in your locked vehicle"

#25 ·
Overall I can't complain too much about where I can carry down here. With the exception of once in awhile having to swing by the kids' schools none of the places on the prohibited list are places I can't carry.

Personally I wish the exclusion list for places you can't even have a firearm in your car as an employee lined up with places none of us can carry...drives me nuts I have to leave my gun in the safe at home on work days because my place of employment falls under the exclusions with having explosive materials on property... Yet a customer could cc there without an issue because it doesn't fall under of any of the prohibited carry places. If you guys can carry there, why can't I have in my vehicle?! My personal pet peeve for FL carry...

#30 ·
As long as we're talking about schools, bus stops are no-no's too. That's often not realized, most people don't consider that part of a school.
(part of 790.115)

(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:
1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.

#31 ·
Read closely, Lish.

(part of 790.115)

(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.

790.25:
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Based on the two statutes and exceptions, it is not illegal, based soley on FL statutes, to have a concealed firearm in your vehicle at a bus stop or school pick-up area. The school distrcit, of which there are many, may have a policy in place.

#33 ·
With that I tend to agree; legal inside, not outside. But I would have to question what constitutes the "bus stop"? That corner at which the bus stops, both sides of the street, the block, etc.?

#34 ·
New Member, Hello All

Hey Everyone,

New member here from Palm Beach, FL.

I'm in the process of getting my ccw and choosing a new
gun for the carry.

I'm thinking about the Glock 26 Gen3, and I'm ready to
learn what I can here.

I took a class and get the cert, now I just need tpo go
pay the 112.00 and apply.

Any help would be kind.

I chose the name K9Fritz in honor of my late dads best
Dog Fritz, a German.

Thanks,
Russ

#40 ·
Hey Everyone,

New member here from Palm Beach, FL.

I'm in the process of getting my ccw and choosing a new
gun for the carry.

I'm thinking about the Glock 26 Gen3, and I'm ready to
learn what I can here.

I took a class and get the cert, now I just need tpo go
pay the 112.00 and apply.

Any help would be kind.

I chose the name K9Fritz in honor of my late dads best
Dog Fritz, a German.

Thanks,
Russ
There is a Dept of AG & CS regional office in your area. Your app will be processed quicker if you make an appointment and go there. However, it may take a while to get the appointment. Other than that, I suggest thoroughly studying the FS 790s and obtain Jon Gutmacher's book"Florida Firearms Law Use & Ownership." He puts a lot of the statutes in layman's terms.

#35 ·
Yeah it's a grey area for sure. I often have the need to exit the vehicle, whether it's because the driver needs to talk to me or the epileptic is slow getting off, or just to chat with the neighbors. It's a pain to throw in the lockbox if I need to get out in a hurry, but seems silly to put it in the safe before leaving the house since there are plently of days I don't get out of the car. I've treated it as the bus stop is the complete intersection where it stops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.