Gun-free zones in Florida - Page 3

Gun-free zones in Florida

This is a discussion on Gun-free zones in Florida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Read closely, Lish. (part of 790.115) (2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Gun-free zones in Florida

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Read closely, Lish.

(part of 790.115)

(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.

790.25:
    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Based on the two statutes and exceptions, it is not illegal, based soley on FL statutes, to have a concealed firearm in your vehicle at a bus stop or school pick-up area. The school distrcit, of which there are many, may have a policy in place.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If I understand it correctly it can be in your vehicle, but I am often outside of my vehicle at the bus stop, I don't believe it can technically be on my hip if I leave my vehicle...

VIP Member
    With that I tend to agree; legal inside, not outside. But I would have to question what constitutes the "bus stop"? That corner at which the bus stops, both sides of the street, the block, etc.?
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

New Member, Hello All

Hey Everyone,

New member here from Palm Beach, FL.

I'm in the process of getting my ccw and choosing a new
    gun for the carry.

I'm thinking about the Glock 26 Gen3, and I'm ready to
    learn what I can here.

I took a class and get the cert, now I just need tpo go
    pay the 112.00 and apply.

Any help would be kind.

I chose the name K9Fritz in honor of my late dads best
    Dog Fritz, a German.

Thanks,
    Russ

Yeah it's a grey area for sure. I often have the need to exit the vehicle, whether it's because the driver needs to talk to me or the epileptic is slow getting off, or just to chat with the neighbors. It's a pain to throw in the lockbox if I need to get out in a hurry, but seems silly to put it in the safe before leaving the house since there are plently of days I don't get out of the car. I've treated it as the bus stop is the complete intersection where it stops.

I carry everywhere in florida, unless there is a metal detector!

Do "gun free zone" signs carry the weight of law in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    If it is in the Florida statues it does, if not no but if they see it they can ask you to leave and if you don't they can charge you with armed trespassing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    No. Must leave if asked.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K9Fritz View Post
    Hey Everyone,

New member here from Palm Beach, FL.

I'm in the process of getting my ccw and choosing a new
    gun for the carry.

I'm thinking about the Glock 26 Gen3, and I'm ready to
    learn what I can here.

I took a class and get the cert, now I just need tpo go
    pay the 112.00 and apply.

Any help would be kind.

I chose the name K9Fritz in honor of my late dads best
    Dog Fritz, a German.

Thanks,
    Russ
    There is a Dept of AG & CS regional office in your area. Your app will be processed quicker if you make an appointment and go there. However, it may take a while to get the appointment. Other than that, I suggest thoroughly studying the FS 790s and obtain Jon Gutmacher's book"Florida Firearms Law Use & Ownership." He puts a lot of the statutes in layman's terms.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithls1 View Post
    3. Perhaps remove the courthouse part. Jails by design are sterile areas and (Considering the population) bringing a gun may not be a good idea.
    In Washington state you can't carry in the "restricted access area" of a jail. However, "Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public". So basically you can drive onto the premises, bring your weapon up to the desk sergeant, and then surrender it. Florida should be so civilized.

That's not nessisarily accurate

Quote Originally Posted by DooSPX View Post
    Also theme parks or anything like them...
    I haven't checked with them all, but I know that Disney in Orlando FL allows concealed carry. Of course they require that you are permitted to carry, but they are not a Gun Free Zone. Disney understands that a lunatic can get past even the tightest security, and the best defense against terrorism is their own security in conjunction with the people responsible for protecting this country and their families from all threats, both foreign and domestic. Granted they must be trained and qualified to do so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links