Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now? - Page 3

Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now?

This is a discussion on Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd do nothing. I've never believed in having a battle of wit, with an unarmed person....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now?

VIP Member
    I'd do nothing. I've never believed in having a battle of wit, with an unarmed person.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd do nothing. I've never believed in having a battle of wit, with an unarmed person.
    sort of like, never argue with an idiot, they will drag you to their level and beat you with experience.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    sort of like, never argue with an idiot, they will drag you to their level and beat you with experience.
    Yep, that about sums it up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    Fortunately I have never had that happen even my girlfriend ask me, "Do you have that thing on you"
    Note: Always carry protection!

Yes, once by my neice when she was 5 or so. My in-laws went shooting as a brass pro and I joined them. 1/2 the family went shooting, the other half shopping with kids. As is often the case with children, when they are not part of something (in this case mommy, daddy, and uncles and aunts shooting) there was a fasciation while wondering what had happened and perhaps why they were not involved.

I don't have all the insight into what made the neice behave this way, I love her a lot and she always wants to be around me. Her parents are gun owners but they also stress that it is something for grown-ups. The parents also provide age approperate conversation as to why they have firearms and carry them for self defense.

Perhaps because I tend to be the fun uncle. Well, not so much fun as I treat them like equals in some ways because I figure they need someone to talk to and someone who will be responsible for them and be the designated adult who takes them on walks or to a park while adults do what adults. Don't misunderstand, I can live it up, but I would rather wait till evening, while some like to start at noon.

So anyhow, this was a time that I was not the fun uncle, and I was with the adults. After range time, we meet the rest in a clothing store. The little girl had a lot of question about what I had been doing at the range, and I replied in approperate ways. It resulted in a question from a five year old I had difficulty with for a moment. She said something in a wisper, something like, "My mommy and daddy have a gun on them to protect us." She told me in a way that little children do when they are telling a secret.

I spoke lighly and answered, "Honey, I know, many of your aunts and uncles own firearms, but t is not approperate for us to talk about that right now." then she asked, "Do you have a gun?" I answered, "Of course, but really, this is not the place to talk about that."

Then she yelled, "He has a gun!" I told her to hush, but she tore of to her parents yelling (well in my mind, maybe just loudly), "He has a gun, he has a gun, he haws a gun..." It was maybe shock, mixed with excitement that she could tell her parents something she figured was big news, etc.

Imigine a kid in a store yelling he has a gun running from a close to middle age man. I smile, said to my wife as I walked by, "make sure they know I'm not mad, but this is not the place for me to be, see you at the car."

Just one of those things that happens. It was just a situation where she was suprised the uncle who sneaks treats and shares them before dinner, the uncle who (when she is up) does not drink, the uncle who you can ask to take you for a walk to swim or playground, had something adult.

Overall it was a good experience, I learned a lesson. The little girl was not punished but was gained a few reminders on tack. I also think it was a good experience for her to understand the importance of being prepared, even for the easy going uncle, for self defense.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I don't worry about it: here in Western Colorado I OC 98% of the time and nobody has said a word (except the LEO who thanked me for carrying and the one who asked for backup until other police arrived).

RKM
    I'd say "yep" and move along. I could care less who they are or what they think. If the want to argue, it'll be like arguing with a brick wall....... because I won't be saying a thing back. I'll be a moving brick wall. Away from them.

People need to mind their own friggin' business.

I've never been called out. I only noticed an employee at Gander Mountain years ago notice when my shirt rode up. He just looked at me, didn't say a word, and went back to what he was doing. This was before I hated Gander Mountain.

I personally witnessed a man who was open carrying get maliciously called out while food shopping... a bunch of sheeple started yelling "OMG, he's got a gun!"... The man was about 50' from me he calmly tried to explain that OC was legal and he was not doing anything wrong. the manager and a few other employees came to see what the problem was. after having a quiet discussion with the manager he set his hand basket down and left... This was quite some time ago, long before I carried. I felt sorry for this guy. he did not do anything wrong. some people are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    In the wrong hands, that's one dangerious colostomy bag!
    SHHHHHH:
    They will make us register them....

I was "called out" in line at wallys works. A couple in back of me with a young son were gigglin and making reference to something on me. I turned around and they were pointing to my tactical folder clipped in my pocket.
    I said to them : "The knife? I use it in my working rigging sound systems." They quieted down.
    Cool thing was under my shirt, IWB was a smith 642.....They did not notice that....

Nowdays with so many people carrying Ipads, and cellphones in belt holsters, hardley anyone will notice a weapon carried IWB under a baggy print shirt.

I carry a "dumb" phone-- one that just makes telephone calls. No internet, emails or texting. (All that is disabled).
    I carry it in a holster at 3:00 and my weapon at 3:30. SO if someone points at it, I will just reach under the shirt and slide out the cell, and say: "You mean this?" then walk away.

Just remember: concealed means concealed

I've only been carrying for a short time, but have so far kept it concealed. Now that I know what to look for, I find it interesting to try to spot other concealed handgun carriers. I'd never call anybody out, of course. If they were printing noticeably, I might mention it, should I be close enough to say something quietly without drawing attention. I'd want somebody to do the same thing for me.

As for open carry, you see it from time to time in Virginia, as it's legal. I'll usually give open-carry folks a nod and a smile of support if we happen to pass one another. A few months ago, as I was in the process of applying for my CC permit, I ran across a young guy in his 20's open-carrying in a clothing store. We made eye contact and I said something like, "Nice Kel-Tec you've got there." He looked surprised for a second (probably checking to make sure I wasn't a nut), but then relaxed and said thanks. I told him that I was shopping for a CC handgun, and he went on to tell me why he liked the Kel-Tec. He was also in the process of applying for his CC permit. We chatted for a couple of minutes, shook hands, and went on our way. Unfortunately, I doubt all of his encounters while open-carrying were that pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Tell them thanks for drawing attention to my colostomy bag.
    Talk about SHTF scenerios...

Sorry, I had to...
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Not a gun, just happy to see you...
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now?

deny it. it's not against the law to lie.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    deny it. it's not against the law to lie.
    It will be soon enough....probably a felony too.

One of two things:

1. Flash your CCW badge and say, "it's OK ma'am, I'm not a policeman but I play one in my mind."

Or

2. Pull a ninja move by throwing a smoke bomb down and disappearing amidst the chaos.

Of course these two options are really more for those of the mall ninja persuasion. A third option would be to just ignore them and walk away.
    Paymeister likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links