Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now?

This is a discussion on Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone been called out for CC in public? I understand that if so, you were not doing it right but I sometimes worry about ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now?

Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now?

Has anyone been called out for CC in public? I understand that if so, you were not doing it right but I sometimes worry about printing while moving because I'm a skinny 6.0' - 150lb guy and I always dress business casual with my shirt tucked in. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck with V clips and a 1.5" Crossbreed belt so everything stays in place.

What have/would/should you do if called out in public?

2. Remove Ads

Ignore them and carry on with my business

Re: Someone in public calls you out for CC, what now?

Do nothing and carry on. Simple as that.
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Don't do anything. CC is legal.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Tell them thanks for drawing attention to my colostomy bag.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

That's easy, tell them to go away or you'll call the police.

John
    Jeanlouise, Ransom and jem102 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Tell them thanks for drawing attention to my colostomy bag.
    Hilarious! I've also heard insulin pump.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Smile & tell them their haircut looks just like your dogs butt! (*Unless they're "calling you out" into the dusty street at high noon to settle this...once an for all!" In that case, call the cast of "Silverado")
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Great answer mulle46!!! I like it. I believe I'd tell them they were mistaken, and carry on with my business as if nothing was said. If they made a scene, I'd probably leave, rather than engage. It's just not worth the hassle, IMHO.

I made the mistake one time of carrying a back up pistol in an ankle holster on a Delta flight from Atlanta to Miami. Woman sitting next to me spotted it, and started getting anxious (to put it mildly). I was a LEO, lawfully authorized to carry onboard the flight, so while I don't typically advertise, I did make an exception in this case, and I introduced myself to her (with my badge and credentials), told her who I worked for, and calmed her down. We chatted for the remainder of the flight, and all ended well.

Just never know. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Nothing and move on.
    atctimmy likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Run!
    PEF and LanCo_EMT like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

We have open carry, so I would ignore them. In southern NH a lot of people come here from Massachusetts to shop, because we have no sales tax. Someone I know was called out when he bent over and exposed his gun. The woman called the cops and asked to have him arrested for inciting panic or maybe a riot, I forget. But the cop said he had better reason to arrest her for it. Then the gun owner, the cop and the store owner had a discussion about Kimbers, because that's what he was carrying. The states made it pretty clear to law enforcement not to bother people even for carrying openly

Senior Moderator
    First, unless they actually SEE the gun most people will not automatically assume that the bulge under your shirt is a gun and if they do they will likely go tell security or call the police before they will confront you. If it's just a bulge and they are curious and bold they will ask, "What's that?" and any of the above answers are optional.

However, if it truly is a gun they see and they are making a fuss about it, discretion is the better part of valor. You aren't doing anything illegal, but depending on the level of confrontation, it's probably not the time to get on your 2A soap box.

If it's a hysterical individual screaming, "He's got a gun! OH GOD! GUN!!!!!" then it might be best to quietly evacuate the location.

You certainly don't want to end up like Erik Scott. He stood on principle and got killed by the police for his efforts. Quietly vacate the location and then make a calculated reaction. Write letters to the press, to the store. No, it's not their fault they had a raving lunatic in their store but it may raise awareness to the issue safely without you getting shot or arrested for disturbing the peace.. after all, depending on laws, it may be your responsibility to keep the firearm concealed and you are in the wrong for making a concealment error.

If it's just a casual, "Is that a gun!?" You might want to be honest and say, "Yes, it is. I have a concealed carry permit and I'm sorry I let it slip. Thank you for bringing it to my attention." And carry on.

Be careful not to get cocky, confrontational or angry because that can be perceived as threatening and you could end up escalating a situation. These days you just don't want to take that risk.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    What is with some of this paranoia over CC, printing etal. As replied already, you are legally CC---nothing or no one else matters. FAGETTABOUTIT!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    What do you carry, how long have you carried, where on your body and how do you dress to conceal it. Maybe what you are doing is pushin all the limits od concealing. My son-in-law is almost your size at 5-10 and 140lb and electriction/plumber and wears a keltec P11 covered with a looser t-shirt tucked in only, or when weather allows. He wanted to carry a larger but could not conceal it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links