Friends that are way out of ??

This is a discussion on Friends that are way out of ?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at a LGS earlier this week and the owner used the analogy of a computer and a petifile using it to abuse children. I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Friends that are way out of ??

Was at a LGS earlier this week and the owner used the analogy of a computer and a petifile using it to abuse children. I think using an item that many feel an attachment to could break through for some.
    Milwaukesha likes this.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

2. Remove Ads

Historically gun control laws have been used to keep minorities from owning firearms. Therefore, using liberal like thinking, I have decided to call them "Racists." I have come to the point that I don't care if it offends them or not. The 2nd Amendment is more important than their feelings.

Here is the reference to prove my point: The racist roots of gun control - Clayton E. Cramer | libcom.org
    minimalbrat likes this.

I have some friends like that too and they either hush up or I quit associating with them for a little while. Maybe that's not the best thing to do, but it's just my way of dealing with things because the right to own and carry a gun is something I feel very strongly about. Everyone has a right to their opinion but I don't have to listen to ridicule is the way I see it.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

I welcome a good debate when the time is right... When at parties I don't entertain talking about topics that will ruin the party mood, when on the phone, I ask friends to table that conversation for a more appropriate setting... I guess this is my way of avoiding the issue, as some here said, it's hard to change someone's mind with statements or even facts... When the setting is convenient I usually respond to anti gun comments with questions... To make them think and come up with answers that may (or may not) take them to answers I would give them... It's more impacting if they come to the answers themselves instead of hearing the answers from someone else
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

By the way, even this forum can become frustrating to have this discussions... I have seen responses that are off base on not only the topic but also on context. Some resort to demeaning comments about style, punctuation, grammar, or other irrelevant issues... The best setting is in person over a nice cup of java.
    BIGSAM likes this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    IF thats his opinion I would cut ties with him. Just me, I'm to the point now where I am so fed up with the way things are going I don't wanna be around anyone too stupid to realize it.
    Yep, I have no interest in pretending to be friends with someone now, simply because at one point in time in the past we had things in common.

I lost a friend over the WI collective bargaining/ Scott Walker fiasco a couple years ago. The last time he spoke to me was after I deleted a particularly rude facebook post from him on my wall. He accused me of violating his first amendment rights. I explained that writing on my garage door with a sharpie does not constitute free speech. We haven't spoken in a few years. I miss my friend, but I am not going to compromise myself for him. Life is too short. His loss.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

I don't waste my time with stupid people; there for I have no liberal friends.
    minimalbrat likes this.

GH
    I'll gladly listen to other people's views but when they try to belittle mine I draw the line & that goes double when they try to impose on my legal rights. From then on they are no longer "friends" but just people I know. Even telling them that the US lost 12,000 souls, many of them children, to drunk drivers last year doesn't seem to resonate. Then I know for sure that they're speaking only by their emotions, not their intellect.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I recently got into a rather heated discussion with a friend on this subject. I let her rant and rave for a while. Then I calmly asked her if she thought I was one of those nut job gun owners that needed to turn his guns in. Well, she didn't know I had guns or carried. Pretty much stopped her in her tracks. Cause she knows me, but she didn't know that. All of a sudden faced with a responsible, level headed gun owner she lost her steam. She had to admit that I wasn't the problem. So I said there are millions of us out there. You don't hear about us because we aren't making the news.

She still doesn't like guns. But at least understands most of us are law abiding, responsible people with good intentions. It's a start!
    minimalbrat likes this.
    Question Everything!

Ok I really don't understand how you can be a hunter but anti NRA!??

I think many use the word friend very loosely. As my children were growing up I would explain to them over and over in different situations what a friend isn't. They needed to understand just because you know someone, you talk to them and even hang out from time to time that does not make them a friend. My husband and I for years hung out at the corner tavern on Fridays after work. We chatted about current events with people, laughed together and played euchre. This did not make all those people my friends. What it made them was friendly acquaintances. A friend is someone who likes you, cares about you and wants you to be safe and happy. Anyone who wants to take my gun making me unable to protect myself is NOT a friend.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    Yep, that one's mine (although I posed it a bit more graphically, but those who push me to ask it have already shown they need a little graphic imagery). It's especially powerful for me to pose that question, since I AM a survivor (I refuse to call myself a victim, or to become one again). The answers to my question sure do shed light on the thought process (or lack of) of some people. Those that still are stubborn enough to deny the usefulness of a firearm in that situation lose my friendship forever, since they clearly value their ideological fantasies over the safety and lives of innocent people.
    I'm glad you are a survivor! It was that idea that prompted me, about 2 years ago, to purchase my first firearm for home defense. I could see how bad things are getting and I made the decision I would not be a victim. Since that time I acquired my carry permit and as much training as I have been able to afford. Keep on keepin' MamaMaria!

I fight fire with fire..most of us who own guns are passionate about our guns. I say if you want more gun control and want to limit gun owner's. Lets have Pet control and limit people to the number size type of pets. If they are animal lovers/pet owner's, their tone quickly changes and becomes more defensive for their beloved pets. And how they would be angry if the Government tried to do such a thing. You have to meet people where they are and with what they can relate to.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "We're all entitled to our own opinions, whether I'm right or you're wrong."
    Like this one. Anyhow, you're describing my brother. He posted on facebook that the AK was to blame in Webster, not the sick criminal that should still be in prison. He forgets that no gun law prevented him from illegally obtaining that weapon. My brother then stated that I must feel my family is safer because I (supposedly) have an AK. Would it be in bad form to un-friend my brother and his wife?

Grrr...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links