Which state has most 'carry friendly' laws?

This is a discussion on Which state has most 'carry friendly' laws? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am from Australia, and once again I'm entering the Visa diversity lottery for the U.S. One of the main reasons I wish to leave ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which state has most 'carry friendly' laws?

Which state has most 'carry friendly' laws?

I am from Australia, and once again I'm entering the Visa diversity lottery for the U.S.

One of the main reasons I wish to leave is the fact that this country is systematically disarming its citizens, not just of firearms, but of ANY means of self defence (leave home with a screwdriver without a lawful excuse and you're looking at up to a year in jail... own a kubotan at all without exemption from the Chief Commissioner of Police and you could do 5 years). I don't wish to debate the rationale behind it, it's far too worrying.

Should I get my green card, I intend on doing military service and obtaining citizenship, with a view to moving into policing.

In the interim, should I wish to carry a firearm for my own protection, given I have no family in the U.S. and hence no plan as to what state to live in, which states have the best legislation and requirements with regard to CCW permits?
    PAX IN BELLO

2. Remove Ads

Florida is pretty friendly in the areas of firearms, concealed carry and self defense. Particularly in shielding someone involved in legal self defense from civil lawsuit.

Good luck on the lottery!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Here are some to avoid :)

DC
    New Jersey
    Massachusetts
    New York (City)
    Illinois
    Wisconcin
    California
    Maryland

Check out handgunlaw.us and packing.org to get a good idea of CCW laws in each state.

Personally I like living in New Hampshire: CCW is $10 for 6 years, no state restrictions on "assault weapons", "high capacity magazines", silencers, short barrel rifles, full-auto, open carry is allowed without a CCW permit (CCW petmit is needed for carry in a vehicle), fair self-defence laws, only place state restricts CCW is courthouses etc
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Minnesota has about the most liberal carry laws.

As it is, it is a permit to carry. Not a Concealed weapon permit.

You can carry a loaded SKS or long gun down the street if you so desired.

Their are relatively few places that you can not carry and those that are restricted short of a court house or federal building, have excemtions tied to them anyway.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

Oregon is fairly open. It's a shall-issue state; it disallows any agency but the state legislature from passing laws restraining the carry of firearms; you can carry darned near anywhere except the federally prohibited areas, courthouse grounds, airport secure areas; there is no formal brandishing law; and the laws covering one's ability to defend against attack are reasonable. Certainly not the "best" in the sense of allowing the least intrusion, but all in all I think it's a reasonable combination. One thing, too, there is so much open space in Oregon that there are huge expanses where openly carrying and shooting "in the hills" is not a problem. Heck, you can even purchase and fire practically any hand-held heavy / automatic arms, assuming you can afford the firearm and purchase a Class 3 permit to own, get the nod from your chief of police that you're not a threat, etc. It's amazing to see the size of some spent shells at some of the "hot" shooting spots out in the country.

The thing is, when it comes to the use of lethal force, you're going to have to justify, regardless of the state. That part doesn't really change all that much. You'd better be justified and have an airtight situation and rationale, else you're on the hook. Variation will occur with the licensing, where/when you are disallowed from carrying, whether you may use lethal force in defense of property (ie, Texas, but not Oregon).

There's a book that summarizes the firearms laws in states: "2006 Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the 50 States." That one might help you decide. Also, the National Rifle Assn (nra.org) web site has lots of material.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Virginia - shall issue state...$50 lifetime permit starting in 1 July 2007 (currently 5 yr permit), pre-emption laws (preventing of patchwork laws hindering gun ownership/carry)...only downside is no castle doctrine law and you must open carry in a restaurant that sells alcohol.

Upside--no permit needed to open carry

Vermont. Ain't none.

Quote Originally Posted by LTPhoon View Post
    Vermont. Ain't none.
    ... state restrictions, though federal still apply. As do standards for use of lethal force, defense of property, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    While NC makes it easy to get a permit, it is hard to carry because of all the restrictions. A trip has to be planned carefully or you leave the weapon in the car a lot.

How's the weather in Australia? You may want to keep that in mind before you make your decision.

For instance, Vermont may be one of the best states for gun owners, but it gets COLD up there! You may be overly more comfortable moving to a warmer climate like those found in Florida or Arizona. Just a thought...
    Last edited by mrchun; October 13th, 2006 at 10:42 AM.

Consider Missouri (MO). Our law (RSMo 571) allows anyone with a permit to carry in Missouri...all permits are valid here. It is also a concealed weapons law...not just a concealed firearm law.
    A resident of MO does not even have to get their home state permit... they can get any permit from any state that offers permits to non- residents and it is valid in MO. Also, you may carry a loaded concealable firearm in a vehicle without a permit as long as you are 21 years of age or older and 'lawfully posess" the firearm. Our background check process is thorough but we do not require an applicant to waive their medical privacy for investigation of their mental health records.

We do have a list of restricted (no carry) places in the law, but the penalty for a first offense is an infraction (maximum of a $100.00 fine). It's not even a misdemeanor. Obviously, this last sentence does not apply to carrying in a federal "off limits" areas within the state.

Finally, while Missouri does not issue permits to non residents, our permit is now widely accepted. We were stuck on 20 states recognizing the MO permit until June of this year when a few of us lit a fire and we've added eight states (DE, GA, MS, NC, ND, NH, PA, VA,) since then, We've also heard that SC will accept the MO permit but nothing is "official" yet. WA and MN amongst others turned us down because medical privacy position.

Overall, an excellent law. We still need to clean up our idiotic process of lawfully acquiring a concealable firearm (barrel length of 16" or less) and work on the Castle Doctine issues ( a seperate law, RSMo 563) but we've come a long way after 13 years of trying to get CCW which finally did happen in 2003. Quick reference is http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/MSHPWeb/P...es/SHP-863.pdf

indiana is very friendly.....

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ... state restrictions, though federal still apply. As do standards for use of lethal force, defense of property, etc.
    This is true. I was referencing the fact that you can go into a gun store with two forms of ID proving your VT citizenship (and other necessary documentation that may apply to your situation), pass your instant background check, buy a pistol, belt, holster, mag carrier and a box of ammo, put the rig on your person under a suitable garment and off you go with no further ado. There is a catch, though. Since there is no requirement for a permit, there isn't one which means Vermont has no carry reciprocity with any other state. However, non-resident Utah and Florida permits can be obtained through their individual licensing units which permits carry a bunch of other places that do have that reciprocity. NH and PA permits are easy and inexpensive to get as well and might be a good place to start....

I too like the Northeast...ME, NH, and VT all have good laws in my opinion :)

You might also want to consider how much of your hard earned income you want to keep in your pocket. There are several states with shall issue gun laws that don't have an income tax also. Texas and Florida are 2 that come to mind. In Florida, along with no income tax, there is no sales tax on food or medicine, your auto is only taxed once...at purchase, and homestead exemption keeps property tax reasonable. the one drawback is homeowners insurance rates in certain areas.
    Welcome!!
    Life is too short to be serious!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links