Defensive Carry banner

I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits...

8K views 80 replies 70 participants last post by  Ghost1958 
#1 ·
I've been around here for a long time. I go through stretches where I post frequently and infrequently. Through it all, I've always carried. For much of the time, I've simply dropped my 642 in a holster and dropped it in my pocket, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135gr +p. Sometimes I had a speed strip reload, other times I didn't. I was armed, and I'm good with that little snubbie because I've spent a lot of time and treasure becoming proficient with it.

In the last couple of weeks, that's changed. I've sensed a change in the general mood. I don't know if it's the tragic school shooting, the general economy, post election malaise, Mayan Apocalyptic prophecy nutcases, a couple months removed from Aurora, or something else, but I've got a new sense of unease I haven't felt for some time. Maybe I've just been paying attention more. Who knows... Anyway, I've gone back to my full size XD-40 (12+1) with 180gr Win PDX1 in my Minotaur IWB, along with a mag pouch weakside with another 12 rd mag of the same. 25 rds of 180gr .40 rather than 5 (sometimes 10) rounds of .38+p in an easier platform to shoot well. Much of the time, my beloved snubbie is in my weakside pocket. I'm prevented by HR policy from carrying at work (and abide by their choice), but I do now secure my snubbie in my car now that Texas law changed last year preventing employers from banning CHL holders from storing their firearm in their car. I hadn't been doing that, but am usually at work very early and running errands on the way home. Prior to recent weeks, I didn't bother. I've always remained in Condition Yellow-that hasn't changed. I am making sure that my wife and kids do the same, and am frequently talking through my process in parking lots, restaurants, and stores over the holidays, pointing out the clueless and those that I'm paying attention to.

Anyone else going through a similar mindset examination???

See less See more
#63 ·
I've changed from carrying part of the time to carrying all of the time. I've also migrated from carrying only revolvers to 9mm autoloaders and carrying reloads. I'm only carrying a Sig 239 with 2 mags, but I'm thinking of moving up to a double stack 9mm. I've asked Santa for a Walther PPQ and extra mags.

#64 ·
I took CPL class in order to carry to protect myself and my loved ones. I carry wherever and whenever I go out and of course where Law permits me to. Practice makes perfect and I figure the more I carry the more I become one with my pistol. I have always kept my radar on for the bad guys but now more than ever.

I feel most vulnerable when at my sons school basketball games and when attending church. Of course these are Gun Free Zones thanks to the Bleeding Heart Liberals out there and their failed policies.

G
#70 ·
I've been carrying for ~30 years. You name it, I've carried it. (My first was a Beretta 25 :rolleyes:) A while back I started getting a little lazy about carrying. Only carried the BUG. I'm now going back to being a "Two gun Pete". Just picked up a new 9 to add to the rotation. Time to start looking for a good OWB holster for it.

#75 ·
I made the change in 2008. I went from my beloved S&W Model 36 snubby to a Glock 26. I had reached the decision that I needed to upgrade due to the type of crimes that were happening in my area. Multiple perps, and the like. Also the fact that I've gotten a bit older and I no longer could even see that the 36 had a front sight. Even with glasses on. LOL.

As I've become a fan of my little Glock, I purchased a G17. Sometimes I carry that instead. Usually if I'm going places that have larger crowds.

I do have a Taurus 380 for when I need deep concealment.

I always carry one spare mag for any gun I carry. But I don't carry a BUG. That will probably change as I've been looking at IWB holsters for my Taurus.

I don't feel the heightend uneasyness that some are experiencing, probably from making my changes back in 08.

#77 ·
Not ccw yet but on my way

It does indeed seem to me that things have changed, like there are more lunatics running the asylum. My LGS just received my new XDXC .40 Springfield and I'll be in a CHL course in a few weeks. Time for a bunch of training and range time. Glad the wife icon board as well.

#79 ·
My EDC is a XD40 Sub Compact with a 12 round mag and a LCP as a BUG. An extra magazine is worthless if you primary weapon experiences a failure. The .380 doesn't pack a wallop but it is far better than a magazine IMO.

#80 ·
I'm in agreement with that feeling the OP has. Could be any number of things. Maybe the constant bad news finally passed some internal marker we have and we step up our defense. Whatever it is that causes this feeling, I've learned not to ignore it. Some of you folks are out and about all the time and stay current with the mood. I'm pretty much a stay at home person and admit that I'm not updated continuously with the mood of the public. Don't know what it is, but I agree, it seems more like there is danger "at the door" instead of a vague "in the wings" sort of thing.

#81 ·
Nothings changed but thats because I have always ccw d At bare minimum a high capacity 9mm, but more normally 45 or 357 with a 9mm backup. Ive been known to carry three guns at times and probably would be now but that I dont own 3 handguns at the moment. Something i intend to correct as quickly as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.