Defensive Carry banner

I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits...

8K views 80 replies 70 participants last post by  Ghost1958 
#1 ·
I've been around here for a long time. I go through stretches where I post frequently and infrequently. Through it all, I've always carried. For much of the time, I've simply dropped my 642 in a holster and dropped it in my pocket, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135gr +p. Sometimes I had a speed strip reload, other times I didn't. I was armed, and I'm good with that little snubbie because I've spent a lot of time and treasure becoming proficient with it.

In the last couple of weeks, that's changed. I've sensed a change in the general mood. I don't know if it's the tragic school shooting, the general economy, post election malaise, Mayan Apocalyptic prophecy nutcases, a couple months removed from Aurora, or something else, but I've got a new sense of unease I haven't felt for some time. Maybe I've just been paying attention more. Who knows... Anyway, I've gone back to my full size XD-40 (12+1) with 180gr Win PDX1 in my Minotaur IWB, along with a mag pouch weakside with another 12 rd mag of the same. 25 rds of 180gr .40 rather than 5 (sometimes 10) rounds of .38+p in an easier platform to shoot well. Much of the time, my beloved snubbie is in my weakside pocket. I'm prevented by HR policy from carrying at work (and abide by their choice), but I do now secure my snubbie in my car now that Texas law changed last year preventing employers from banning CHL holders from storing their firearm in their car. I hadn't been doing that, but am usually at work very early and running errands on the way home. Prior to recent weeks, I didn't bother. I've always remained in Condition Yellow-that hasn't changed. I am making sure that my wife and kids do the same, and am frequently talking through my process in parking lots, restaurants, and stores over the holidays, pointing out the clueless and those that I'm paying attention to.

Anyone else going through a similar mindset examination???

See less See more
#4 ·
i haven't felt any changes 'in the air', but as a retiree, i'm not out in public as much as most folks.

but i've always gone legally armed and carry at least two reloads for my carry weapon. and i try to stay in condition yellow as much as possible, although i too often fail to be as alert as i'd like.

i'll be interested to see how other people respond to your question.

#5 ·
Nope, still carrying what I usually do, when the occassion permits.

Reactions: .XX
#6 ·
I try to avoid as as many forced changes to my lifestyle as possible.

#8 ·
I carry every day, all day unless I have to go to a no gun area (Rare. I avoid them unless absolutely necessary.)

#9 ·
I just continue to carry my 442 snub and no other ammo. I don't expect to have a shoot out at the OK coral. So no need for multiple reloads. If I can't hit the target after this many years, I doubt another reload ain't the answer.

I am always amazed at how many guns some of us carry.

I think the real question is, unless you are a LEO or in that kind of business, why would anyone carry multiple guns?

Please enlighten me as to any statistics where one needed the second (or third) gun for self protection? (because I can is not the answer either)...

I'm asking real life, not James Bond. I really am curious...

#14 ·
I rarely carry a BUG, but almost always carry a spare mag. To answer your question, the summer before Wisconsin got CC, they had a pretty large flash mob of one race near the state fair attack random people of another race. Had they had CC, I would not be sure that if a person carrying a 5 hole revolver with no reload decided to defend himself that the 5 shots would have dispersed the crowd. It may have, then again, when they figured out he shot out the ammo, they may come back with murderous intent. I realize that this is hypothetical as they did not have CC at the time and therefore, there were no CCers on hand to take a stand.

#10 ·
Things do seem getting ready to boil over don't they? I've been considering making a change from my LCP to an LC9. Not because I feel under gunned with a 380, because I don't. But the changing dynamic suggests a need for increased distance capability that I would never have considered necessary before. Still thinking it over. I won't ever go full size, at least I doubt it. Just not practical for me.

#16 ·
The summer of the flash mob, I took my snubbys out of my carry rotation in favor of semi-autos. I will on rare occassion carry a snubby now, but it is no longer the norm.

#18 ·
I carry the same as the OP, an XD-40, but currently do not carry any spare mags. Recently, I have begun to think that this needs to change. I will be adding a spare mag and a flashlight, as part of my EDC.

Statistics aren't that important to me, but there are plenty of examples were people really *needed* a spare mag or a backup gun. Massad Ayoob, who was researched and studied a ton of shootings over the years, recommends a spare mag and a backup gun.

#19 ·
I agree...things do seem a little uneasy lately. Same as some here, I have moved toward carrying as often as possible. Bought a lock box for my truck in the event that I inadvertently visit a place that's posted. I always drive by the front door to check first to avoid having to go back to my truck to disarm. My wife has become increasingly supportive as well.

#20 ·
Still carry all day, every day. My EDC rotation is M&P40C or SIS Ultra. My Sig P238 has been relegated to constantly in my truck w/ easy access. The only time I carry a BUG is when I'm on my bike in an off-hand shoulder rig because I train shooting either hand.

#21 ·
Even with the nut jobs things continue to get safer on average. That said, the risk of copycat behavior is probably slightly elevated. I continue to carry my 1911 with gold dots and a spare mag. I may swap the 7-round spare for an 8, been meaning to do that, but it's not a huge priority.

#28 ·
Not to hijack but I was thinking about this recently, especially with the reported cases of body armor in the Colorado and Connecticut shootings. The standard LCR that goes with me everywhere has taken the back seat to the .45 1911 especially on trips to town or crowds. Maybe just paranoid but I feel much better with 230 gr against a wacko in body armor and the accuracy of the 1911 for head or pelvic shots if needed. Have others made a similar change?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.