I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits...

This is a discussion on I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ksholder I rarely carry a BUG, but almost always carry a spare mag. To answer your question, the summer before Wisconsin got ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits...

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I rarely carry a BUG, but almost always carry a spare mag. To answer your question, the summer before Wisconsin got CC, they had a pretty large flash mob of one race near the state fair attack random people of another race. Had they had CC, I would not be sure that if a person carrying a 5 hole revolver with no reload decided to defend himself that the 5 shots would have dispersed the crowd. It may have, then again, when they figured out he shot out the ammo, they may come back with murderous intent. I realize that this is hypothetical as they did not have CC at the time and therefore, there were no CCers on hand to take a stand.
    What do you mean about a flash mob of one race? Like a NASCAR race?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    What do you mean about a flash mob of one race? Like a NASCAR race?
    "Then around the closing time of 11 p.m., witnesses told the Journal Sentinel, dozens to hundreds of black youths attacked white people as they left the fair, punching and kicking people and shaking and pounding on their vehicles."

State Fair melees produce 11 injuries, 31 arrests
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I've changed from carrying part of the time to carrying all of the time. I've also migrated from carrying only revolvers to 9mm autoloaders and carrying reloads. I'm only carrying a Sig 239 with 2 mags, but I'm thinking of moving up to a double stack 9mm. I've asked Santa for a Walther PPQ and extra mags.

I took CPL class in order to carry to protect myself and my loved ones. I carry wherever and whenever I go out and of course where Law permits me to. Practice makes perfect and I figure the more I carry the more I become one with my pistol. I have always kept my radar on for the bad guys but now more than ever.

I feel most vulnerable when at my sons school basketball games and when attending church. Of course these are Gun Free Zones thanks to the Bleeding Heart Liberals out there and their failed policies.

Added a Ruger LCP .380 to the mix with pocket carry holster and or Browning Hi-Power 9mm. Wanted better concealment at certain times.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Not to hijack but I was thinking about this recently, especially with the reported cases of body armor in the Colorado and Connecticut shootings. The standard LCR that goes with me everywhere has taken the back seat to the .45 1911 especially on trips to town or crowds. Maybe just paranoid but I feel much better with 230 gr against a wacko in body armor and the accuracy of the 1911 for head or pelvic shots if needed. Have others made a similar change?
    They were NOT wearing body armor. If they were the last thing I would want is 45 ACP, or 38 special for that matter.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits...

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    They were NOT wearing body armor. If they were the last thing I would want is 45 ACP, or 38 special for that matter.
    What then? 10mm? .44 magnum?

I would love carrying my Sig 226 .... 18 shot mag .... but it's too big. I now carry a 9mm in my car.

I used to carry my p-32 just about all the time. But now it has been retired to ultra deep concealment missions such as riding my bicycle when I dont want to drag the extra weight of a larger gun on rides. At least Ive got something with me.

StarPD45
    I've been carrying for ~30 years. You name it, I've carried it. (My first was a Beretta 25 ) A while back I started getting a little lazy about carrying. Only carried the BUG. I'm now going back to being a "Two gun Pete". Just picked up a new 9 to add to the rotation. Time to start looking for a good OWB holster for it.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    No changes for me, I carry my P2K the great majority of the time. I do not leave a gun in the car unless absolutely necessary.

I've tossed in the BUG more often now. Also practiced more on long long distance shots.

I already have barrel rolls and wall running at expert level.

I've not changed anything when I'm out and about. Home defense has changed though, with the AR now taking the place of a pistol as the first line of defense.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I carry my new 1911 8+1 and have 2 back up 10rd mags. I hope for the best, but I prepare for the worst.

I made the change in 2008. I went from my beloved S&W Model 36 snubby to a Glock 26. I had reached the decision that I needed to upgrade due to the type of crimes that were happening in my area. Multiple perps, and the like. Also the fact that I've gotten a bit older and I no longer could even see that the 36 had a front sight. Even with glasses on. LOL.

As I've become a fan of my little Glock, I purchased a G17. Sometimes I carry that instead. Usually if I'm going places that have larger crowds.

I do have a Taurus 380 for when I need deep concealment.

I always carry one spare mag for any gun I carry. But I don't carry a BUG. That will probably change as I've been looking at IWB holsters for my Taurus.

I don't feel the heightend uneasyness that some are experiencing, probably from making my changes back in 08.
    Question Everything!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links