Defensive Carry banner

I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits...

8K views 80 replies 70 participants last post by  Ghost1958 
#1 ·
I've been around here for a long time. I go through stretches where I post frequently and infrequently. Through it all, I've always carried. For much of the time, I've simply dropped my 642 in a holster and dropped it in my pocket, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135gr +p. Sometimes I had a speed strip reload, other times I didn't. I was armed, and I'm good with that little snubbie because I've spent a lot of time and treasure becoming proficient with it.

In the last couple of weeks, that's changed. I've sensed a change in the general mood. I don't know if it's the tragic school shooting, the general economy, post election malaise, Mayan Apocalyptic prophecy nutcases, a couple months removed from Aurora, or something else, but I've got a new sense of unease I haven't felt for some time. Maybe I've just been paying attention more. Who knows... Anyway, I've gone back to my full size XD-40 (12+1) with 180gr Win PDX1 in my Minotaur IWB, along with a mag pouch weakside with another 12 rd mag of the same. 25 rds of 180gr .40 rather than 5 (sometimes 10) rounds of .38+p in an easier platform to shoot well. Much of the time, my beloved snubbie is in my weakside pocket. I'm prevented by HR policy from carrying at work (and abide by their choice), but I do now secure my snubbie in my car now that Texas law changed last year preventing employers from banning CHL holders from storing their firearm in their car. I hadn't been doing that, but am usually at work very early and running errands on the way home. Prior to recent weeks, I didn't bother. I've always remained in Condition Yellow-that hasn't changed. I am making sure that my wife and kids do the same, and am frequently talking through my process in parking lots, restaurants, and stores over the holidays, pointing out the clueless and those that I'm paying attention to.

Anyone else going through a similar mindset examination???

See less See more
#30 ·
Nope, still carry my glock 19. I will start carrying my kahr CW9 my lady friend bought me for Christmas whenever it comes into my FFL, I guess it's still in the mail. The only reason I'm carrying my kahr is because my my university allows concealed carry, but if I get made I may be asked to turn it into security or leave, but I really don't see that happening as long as I keep it hidden. Man I love West Virginia

#33 ·
All I can think of is "And because iniquity shall be multiplied, the love of the many shall wax cold".

Reactions: dean1818
#35 ·
I haven't changed yet but I admit that my LCR .38 and speed loader have been feeling a bit inadequate recently. I've been considering picking up a Glock 27 for carry but I am trying to not make any impulse buys. I'm going to give it a few more weeks. If I still feel how I feel now I will consider making a change.

#38 ·
Officer: Why did you shoot him with 3 different calibers?
Me: Cause I couldn't fit the shotgun in my pocket to make it 4.

Reactions: carracer
#39 ·
2 guns... 35 plus rounds, My world has not changed that much!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

#40 ·
I am retired and I watch things around me even closer it seems that my group has become a target for the sucker punch and get scrips or what ever I may have. I now live where my pemit is not legal and I get lonesome and all I have is my cane which was introduced to a young man and I did say I was sorry

#42 ·
I also have re-evaluated my carry. I suffered a shoulder injury last summer so have ordered left hand IWB holsters for both my LC9 and 1911. My lc9 will be for deep concealment such as work and the 1911 will be for all other times. Previously have only open carried the 1911. It will now be there for those times OC is not convenient.

#45 ·
I've worked in schools for many moons...always armed myself the moment I got home.
This summer that has changed...retired a second and final time.
I really go nowhere I cannot carry, so now I'm armed 24/7...I like it that way.

#46 ·
My carry habits remain unchanged. Same gun, same amount of ammunition. I removed the Sig Sauer sticker from the back of the mom wagon so I don't scare the others at my son's preschool. Teaching my son to hide, evade and play dead. :frown:

Reactions: Pistology
#57 ·
As crazy as always here in LA county. I am drinking less. Not expecting any political terrorism. Carry habits don't make one more effective than one who habitually doesn't carry. Training is something very different; and I commend those of you who allude to SA, cool stuff notwithstanding.
I am retired and I watch things around me even closer it seems that my group has become a target for the sucker punch and get scrips or what ever I may have. I now live where my pemit is not legal and I get lonesome and all I have is my cane which was introduced to a young man and I did say I was sorry
Was the cane meeting recent?
My carry habits remain unchanged. Same gun, same amount of ammunition. I removed the Sig Sauer sticker from the back of the mom wagon so I don't scare the others at my son's preschool. Teaching my son to hide, evade and play dead. :frown:
Welcome back, Betty, since Feb '09! Great advice for kids.

#47 ·
I was involved in counter/anti terrorism (on the periphery) for years . If you don't think Mumbai or Beslan can happen here you are deluding yourself. Will you save the day if you are appropriately armed? Who can tell, but probably not. Will you be able to save your own sorry hide? Quite possibly and having the right tools and and training to use them will increase your likelyhood of success.

Jim

#48 ·
In the last couple of weeks, that's changed. I've sensed a change in the general mood. I don't know if it's the tragic school shooting, the general economy, post election malaise, Mayan Apocalyptic prophecy nutcases, a couple months removed from Aurora, or something else, but I've got a new sense of unease I haven't felt for some time.
Anyone else going through a similar mindset examination???
Yes.

#51 ·
I've went from selling my XD-9 about 4 years ago (Never CCW, just had it mainly for a nightstand gun) To now where i'll be carrying an XD-40 everywhere in 2013.

Op, can i ask why you choose to run Win PDX1's?

I know they will always go bang and it will do the job... But it seems the general consensus has gravitated toward HST/Gold Dots/Ranger T's

#52 ·
I am currently running the PDX1's, but any bonded bullet will do. I carried Gold Dot's for years as well. The PDX1's function flawlessly, just as the Gold Dots did (actually, I've yet to find a JHP or FMJ round that won't run flawlessly in the the XD. I prefer the heavier 180gr to the 155 or 165gr in any of the rounds. I seem to remember I went with the PDX1 because I found a great deal and I purchased 250 rounds.

#55 ·
If we were to be hit by terrorists .... this might just be time they would like, a holy holiday a lot of air travel a lot of LEO's nation wide off for the holidays most of the Nation "in the Christmas Sprit" with our gaurd down ect. ect.

Yes, I'm feeling it too.

Can't stop whats coming (if anything is) but like you I feel we should have our collective gaurd up.

#58 ·
No changes here other than going over (SA) plans with the family again. One gun 31 rounds. When the crew is together we all carry a decent sized folder. My daughters know some basic self defense moves. Add a knife to the mix and one BG will get a little more than he bargained for. There has been a weird vibe since O got re elected. Keep the head up, gun cocked and feet set on go.

#59 ·
My carry habits haven't changed, but I'm planning on making a couple changes. I already carry all the time. Once I find a comfortable way to carry a spare mag IWB, I'll be adding that.

With recent events, I'm looking at adding a rifle and an active shooter response bag to my trunk. The bag will be minimal, as I already have a get-home bag. It's going to be a spare magazine or two, a couple orange SOF-T Tourniquets, Israeli bandages, QuikClot, HALO Chest Seals, and a few sharpies (to mark the time the tourniquet was applied, the type of hemostatic agent used, etc.).

There are VERY few scenarios where the rifle would be useful, but having a blow-out kit that can treat multiple wounds until EMS is able to get to them could be a life saver. I do a fair amount of driving and in a lot of places, there isn't a hospital nearby, so it would also come in handy at car accident where someone is bleeding severely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.