I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits...

This is a discussion on I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been around here for a long time. I go through stretches where I post frequently and infrequently. Through it all, I've always carried. For ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits...

I'll be honest. Recent events have me changing my carry habits...

I've been around here for a long time. I go through stretches where I post frequently and infrequently. Through it all, I've always carried. For much of the time, I've simply dropped my 642 in a holster and dropped it in my pocket, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135gr +p. Sometimes I had a speed strip reload, other times I didn't. I was armed, and I'm good with that little snubbie because I've spent a lot of time and treasure becoming proficient with it.

In the last couple of weeks, that's changed. I've sensed a change in the general mood. I don't know if it's the tragic school shooting, the general economy, post election malaise, Mayan Apocalyptic prophecy nutcases, a couple months removed from Aurora, or something else, but I've got a new sense of unease I haven't felt for some time. Maybe I've just been paying attention more. Who knows... Anyway, I've gone back to my full size XD-40 (12+1) with 180gr Win PDX1 in my Minotaur IWB, along with a mag pouch weakside with another 12 rd mag of the same. 25 rds of 180gr .40 rather than 5 (sometimes 10) rounds of .38+p in an easier platform to shoot well. Much of the time, my beloved snubbie is in my weakside pocket. I'm prevented by HR policy from carrying at work (and abide by their choice), but I do now secure my snubbie in my car now that Texas law changed last year preventing employers from banning CHL holders from storing their firearm in their car. I hadn't been doing that, but am usually at work very early and running errands on the way home. Prior to recent weeks, I didn't bother. I've always remained in Condition Yellow-that hasn't changed. I am making sure that my wife and kids do the same, and am frequently talking through my process in parking lots, restaurants, and stores over the holidays, pointing out the clueless and those that I'm paying attention to.

Anyone else going through a similar mindset examination???
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Yep. The world continues to get crazier by the day.
    sioux565 and mulle46 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I went through this awhile back. 229 and 228 got put back into the rotation.

i haven't felt any changes 'in the air', but as a retiree, i'm not out in public as much as most folks.

but i've always gone legally armed and carry at least two reloads for my carry weapon. and i try to stay in condition yellow as much as possible, although i too often fail to be as alert as i'd like.

i'll be interested to see how other people respond to your question.
    PatAz likes this.

VIP Member
    Nope, still carrying what I usually do, when the occassion permits.
    .XX likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I try to avoid as as many forced changes to my lifestyle as possible.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I'll just say that I've gone from carrying about 50% of the time to 100% of the time, but no change in what I carry.
    Nebraska12 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

GH
    I carry every day, all day unless I have to go to a no gun area (Rare. I avoid them unless absolutely necessary.)
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I just continue to carry my 442 snub and no other ammo. I don't expect to have a shoot out at the OK coral. So no need for multiple reloads. If I can't hit the target after this many years, I doubt another reload ain't the answer.

I am always amazed at how many guns some of us carry.

I think the real question is, unless you are a LEO or in that kind of business, why would anyone carry multiple guns?

Please enlighten me as to any statistics where one needed the second (or third) gun for self protection? (because I can is not the answer either)...

I'm asking real life, not James Bond. I really am curious...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    Things do seem getting ready to boil over don't they? I've been considering making a change from my LCP to an LC9. Not because I feel under gunned with a 380, because I don't. But the changing dynamic suggests a need for increased distance capability that I would never have considered necessary before. Still thinking it over. I won't ever go full size, at least I doubt it. Just not practical for me.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Used to have a J Frame 642 revolver--now have a 20+1 capacity FN 5.7X28 semi auto. I agree with everything you have said.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I went through this awhile back. 229 and 228 got put back into the rotation.
    If you ever want to sell that 228 let me know ;)

I recently shot out all of my carry ammo and replenished the supply for the Taurus and the Springfield. Replaced Speer Gold Dot 124 grain with Remington Golden Sabre 124 grain +P

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    I've been around here for a long time. I go through stretches where I post frequently and infrequently. Through it all, I've always carried. For much of the time, I've simply dropped my 642 in a holster and dropped it in my pocket, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135gr +p. Sometimes I had a speed strip reload, other times I didn't. I was armed, and I'm good with that little snubbie because I've spent a lot of time and treasure becoming proficient with it.

In the last couple of weeks, that's changed. I've sensed a change in the general mood. I don't know if it's the tragic school shooting, the general economy, post election malaise, Mayan Apocalyptic prophecy nutcases, a couple months removed from Aurora, or something else, but I've got a new sense of unease I haven't felt for some time. Maybe I've just been paying attention more. Who knows... Anyway, I've gone back to my full size XD-40 (12+1) with 180gr Win PDX1 in my Minotaur IWB, along with a mag pouch weakside with another 12 rd mag of the same. 25 rds of 180gr .40 rather than 5 (sometimes 10) rounds of .38+p in an easier platform to shoot well. Much of the time, my beloved snubbie is in my weakside pocket. I'm prevented by HR policy from carrying at work (and abide by their choice), but I do now secure my snubbie in my car now that Texas law changed last year preventing employers from banning CHL holders from storing their firearm in their car. I hadn't been doing that, but am usually at work very early and running errands on the way home. Prior to recent weeks, I didn't bother. I've always remained in Condition Yellow-that hasn't changed. I am making sure that my wife and kids do the same, and am frequently talking through my process in parking lots, restaurants, and stores over the holidays, pointing out the clueless and those that I'm paying attention to.

I thought it was just me. I put the 380 away and started carrying my M&P40 with an extra mag
    Luckey1115 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    I just continue to carry my 442 snub and no other ammo. I don't expect to have a shoot out at the OK coral. So no need for multiple reloads. If I can't hit the target after this many years, I doubt another reload ain't the answer.

I am always amazed at how many guns some of us carry.

I think the real question is, unless you are a LEO or in that kind of business, why would anyone carry multiple guns?

Please enlighten me as to any statistics where one needed the second (or third) gun for self protection? (because I can is not the answer either)...

I'm asking real life, not James Bond. I really am curious...
    I rarely carry a BUG, but almost always carry a spare mag. To answer your question, the summer before Wisconsin got CC, they had a pretty large flash mob of one race near the state fair attack random people of another race. Had they had CC, I would not be sure that if a person carrying a 5 hole revolver with no reload decided to defend himself that the 5 shots would have dispersed the crowd. It may have, then again, when they figured out he shot out the ammo, they may come back with murderous intent. I realize that this is hypothetical as they did not have CC at the time and therefore, there were no CCers on hand to take a stand.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    No changes for me still carry the 1911.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links