Changing up - LC9 or PPS

This is a discussion on Changing up - LC9 or PPS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been thinking about swapping out the LCP for an LC9. I might even consider a PPS. Not because I don't like a 380. I do. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Changing up - LC9 or PPS

VIP Member

Changing up - LC9 or PPS

Been thinking about swapping out the LCP for an LC9. I might even consider a PPS.

Not because I don't like a 380. I do.
    Not because I don't like my LCP. I really enjoy it

No, mostly I've been thinking the dynamics may be shifting in that the old 2 - 3 foot encounter range may be changing with the increased frequency of mass shootings. I might want to have more distance capability, which for me, requires a longer sight radius and larger grip frame.

My primary carry method is pocket carry, so I don't want to go too large. Not even sure I'd the PPS Is doable. Might have to reconsider a PPK, after all, that pistol can reach out a ways.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Of the two, I would go with the PPS. I would also take a good look at the Shield.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Re: Changing up - LC9 or PPS

PPS hands down. Zero problems and super accurate.

I have both and have carried/do carry both in 9mm. I almost always prefer the PPS. It's not that I don't like the LC9, but in practice, I found that on the draw I inadvertently hit the mag release and partially drop the mag about a third of the time. LC9 doesn't work without the mag in place.

I like both weapons. I am used to the long trigger on the LC9 and find both guns to be very accurate. The LC9 seems to conceal much "smaller" IMO. But I have no problem with my PPS and use the 8 round mags so I have 8+1 with the PPS.

Shoot both if you can. Both are fine weapons.

I have both also. Well, I did until my better half took the PPS. :-) I replaced it with the LC9 but I did put the Galloway hammer on it. Not the trigger bar, just the hammer. Send me a PM and I'll explain why.

But the hammer mode shortened the LC9 trigger pull to a reasonable distance. And the LC9 with the flat mag plate can fit in a pocket if needed, something the PPS cannot do.

The PPS is a better pistol and can drive tacks at 30+ feet, but the LC9 is more felxible to carry and at combat distances just as good.
    Chesafreak likes this.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    I have both also. Well, I did until my better half took the PPS. :-) I replaced it with the LC9 but I did put the Galloway hammer on it. Not the trigger bar, just the hammer. Send me a PM and I'll explain why.

But the hammer mode shortened the LC9 trigger pull to a reasonable distance. And the LC9 with the flat mag plate can fit in a pocket if needed, something the PPS cannot do.

The PPS is a better pistol and can drive tacks at 30+ feet, but the LC9 is more felxible to carry and at combat distances just as good.
    This has been my experience as well. If concealability is your primary concern, get the LC9. If target shooting is your primary concern, get the PPS. I traded my LCP for an LC9 and I have been very happy with it (after installing the Galloway trigger kit). I can shoot it just as accurately as any Glock.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

LC9 has over a year on clock and bout 800 rounds threw it flawless

Like it alot

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    LC9 has over a year on clock and bout 800 rounds threw it flawless

Like it alot
    How far does a gun get thrown by 800 rounds? :)
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I carry an LC-9 with a Lasermax. I know many don't like it, but it works for me. Yeah, the trigger is a bit stiff, but I don't consider that to be a big issue for a CCW.

Kahr PM9 or CM9.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

if Ruger had made the lc9 identical to the lcp,i would have bought one long time ago but they decided to add a internal lock,manual safety,magazine safety,loaded chamber indicator and a looong trigger pull..other then that,the lc9 is a excellent choice for concealed carry..i'd go with the Walther pps for the reasons i mentioned..

I have both. PPS hands down ! Shoots like a full size gun.

I can't speak for the PPS but if you are used to the long pull on the LCP then you will be able to use the LC9 with no issues. It's accurate and reliable. I carry in pocket with a Desantis pocket holster. It can also go IWB with ease.

I've shot several hundred rounds of various JHP and FMJ ammo with no failures.

My primary carry method is pocket carry, so I don't want to go too large. Not even sure I'd the PPS Is doable. Might have to reconsider a PPK, after all, that pistol can reach out a ways.[/QUOTE]

The PPS is almost the same size as the PPK so they both are borderline too large for pocket carry, depending on the size of your pockets.
    Consider the Kimber Solo or the Kahr PM9. These two are almost identical in size, both being smaller than the PPS/PPK. Easy to pocket carry.
    My Solo has been a joy to shoot without a single misfire (most of the problems found on internet posts are due to owners disregarding premium
    ammo preference....124gr or 147gr). These are the ultimate pocket carry 9mm guns.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

PPS is the way to go..
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links