Can you do it?

Can you do it?

This is a discussion on Can you do it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The majority of us say we carry for self-defense. However, most of us civillians only train in front of a flat target at 3-7 yards ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can you do it?

Can you do it?

The majority of us say we carry for self-defense. However, most of us civillians only train in front of a flat target at 3-7 yards and don't have CQC training of any significance.

I was reading "true confessions" in a gun mag recently. Woman shop owner tells the story of being robbed at gunpoint and at the advice of a LEO, purchases a small handgun and keeps it on her person while working in her little shop.

Months later, BG comes in, points his gun at her. She hands over the cash and as his gun dips down to take the money, she draws, double taps him in the chest and sends him to his maker.

Are you prepared to make that life or death decision? His life or your death? In those few seconds, can you draw, aim, fire? Are you ready for the aftermath of taking a human life?

I have convinced myself that I am capable of doing so when my life or the life of my loved ones is at stake. The more I practice, the better I feel about being prepared. I'll save myself and deal with the outcome later.

I'll be alive.

If you're not, leave the guns at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    I have convinced myself that I am capable of doing so when my life or the life of my loved ones is at stake. The more I practice, the better I feel about being prepared. I'll save myself and deal with the outcome later.

I'll be alive.
    Biloxi Bersa you hit it right on the head. Would I be able to draw my gun and shoot someone for no reason? ABSOLUTLEY NOT!! If my family or myself were in danger I would be able to draw and fire like I practice. I go to an outside range so that I can practice drawing from my holster and fire. It is like many people say on this site "If you practice enough it becomes muscle memory.". From what I am told if you practice a lot and at the time of the situation your muscle memory takes over and does what you practice.

This is just my opinion and I have NOT been in a situation that I needed to draw and fire. (Knock on wood.)
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Are you prepared to make that life or death decision? His life or your death? In those few seconds, can you draw, aim, fire? Are you ready for the aftermath of taking a human life?
    Absolutely no question in my mind that I will be able to handle myself if (hopefully never) the time ever comes. My reasoning is that it is all a matter of mindset...I have it ingrained in my mind that if that situation ever happens then it is simply a case of them or me...or them or my wife...or them or my son...

to quote a line from Samuel L. Jackson in Jackie Brown: "...and that my friend is a clear cut case of him or me....and you best believe it ani't gonna be me!"

Simply put, I care about my family too much to not be able to draw a gun, pull the trigger as many times as needed, and very possibly take another human life. There are bad bad people out there and I will do everything it takes to protect myself and my loved ones from them no questions asked, no stopping to think about it.

...having said all of that and even though I just passed my 10 year anniversary of my first CCW I haven't always been so sure of myself...it took me a while to get into the correct mindset...but I have the "right" mindset now and that's what counts in my opinion

Assistant Administrator
    I did a thread way back on mindset - which is what we are talking about here and yes - it is a very necessary ''ingredient''.

Many people myself included, would most likely feel a rage at being threatened and the thinking is not so much ''can I kill'' - as being one of ''I will NOT be a victim''. We are not planning on a killing as a priority but sure as heck we WILL do our level best to quickly reduce or stop the threat.

Training both physical and mental is needed to ensure we have the instinctive abilities, which includes good awareness to actually avoid trouble initially, but also should it be there and need dealt with - a resolute determination.

Our survival and that of our loved ones is paramount.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I tell myself the same thing every day before I go out the door :

I will come home today by whatever means neccesary.

That's the mindset. My family deserves that much from me. I lived through yesterday and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm living today and fully intend to do everything in my power to see tomorrow. That's how I approach it.

"When you know that you're capable of dealing with whatever comes, you have the only security the world has to offer." — Harry Browne
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I don't have to make a decision. It's already been made. Anyone who hasn't already made the decision, anyone who is still wondering if they could, has absolutely NO business carrying a gun!

I hope I never have to find out but yes my mindset is one of defending myself by whatever means necessary.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I really like that Harry Browne quote! :)

Are you prepared to make that life or death decision?
    Already have.

IMO, it's a critical first step prior to ever considering strapping on the CHL and a firearm. If one can't address the question or come up with answers, armed = dangerous.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well, I'm amazed at how many people are getting shot these days. A boxer in town (Albuquerque) was found shot to death in a car this week. Apparently gang members killed him. They suprised him and shot him multiple time.

It is really easy to get suprized and dead quick, wether you carry or not.

But yes, I've decided to return fire for as long as I am breathing.

If the situation called for it and it was the only resort I had, I would not have any problem with using deadly force. At that point it would be no different than the (hopeful) release of the bow string tomorrow on a deer or hog, or shooting a target like I do every other weekend or so. It would simply be using the tool available to the best of my ability.

One question though, for those of you who say if someone isn't fully prepared to do it they have no business carrying a gun. Does that mean your advocating additional mental training or psycological testing along with the the testing on the law and proficiency testing of a handgun to carry a concealed handgun as Texas has, or unconcealed as it may be in some states?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lew
    I am fairly caloused (sp) when it comes to the personal question of "could I pull the trigger" I know that I could. I know that in a justified shooting, I would be able to sleep that night no problem. It would not bother me at all.

My wife and I have discussed this at lenght. She would need the "Rightous Rage" to be able to pull the trigger. The anger is a defense against the uglyness of the situation. Hold tight to your anger as it will be a shield to your pain.

On a different thought, I cried the night I hit and killed a beautiful white lab. He broke the leash of the ower who almost followed him infront of my truck. The dog never knew what hit him. It was an innocent life that was snuffed out. I could not sleep that night.

For the most part it was looking into the eye of the owner of the dog who scooped him into his arms and turned his back on me. I just paid for the damages out of pocket and left it at that.

It entirely depends on the situation.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

DC Founder
    While I certainly hope I never have to shoot anyone, there is no doubt that I could and would if someone were threatening me or mine....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    I don't have to make a decision. It's already been made. Anyone who hasn't already made the decision, anyone who is still wondering if they could, has absolutely NO business carrying a gun!
    +P ! I have never heard it said better. I agree completely.
    Doug

Sig P229 .357/.40, G17, G19, G23, G27, Bushmaster XM-15, Ruger PC9 Carbine, Win. 1300 'Defender' 12 Ga. (among others)

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links