Just visited the TX Caiptal yesterday

This is a discussion on Just visited the TX Caiptal yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love Texas. I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Just visited the TX Caiptal yesterday

I love Texas.

I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dwsonar View Post
    I agree with the rest, great that you're allowed to carry at the capital. One question though. Why is there a seperate line? Seems like that let's everyone know who is carrying.
    OK, two questions. Which line had the most people going through it?
    Because the METAL DETECTORS will go off,not everybody with a CHL is carrying,some people that work at the Capitol got them so they could get inside quicker since the CHL lane is an express lane.I seriously doubt any gunman has the NADS to try anything there since he has no idea from where and how many guns he will get shot with at the first gun shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dwsonar View Post
    One question though. Why is there a seperate line? Seems like that let's everyone know who is carrying.
    OK, two questions. Which line had the most people going through it?
    The funny thing about the CHL line is, it is actually the general exit and there is a Trooper with a magstripe scanner there. And since I was there with the Wife and our 5 kids, the metal detector was MUCH longer .

I doubt it matters if a bad guy knows who is carrying, there are TONS of Troopers all around as well as K9 Troopers. It actually made me think of my approach to an active shooter, with all the uniform LEO around. I figured my approach would be to back my family in to an office and guard the door, anything other than the very distinct TX State Trooper uniform comes in the door I'm ready.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I thought it was funny that when this was instituted all the lobbyists got a CHL so they could go through the shorter line. I bet that really hurt some of them.

StarPD45
    The capital building in Richmond has the same procedure. I haven't been there, but know people who have.

When I was there with my family we had some bags with us. The nice troopers pointed out that if I carried them they would not have to search them.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    OK, I had heard and knew there were 2 security lines to get in to the capital building in Austin but I have not been in over 20 years to the visit the state capital. I took my family yesterday as a home school field trip, after my Wife finished up an Interpreter certification test.

I have to say, it was one of the coolest experiences I have had in a very long time. Not only re-learning a lot of state history, but as we walked in my Wife (who was not carrying) took the kids through the metal detectors while I walked through the CHL line. I handed my CHL to a State Trooper, he swiped it, handed it back to me and thanked me for visiting as I walked in to the capital building of the greatest state in the Union.

I walked around with my family, took tours, passed by state legislatures, all while carrying my trusty sidearm. And you all know the ending to the story...

Correct, not ONE person was harmed (other than my wallet in the gift shop ).
    No, Gun Free Signs at the Texas State Capitol, uh, who'da thunk it

This kinda stuff keeps up, gonna be a whole messa folks movin down this way
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Does it have to be a TX CHL or does an CHL with reciprocity work?
    Hmm, that would seem a good question for the out-of-state licenses that don't scan.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member
    When we say we live in "The Great State of Texas", we mean that.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I miss Texas too.....Lived there for many a year. It'll always hold a special place in my heart.

Austin is a great town and the Capitol building is something to see. Sounds like you had a nice visit.

The CHL line at the state capitol (and the way it came about) was actually one of topics covered in my Texas CHL class. I haven't visited the capitol yet....but I think I'll make a trip before too long.

I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could.
    mcp1810 likes this.
    USN Retired

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links