2 Weeks of CC

2 Weeks of CC

This is a discussion on 2 Weeks of CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I recently completed the requirements for my CC permit, and soon after purchased an SR9c. I really like the way the pistol shoots, ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By multistage
  • 1 Post By Stevew
  • 1 Post By KBSR
  • 1 Post By sensei2

Thread: 2 Weeks of CC

2 Weeks of CC

Hello all,

I recently completed the requirements for my CC permit, and soon after purchased an SR9c. I really like the way the pistol shoots, it's size, the different grip configurations, etc. Due to it's small size I can completely conceal it, without any printing (6'3", 235.) I carry in a cheapo DeSantis nylon holster that a buddy gave me, it used to hold his Glock 26. At first I found myself constantly aware of the fact that I was carrying. To be honest, at first I was nervous to carry it, perhaps it was the heightened sense of responsibility I felt/now feel.
    This morning, I was getting dressed, and my normal routine was altered- infant sick, older daughter throwing hissy fit, and the Mrs. got out of the wrong side of the bed ;)
    anyhow, I was making my way down the front steps to go to the car, and something felt wrong- it took a moment to dawn on me: No pistol!
    I guess the point of this post is just to express my amazement at how quickly I became accustomed to carrying, and the realization of just how comforting I find it. At this point, I would no sooner leave home without my rig than I would leave without my wallet, and every guy here knows how a good, worn in wallet is like a part of your rear end!

A question- if I already find this holster to be comfortable, and that it conceals well, will I be amazed at what a more expensive holster will feel like? I've heard only great things about the CB Supertuck, and similiarly designed hybrids- Do you gentlemen (and Ladies) think one of the aforementioned holsters is worth the money, or am I looking at a case of "If it ain't broke don't fix it?"

Thanks for reading :)

Respectfully,
    Sam
    Take the long way home...

Welcome! I'm new to CC, as well. I went unarmed yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks, and it felt weird.

As for holsters, use what works for you. If your current rig is comfortable and concealable, you're good.

VIP Member
    For me, holster selection comes down to stability and retention. Any decent holster will conceal moderately well. What I look for is a holster that will stay in place on my belt (IWB or OWB) and will "hold on to" the gun. You never what to be "that" guy who just let his gun hit the deck because his one-size-fits-many holster wasn't up to the task.

FWIW, I do like the CrossBreed holsters as they fill the bill on both of those points. There are lots of good holsters to choose from out there though.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

You want a good holster. Crossbreed and Comp Tac seem to be the kydex favorites. I am a die hard Milt Sparks fan.

Holsters can be a pain. You kinda have try several before you find what you want, and they are not cheap. Personally, I like a leather holster on the belt. I prefer IWB holsters, but have a few OWB. I have tried the Versa Max style, and it is OK, but am gravitating to the Summer Special II design. When I get my Versa Max holsters replaced with SSII holsters, I will most likely dump the VMIIs. I think Brownells stocks the Milt Sparks Summer Special II, and I think they now carry them for your Ruger. Look 'em up and see.

Once you get a good holster and belt, it's all you will run.
    NewtownSam likes this.

You are not really CCing unless you have a drawer full of holsters. But, yes a good holster makes a big difference. The drawer full happens figuring out what YOU consider a good holster.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

One size fits all, is really one size fits none. In your case it works though, so you can take your time experimenting and eventually finding what's right for you. Those of us that have carried for years, have all gone through the search for the perfect holster, and spent a gazillion dollars on it.

I personally like the Desantis Speed Scabbard, which is an outside the belt system, with no thumb snap to hinder my draw. I've got them for almost all of my pistols, and no longer experiment. I'd probably use an inside the waist holster, if I didn't already have too much stuffed into my pants. LOL There just ain't room for a pistol in there. :)

Welcome to the forum. Be safe.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

IMO, if you have a holster that is comfortable for you and conceals well, you're golden (for now).

i'd wait until you find some situation where your current equipment isn't meeting your needs, THEN look for something that does. as others have mentioned, most of us who've been CC'ing for a while have too many unused, or under-used holsters sitting in a drawer or box somewhere. no need for you to hurry the process.

an expensive holster will usually get you higher quality materials and good design (prettier and probably longer lasting), but it won't necessarily be a more comfortable holster. think Toyota compared to Lexus.
    NewtownSam likes this.

The hybrids are very comfortable to most -- Crossbreed, Comp-Tac (MTAC Minotaur), Concealment Solutions, etc. I like that I can adjust the retention tension on my Minotaur for my XD-40, but that's just a personal preference. YMMV.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Thanks all for the replies! For the time being I may have to stick with my nylon IWB, if only because Santa is gonna need to pay bills in January :)

Even though it may cost, I think I might enjoy the hunt for that "perfect" holster ;)

Respectfully,
    Sam
    Take the long way home...

I carried in an uncle mikes cheapo holster for the first few months and it worked well enough. Then I got my White Hat, very similar to the CB, and a 5.11 belt and it really did make a world of difference. It did take about 2-3 days to get used to it, during which I was constantly testing different heights and cants and I remember thinking that it wasn't anywhere near as comfortable. I got used to though and I still utilize my uncle mikes when wearing sweatpants or when running to the store but it is nowhere near as comfortable or sturdy.
    From the stories I've read in this forum this is usually the case with someone who buys a nice holster setup for the first time.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    A good, sturdy belt and holster should increase your comfort to some degree, but a firearm is meant to be comforting, not comfortable, as many here say.

Examine your current setup and decide if it is safe, concealable, and accessible. If so, then it is fine for concealed carry. If you want to try to increase your comfort without losing any of the other three variables, go for it. Many here have entire drawers full of holsters that they've tried out or worn out.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Sponsored Links