Cc'ing in the Mall of America - Page 3

Cc'ing in the Mall of America

This is a discussion on Cc'ing in the Mall of America within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I look at it this way. The individual stores in a mall ( much like individual apartments in an apartment complex) are the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Cc'ing in the Mall of America

I guess I look at it this way. The individual stores in a mall ( much like individual apartments in an apartment complex) are the only people ( tenants) who CAN restrict the lawful carry on the premises, landlords can NOT kick you out for carrying in their buildings if you are a guest or an leasee. So it does not matter in my eyes were I carry on the premises of the MOA, I am in compliance of the law. But I do not think I am going to get the real legal advice I need to answer my question. Thanks again, I get my info from MN State 624.714.

Re: Cc'ing in the Mall of America

Quote Originally Posted by Mn0341 View Post
    I guess I look at it this way. The individual stores in a mall ( much like individual apartments in an apartment complex) are the only people ( tenants) who CAN restrict the lawful carry on the premises, landlords can NOT kick you out for carrying in their buildings if you are a guest or an leasee. So it does not matter in my eyes were I carry on the premises of the MOA, I am in compliance of the law. But I do not think I am going to get the real legal advice I need to answer my question. Thanks again, I get my info from MN State 624.714.
    Not familiar with the law in Minnesota, but, it seems your approach is sound. Following the law is a one of the easiest things we can do to help reduce, both, the attacks we have on our rights and further restriction.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Cc'ing in the Mall of America

If you follow the laws then you have no problems. If it is a gray area and you have to chose then that is where it comes down to you.

To figure out the real answers you should talk to a layer or the police department. They should know the laws well enough to sort out any confusion.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

The police do not provide legal advice. Do not depend on them to give you an accurate answer. A better source would be someone who practices law, such as a lawyer or judge.
    "I dont like repeat offenders...I like DEAD offenders."-Ted Nugent

have you asked this on one of the MN specific forums? basically the consensus there is, its is legal, BUT how much justice can you afford? I can't say that I'd blame you for carrying there, if I had a better concealing holster I would. and while I'm familiar with all the reasons for carrying everywhere and all the time, honestly mall security and Bloomington PD do a pretty good job of keeping the rif raff down.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Can you post a link to one of the mn specific forums please?

PM inbound
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

If you are going to need a deep concealment carry, just don't carry a 1911 or a Dirty Harry gun. Carry an LC9, or something that isn't going to print. Nobody is going to know you are armed. I'm a girl, at the mall I usually carry my LC9, and keep my .45 in my handbag. There is no reason for anyone to ever notice I am armed. And if someone was to find out and tell me I couldn't I would apologize that I didn't know or see the sign, and leave. If I returned I would follow their rules, in which case there is no reason for anyone to complain.

But the proper gun, properly concealed nobody should know you have it unless you are going through a metal detector.
    CaptSmith likes this.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Concealed carry means concealed I visited a close friend in Minnie and had the wife with me which meant a shopping trip I carried all day there and would willingly do it again if asked to leave just leave
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

VIP Member
    Not going to tell you what to do or not to. Our local mall has the main doors posted with the gun-buster sign ( non legal size per state of WI.) BUT if you go into the anchor stores on either end of the mall and not the mall entrance there are no signs. There are no signs at the entrance of the mall from the anchor stores. So even if they found you to be carrying how could they do anything about it. I believe that is by design. Part of the CANT program?

Quote Originally Posted by Mn0341 View Post
    Yes, the best thing to do is read and familiarize with the MN statute, but I'm pretty sure there is a difference between residential tenants and business tenants.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Here is the what the law states and remember especially article E of the subdivision: Subd. 17.Posting; trespass. (a) A person carrying a firearm on or about his or her person or clothes under a permit or otherwise who remains at a private establishment knowing that the operator of the establishment or its agent has made a reasonable request that firearms not be brought into the establishment may be ordered to leave the premises. A person who fails to leave when so requested is guilty of a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this subdivision is not subject to forfeiture.
    (b) As used in this subdivision, the terms in this paragraph have the meanings given.
    (1) "Reasonable request" means a request made under the following circumstances:
    (i) the requester has prominently posted a conspicuous sign at every entrance to the establishment containing the following language: "(INDICATE IDENTITY OF OPERATOR) BANS GUNS IN THESE PREMISES."; or
    (ii) the requester or the requester's agent personally informs the person that guns are prohibited in the premises and demands compliance.
    (2) "Prominently" means readily visible and within four feet laterally of the entrance with the bottom of the sign at a height of four to six feet above the floor.
    (3) "Conspicuous" means lettering in black arial typeface at least 1-1/2 inches in height against a bright contrasting background that is at least 187 square inches in area.
    (4) "Private establishment" means a building, structure, or portion thereof that is owned, leased, controlled, or operated by a nongovernmental entity for a nongovernmental purpose.
    (c) The owner or operator of a private establishment may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.
    (d) This subdivision does not apply to private residences. The lawful possessor of a private residence may prohibit firearms, and provide notice thereof, in any lawful manner.
    (e) A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.
    (f) Notwithstanding any inconsistent provisions in section 609.605, this subdivision sets forth the exclusive criteria to notify a permit holder when otherwise lawful firearm possession is not allowed in a private establishment and sets forth the exclusive penalty for such activity.
    (g) This subdivision does not apply to:
    (1) an active licensed peace officer; or
    (2) a security guard acting in the course and scope of employment.

Now a landlord is a definition given by MN state statute 504B.001 of: Subd. 7.Landlord. "Landlord" means an owner of real property, a contract for deed vendee, receiver, executor, trustee, lessee, agent, or other person directly or indirectly in control of rental property.

I so believe mn does not distinguish between residential rental property and business rental property.

I want to send a shout out too ALL of you who responded to my thread or post in a calm manner, with out questioning my INTENTIONS, unlike another forum I will not mention, cuz I am not like that. If asked to leave the MOA, I will, even though I feel the law is on my side. IF I wasnt going into a certain career field, I might just try to fight it and become a test case, but I can not so thank you guys. If I need any more info I will NOT be afraid to ask it here!!
    Matt

Also I would like to post what a Permit instructor just told me. Here is the answer that I was told (not exactly verbatim). Although the law IS in our favor under that specific statute, the agents of the mall can still have you tresspassed under the trespass law of MN, so if asked to leave you must, it does not matter then or not if your carrying. Again thank you all for your input and not judging my intentions like another forum!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    the art of concealed carry is; carry a handgun out of sight as not to alarm anyone.... stay safe keep it concealed.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links