Another What-Do-I-Do question...

This is a discussion on Another What-Do-I-Do question... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting ready to head out for the night, and thinking a movie would be cool. As I'm getting my gun ( S+W .40 tactical ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another What-Do-I-Do question...

Another What-Do-I-Do question...

I'm getting ready to head out for the night, and thinking a movie would be cool. As I'm getting my gun ( S+W .40 tactical ), I remember a few years ago ( just after 9/11 ) showing up at a theater, and having employee's asking to look inside large purses and under jackets. It was cold, and I was wearing my leather trench, so of course I was asked to open it.

What do I do if it happens again and the kid freaks out when I show my piece ? Tell him I won't open ? Tell him I'll open away from everyone else ? Or flash my gun and watch his eyes bulge out ? Am I obliged to open my cover garment to a duly authorized representative when asked ?

No signs were posted, BTW.

2. Remove Ads

Legally they cannot make you do anything. However, since theaters are privately owned, they can ask you to leave if you refuse to honor their request (posted or not). Atleast this is how it goes in Texas. In Texas we have the 30.06 sign, but if someone informs you in writing or verbally that they do not allow firearms in a private facility when you enter, I believe thats is enough here. If it were me, I would refuse. In essence would you would be doing is brandishing (which here is Texas is illegal) if you were to openly and purposely display your sidearm. If they had a problem with me not wanting to open my coat, there are other theaters in town, and a little driving and a later show is a small price to pay for being able to protect myself, and my loved ones. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about those texas policies though.

Happy shooting.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Since the place is not posted, I'd likely use a deep-concealment method such as SmartCarry and head off to the movie, where opening your coat as requested would show nothing. No scene; enjoy the popcorn and the show!

Given the facts you offered, I suggest this with the understanding that I'm not encouraging you to break the law, since I don't think you would be.

I go to pre-release movies all the time. Sometimes they have a handheld metal detector at the theater entrance to look for cameras to prevent piracy. So far i've been lucky. Only once were they using it and I went to the bathroom to kill some time. Came back with my permit in my front pocket instead of my wallet but by then there was a crowd and they stopped scanning people.

I figure the worst they can do is ask me to leave. There aren't any signs posted about weapons.

Tell the kid very nicely you would rather not. If he asks why tell him that you have your personal protection piece on. But most likely what will happen in my experiance the kid will get snotty and say if you don't open your coat for me than i will get my manager . Best way to get around this is where is in the small of your back untill you get past the cinnma gestpo
    Why? Because I can.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Oh, long have I wondered about what to do in a situation like this. Fortunately, it has never come up. I say "fortunately," because I really have not come to a solid conclusion about it!

Right after 9/11/01, I went to a local movie multiplex, and of course because everyone had to look like they were doing something to be "tough on terrorism," they had some employees herding ticketholders to the side if they were carrying bags, to have the bags searched.

I was with several co-workers, people I didn't want knowing that I was carrying a gun. (I was carrying in a moderately small nylon shoulder satchel.) We were told to move to the line for the search.

I had to think quickly, because if I got to the end of the line and had to open the bag, not only would the pimply-faced teen employee (who I'm sure was well-trained in how to handle every eventuality! ) end up seeing I had a gun in the bag, but from then on my co-workers would know, too. Didn't want that.

Also, I didn't know the legality of showing the gun in the bag to someone, even when they had asked to search the bag. Is it "brandishing," or isn't it? As far as I know, this is not explained in any way in the state's literature when you get the license here in FL.

I didn't want to have to state, "I'm not opening my bag for you because it contains my defensive handgun," either. My co-workers would then still be informed; and it's possible that even if I could say it without them hearing, if management prohibited me entry, I'd have to explain to my co-workers anyway.

As it turned out, I was stewing to my co-workers on the line about the intrusiveness and uselessness of the search, and I left the line, which was parallel to a row of glass doors at the front of the building, and walked out.

I then went to the front door again, and when I ran into the same female ticket attendant who had directed me to the search line the first time, she looked at me and said, "Oh, you were already through -- go on in." So I never did get searched, but got into the theater anyway! Great security.

Upon leaving, I stopped at a booth and spoke with someone who claimed to be a manager, and I told him that I objected to the search policy and would not return unless it was ended.

It was ended, I found, rather shortly after it began, for reasons to which I am not privy.

I still do not know what the legality is, if I am challenged by someone in a store or elsewhere. What if I am at Walmart and someone accuses me of having put shoplifted items into my bag? I suppose what I would have to do is insist that I had not done so (obviously, I would not have, as I am not a shoplifter, period), and tell them that if they were going to continue to give me a hassle about it and wanted to search the bag, they would have to summon a cop. I would then explain to the cop that while I had no shoplifted items, I did have a license to carry a concealed handgun, and it is in the bag, and that's why I was not about to open the bag and display the gun to these employees of Walmart so that they could then accuse me of "flashing" a gun.

I suppose that the best answer for the moment is, if they won't let up, you will either have to accept being turned away (if you won't even simply tell them that you have a gun in the bag/bulge), or insist that they get a cop (in which case, after you divulge the presence of the gun, the management may refuse you entry anyway).

It's sticky. But it's not enough to make me decline to carry, that's for sure!

In the interest of brevity, let me add that "concealed means concealed"; so if you comply and open your coat, and nothing is visible, well you get it!

Yes, but sometimes it's a CCWer's coat that does the concealing! Like, say, someone wearing a shoulder rig or IWB rig under a blazer, for example.

When I carry in my small nylon shoulder bag, the gun is WELL-concealed. But just like the managment demand to open the jacket, they can demand I open the bag before allowing me entrance. The issue is, for me, what do I do then? Explain that there's a gun; open and let them see that there's a gun (both of those with the statement that I have a license); tell them that I won't open without a cop present (what a tip-off!)...? Which do you choose in that instance?

But are you really saying that it's not concealed unless it's so deep under the clothing that pulling aside a jacket, or lifting a shirt, won't expose a gun?

Either walk away whilst in line as others are being scanned/inspected, or quietly without making a big dealof it step to the side and ask the inspector to call his manager over so that you might talk with him. Explain your situation, be prepared to display your drivers and CC licenses, he'll review them and allow you to pass or politely refuse you entry.

This way no matter how thngs play out it'll be handled discretely and half the town won't know who you are and that you carry.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

peacefuljeffrey said:
    But are you really saying that it's not concealed unless it's so deep under the clothing that pulling aside a jacket, or lifting a shirt, won't expose a gun?
    What I'm saying is that if you're going to a place where it is not posted (legal to carry) and you know someone is going to ask you to open your coat, conceal such that your firearm is not seen when you open your coat! There is no need to walk away or bring about a confrontation with managment, simply carry appropriately when full well knowing you will be asked to open your coat.

I have five different methods of carry, ranging from shoulder holster to SmartCarry to a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. Each has its place depending on what I have planned. Given the situation described in the initial post, knowing that he may be asked to open his coat, I recommend a "deep concealment" method of carry such as SmartCarry. Repeat after me, "concealed means concealed".
    Last edited by JimmyC4; October 13th, 2006 at 06:03 PM.

A covering over the gun is all that is required. So open the coat to untucked shirt or sweater. Pocket carry works all the time.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I have five different methods of carry, ranging from shoulder holster to SmartCarry to a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. Each has its place depending on what I have planned. Given the situation described in the initial post, knowing that he may be asked to open his coat, I recommend a "deep concealment" method of carry such as SmartCarry. Repeat after me, "concealed means concealed".
    Hee hee! "Concealed is..."

No, I get you. Makes sense. I myself just thought about it, realized I have about five or so carry options, myself: IWB holster, shoulder satchel, shoulder holster, Thunderwear, and waist/pancake holster (much harder to conceal).

The most comfortable is the shoulder satchel, and also the most practical in this hot/humid climate. The only problem is, although I don't really believe it "screams gun" to anyone I need to care about (and I look more the part of liberal hippie, even though I'm not, than gun-totin' vigilante) it IS a bag, and thus CAN be easily seen on me and asked to be searched.

How I would love to be able to go with the pancake holster all the time, or even the shoulder rig. Those are the least bothersome (Thunderwear and IWB can get irritating). But I don't usually wear what will conceal those them.

Well you have options. Find anothere theater, IWB carry, or don't wear a trench coat. CCW is the art of deception. Think sheep, you don't want to look as if your part of trench coat mafi. Wear nice cloths that conceal your gun and call it a night.

If they have wands small of the back carry is best. YMMV

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svilla View Post
    Well you have options. Find anothere theater, IWB carry, or don't wear a trench coat. CCW is the art of deception. Think sheep, you don't want to look as if your part of trench coat mafi. Wear nice cloths that conceal your gun and call it a night.

If they have wands small of the back carry is best. YMMV
    Ya just tell them your spine is made of steel not rubber like the sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    Ya just tell them your spine is made of steel not rubber like the sheep.
    LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links